Solar power The right battery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I’ve got 2 renogy 115w panels. Had an odyssey 1750. Somehow it became sulfated and unrecoverable. Of course odyssey said no warranty.

So, I am trying to find out what the best battery would be for me. I am powering USB devices, and now a domestic CF 17 small fridge freezer. I would like to be able to run the fridge freezer non-stop. I live in Florida and typically have sun. Would be nice if I could run it for two or three days if cloudy.

On rare occasions I would needed to power a 4 ton winch.

Charging only from solar.

In Florida, so it gets hot in the vehicle. Luckily it is a desert dunes cruisers so it’s not quite as bad.

Lots of charge, discharge.

What’s the right battery?

well, seems like the cheapest upfront is a dual use Lead Acid. And that may well be the best way to go if weight (and size?) is not an issue and/or if funds are an issue. If you think a rollover is possible, then a flooded one is not such a great choice inside and an AGM type may be better. I don't know much about those though.
If $ upfront is not such a problem or weight is a big issue, then I would look at a Lithium Iron battery. Those are ungodly expensive, however, but much lighter and interestingly, could well pay off in the long run since they last much longer. Of course, the problem with a "newer" technology is that it will likely go down in price before too long. You'd have to run the numbers. And I don't know about running a winch with them, I'd be careful to look into that. But for strictly a house battery, I'm impressed.

well, seems like the cheapest upfront is a dual use Lead Acid. And that may well be the best way to go if weight (and size?) is not an issue and/or if funds are an issue. If you think a rollover is possible, then a flooded one is not such a great choice inside and an AGM type may be better. I don't know much about those though.
If $ upfront is not such a problem or weight is a big issue, then I would look at a Lithium Iron battery. Those are ungodly expensive, however, but much lighter and interestingly, could well pay off in the long run since they last much longer. Of course, the problem with a "newer" technology is that it will likely go down in price before too long. You'd have to run the numbers. And I don't know about running a winch with them, I'd be careful to look into that. But for strictly a house battery, I'm impressed.

Rollover is always possible so flooded might not be good. Considering AGM, something like the 31 series from FullRiver. Weight isn't TOO much of an issue, price isn't a big issue. Lithium Ion looks nice, hadn't considered that before. No doubt, new technology is what I always want, and it's always going down in price right after my purchase.

Bang for buck is a deep cycle lead acid-Like "Marine Deep-cycle" from East Penn. You can buy at batteries plus. The Group 27 is in the range of 100 amphours and $130 or so. If you roll over, you'll have bigger concerns than the battery. A true deep cycle might not do quite as well with the winch, though that's a pretty small winch and likely doesnt matter.

The Costco Marine Deep cycles are durable, long lasting and a very good value. I have one with a 2012 sticker on it that still works perfectly.

In 10 years, we'll all be buying lithium, but for now, it's too expensive and not a good value for truck use. And the high discharge rates of a winch will likely damage it. Check that carefully.

AGM batteries seem like they should be better than they are. "Cost twice as much, last half as long" is just about my experience too, with one exception.

Bang for buck is a deep cycle lead acid-Like "Marine Deep-cycle" from East Penn. You can buy at batteries plus. The Group 27 is in the range of 100 amphours and $130 or so. If you roll over, you'll have bigger concerns than the battery. A true deep cycle might not do quite as well with the winch, though that's a pretty small winch and likely doesnt matter.

The Costco Marine Deep cycles are durable, long lasting and a very good value. I have one with a 2012 sticker on it that still works perfectly.

In 10 years, we'll all be buying lithium, but for now, it's too expensive and not a good value for truck use. And the high discharge rates of a winch will likely damage it. Check that carefully.

AGM batteries seem like they should be better than they are. "Cost twice as much, last half as long" is just about my experience too, with one exception.

@Cruiserdrew Which brand of AGM battery were you referring to that doesn't follow the "Cost twice as much, last half as long" experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom