SoCalFrank's Drawer Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is exactly what I hoped to build but you seem to have experience. I want a removable cargo barrier that ends behind the rear seat. I d remove it to sleep. Maybe there could be another slot behind the front seats to move it into when sleeping. If you don't want to sell them then maybe you could teach the carpentry novices a great recipe down to the material, fastener and measurements. Beautiful craftsmanship. I even like the way you pack, no rattle.

I would love to build my own drawer system like this! :cheers:

LinedInstall7.jpg

the birch plywood yah use was 3/4" thick.. how much did yah have to rotor into the wood to make the tracks look flush ?

What is the total weight on your set up??

It does look bad ass !!

Thanks for posting...

WOW - Thanks guys! I appreciate all the kudos.

The track is Core-Trax (already powder coated black)
Core-Trax.jpg

I think I took 3/8 off for the track to sit flush.

Here is the Stained Black Version
BB-StainedBlack.jpg

This one was made with the 2nd row lying down
StainedBlack15.jpg

I figured out the wings could not be opened with the 2nd row seats upright.
So I trimmed the wings and added the trimmed pieces to the drawer back board and added some L-brackets to support the weight.
LinedInstall5.jpg

LinedInstall26.jpg

With a single drawer design like that, what do you use to support it in the center? I don't see any vertical support nor a framed structure to keep a 200# person from concaving the top.

It would take more than a 200 pound person to cave in a peice of 3/4" plywood. Especially the nice stuff Frank used.
Lots of cool ideas, my steel frame is the same height as yours, i'm gonna try the seat block lift to see if its flush with my drawer.

Very, very nice!

I was curious what you used for drawer glides?

I did something similar in the back of my 73 series. However my wings just like to rattle. Do the hinges you used put downward force onto your supports. Do you have a way to lock the wings down?

Cheers

John

SoCalFrank said:
The 2nd row seat risers are cut and notched 2x4 to give the 2nd row the same height as the 13.5 in tall cabinet

Thank you for this, I will have to steel this for my cargo sleeper. Wish I would have seen it before I slept in back Sat night.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD App

Very nice, excellent job :clap: almost make's me want to try to build some thing like that

Yeah the 3/4" Birch plywood does not flex with that size of cabinet. For the bigger boys I can always put in a small block right at the drawer dividers to make the dividers act as the supports you're looking for.

Before I used bed liner on the drawer system it did rattle a bit I was going to use "Roller catch" to hold them down.
29785-02-200.jpg

I didn't need to use them because the bed liner took care of the rattle.

I really went back and forth in designing the drawer system because I also wanted it to be a sleeping platform and not have to use additional wood or pull out the 2nd row. I think the 13.5' height and the seat risers are a great combo. I also like the fact that I can pack fluids in the drawer and it's the right height.

I used 8 cabinet drawer rollers on the bottom and 2 on the sides.
rollers.jpg

Here are some measurements

Drawer Box Interior
35¼” wide
39¾” long
9” deep

Exterior
42¾” wide
40” Long
13½” tall

What type of bed-liner did you use ?

MANUCHAO said:
What type of bed-liner did you use ?

Tuff Skin Bedliner

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

looks very nice. Best/most used mod i've done in the cruiser.

Frank, impressive build! Looks high quality. I may have to re-do my top to match yours. I really like the Core-Trax and the hinged sides. What hinges are those and where didi you source them?

:cheers:

Derrick

Could you show us a photo of how you placed used your drawer rollers. This would give us a look at how you managed to move the weight with the drawer full. Thanks.

Do you remember the length and weight ratings of the slides you used? Looks awesome btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom