soft vs. hard (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
how about it guys would you rather have a hard or soft top? i live in kansas city and it gets quite cold in the winter not shure if the heaters will keep up. im thinking of buying kayleen's new top the one with the zip out sides

I've got the factory hard top and a Bestop Tigertop from Sor. The Tiger Top is the best non-oem softtop available for a land cruiser, thickest material.
Haven't used the soft top in the winter yet, but it sure is damn hot in the summer! The Hard top is quite toasty with a functioning heater, I bet the soft top with hard doors will be the same. (the included soft doors don't seal as well as hard doors.)

Hard top a must up here in Vermont. Use bikini all summer. Summer isn't very long or warm here. If the season were longer I'd get a Soft top. :D

Hey, KCChevota, I'm in the KC area too. I run currently a bikini in the summer and a hard-on in the winter. Just installed the rear heater and think it would heat a soft top, too. The heater cores are the first to plug up with crap, you should make sure the cores are unclogged and the fan(s) are functioning. With a V8, assuming Chevota means V8, you should have no trouble heating either. Sorry to admit I had a CJ 7 and with the rear zip broken, still made my feet sweat with snow blowing in on the back of my head. Can't attest to the comfort level of the pass, though.
GL :) :)
Ed Long
I'm in Harrisonville, '66(sort of)FJ40

I vote for the hardtop, theres ony a few months of summer left for you guys up north.

no top, no doors, no heater....you people are wussies!

DSCF0070.JPG

The rear heater is great when it works. I always had some drafts with my old Bestop...finally opted to make the rig a "trailer queen" and just run the bikini or nothing all season. Granted, it doesn't see much street time in the winter now! lol

Should have seen the looks I got in Nov 02 tho....drove the truck to a buddies for a new cage, flurries out. No top, windshield folded down, cage removed, seats piled in back, sitting on a milk crate...the 2 cops who saw me just waved and shook their heads!!

I live in western Massachusetts. Hard top winter, no top summer. Hey woody, nice pic but Where i live that is not snow. That is a light dusting!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
db

If you choose a soft-top, I'd go with the new Kayline top. I've got the tiger top and it blows, yes it has thick material, but the velcro suxs balls. I've heard good things about the Kayline or Ehsan's paki OEM soft-tops.

[quote author=fsusteve link=board=1;threadid=4927;start=msg37821#msg37821 date=1062681145]
If you choose a soft-top, I'd go with the new Kayline top. I've got the tiger top and it blows, yes it has thick material, but the velcro suxs balls. I've heard good things about the Kayline or Ehsan's paki OEM soft-tops.
[/quote]
Yes that is the one problem I have had with my best top. I'm thinking about getting a shop to either sew in zippers or I'll put in some snaps.

thanks all im planing on using the stc (kayline) fast trac top called for color swatches today

i live in south eastern PA, and have gone a couple ways.
soft top(5yr old kayline)/soft doors, was'nt TOO bad over winter.

soft top/ hard doors was quite do-able this past winter(and what a winter it was).

this yr one of two things is going to happen, IF i get the 60 finished AND finish the hard top , i'll have that on for winter. however if the top isn't finished for winter i'll be running a bikini(hope it does'nt snow!!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom