Wanted SoCal: FJ55 Column Shift Column assembly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EWheeler

4 Cruisers, No Garage !
GOLD Star
Threads
I recently became aware that the early FJ55 steering column with column shift assembly is very different than the FJ40 setup of the same vintage. A member offered one to me for sale, but shipping makes it a more costly transaction than what I really want to spend on these parts. I am interested in buying an early fj55 steering column assembly, complete with shifter and turn signal housing, but without steering wheel or steering box. I would like to play with one of these and see if it would allow me to add factory PS box to my FJ40 while maintaining the column shift function. Would also be interested in the column/trans shifter linkages. I realize the firewalls are likely very different and this is not by any means plug & play. Looking for something local to me in SoCal I can pickup - LA County/SB County/Riverside County/San Diego County areas.

I would be also interested to know if these columns had 36 or 33 spline count for the steering wheel hub. Mid year 1969 FJ40 production models transitioned from 36 to 33, and I prefer to stay with 33 splines to use my nice factory steering wheel.

Thanks,

Evan

Photo of early FJ55 column for reference borrowed from an old long gone sale ad here on the forum:

IMG_1654.jpg

Factory PS wasn't available on 55s until 1979 (IIRC). Is there something about the early 55 setup that you think lends itself to PS easier than your OEM setup? Just curious.
With the early 55 column the steering shaft terminates at the firewall and the column shifter is also terminated right at the firewall. On the column shifted FJ40s', the column/shaft extends all the way to the manual steering box, and the column shift rod's end support is by an integrated housing @ the column/manual steering box housing interface.

I posted a photo in another want add of the column shift setup (not complete in the photos, but I don't need the FJ40 column shift stuff as I have a complete spare shift rod and linkages).

The factory PS housing from the FJ40 is longer towards the firewall so lots of custom work required to try and keep column shift and modify the steering shaft to work with the longer PS housing. The steering shaft mods are very simple; cut shaft from steering box, trim column tube back to firewal, cut steering shaft a bit longer than end of column tube, bang on a bushing/bearing to center the shaft in the column tube, and build a support plate and weld plate to column tube at firewall to secure the bottom end of the column (that was previously supported by the steering box housing). Connection from steering shaft to PS box input shaft can be done a number of ways, easy by just buying the right parts. The hard part here is keeping the column shifter, which is an absolute must for me on my '71. So I am hunting for an early FJ55 steering column shifter setup to play with and see if it may work better for me. I'm not married to the OEM PS box for PS, but I have an OEM PS box and want things to look at correct as possible. This is a truck on 37x12.5" tires and is a street queen, it will never see off-road use. I just need some help steering those big meats on the asphalt.

Can you go with the electric assist PS? I have heard very good feedback on those that have it installed.
I could, yes. Still lots of custom fabrication required to install and make the column shifter still work, but ultimately would probably end up as the cleanest solution.

I had that sitting in the garage from a 7/70. I am not sure if I have it still or what shape it is in. If I do and you want it you can have it for shipping which I should be able to get discounted shipping. Anyway, if you are interested pm me and I will go look tomorrow. If found I will shoot some photos.

I’m going to part out a 71, but can’t commit when that will happen, as I have been a flake as far as shipping goes, but I did get 3 out today after going through piles

I’m going to part out a 71, but can’t commit when that will happen, as I have been a flake as far as shipping goes, but I did get 3 out today after going through piles
I'm never in a hurry, but I may come up with a solution before your part it out. If you think of me/this thread when you get to it, drop me a line and we'll see where I'm at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom