Soft Shackles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had a buddy of mine make me up some soft shackles out of 7/16 amsteel SK-78 at 23,900lbs strength....will see how much I like them...so much lighter than the steel shackle...

004.JPG

014.JPG

018.JPG

Nice job!

I have a few of the Bubba Rope soft shackles and they have been used many,many times. I love them, they're light, strong, high viz green, AND they float!

I think you'll find yourself a convert.

They look great!
How did you get the knots tight? Is that a tested rating?

I got em tight by backing up a few times, by lightly shock loading the softies ;)....they were hooked up to my F450 as anchor point...

001.JPG

002.JPG

I've got both, soft & hard shackles...but I always seem to use the hard ones and maybe I'm worried about nothing, but the reason for using the hard ones first is that I'm worried someone will steal the soft ones if I leave them on the bumper like I do the hard shackles...so I carry them in my recovery bag.

I carry 4 hard shackles, 3 on the front bumper & one in the pintle on the rear. That way they are always there and at the ready. I never see anyone caring soft shackLes on their bumpers...has anyone 'ever' had their soft shackles stolen or vandalized? Again, maybe I'm worrying about a non-issue.

Last edited:
Worth watching

I have found that using a shoft shackle in wet and muddy conditions brings out the suck! They get bound up and hard to use. Give me a hard rated shackle all day long!

Did not think of that. Good info to know.

I have found that using a shoft shackle in wet and muddy conditions brings out the suck! They get bound up and hard to use. Give me a hard rated shackle all day long!

I made 3 soft shackles 6", 8" and 9" out of 7/16 amsteel blue...the button knot is the hardest part to tie.

Spliced up a 100ft 3/8 dyneema extension for the far away tree ....

006.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

001.JPG

John Mcvicker has been wheeling since before you were born and I doubt he goes to the mall.
Only mall crawlers leave their shackles on the vehicle. Shackles go in your bag, hard or soft. :flipoff2:
:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

Last edited:
Mall?? I live 2 hours from a Walmart...what is this mall @gnob speaks of?👍👍👍💅💅💅

but the reason for using the hard ones first is that I'm worried someone will steal the soft ones if I leave them on the bumper like I do the hard shackles...so I carry them in my recovery bag.

I carry 4 hard shackles, 3 on the front bumper & one in the pintle on the rear. That way they are always there and at the ready. I never see anyone caring soft shackLes on their bumpers...

UV rays are hard on synthetic line so that would be a reason not to keep them long term on the outside of your rig

Okay, I know it was an old comment, but I don't bounce through here often. I have to ask... Why exactly is it that I am a mall cruiser if I leave a shackle attached to my rig? This should be interesting. and enlightening to more than a few of the guys around here. Hopefully I won't loose my guiding gigs now that I have been outed as a Mall Cruiser!

Mark...

Yeah, me too. I’d like to read comments that ‘try’ to explain that comment.

Hanging your shackle on the bumper is, IMO the same stupid shyt as the Heep frowny face grille.

Is it really adding value/function or are you just showing your shyt?
Do you run six light bars too?
Do you haul all your gear and shyt on your rig and actually use it three times during the year?
What makes getting a soft shackle stolen more likely?
****ing jangling azz noise all the gd time...

Just because you're old or have been doing something your entire life, doesn't make it right :flipoff2:

Okay. Yep, about what I expected. I had a long reply written out. But realized it was pointless. You keep on doing what you do and I will keep on doing what I do.

Mark...

Feeling cute, think I’ll go to the mall and crawl over some speed bumps.
42D46F9A-6D4E-4FE0-8D60-935F9F59D617.jpeg

Right behind ya!

AF112640-CEAF-4B58-8B68-A6E6B9706E13.png

I went up to 1/2" samson dyneema for soft shackle, rated at 30k...1/2" seems more durable and will still fit thru recovery points...I have enough rope to make one more, takes about 8ft for a 10" opening and tying the button knot...

005.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom