SOA Traction Bar Mount (Repost from 40 Section) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DangerNoodle

Essentially a fire wielding monkey.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
I've never really done any SOA stuff before, so to you guys that have: Is the factory cross-member behind the t-case an acceptable place to mount a traction bar, or is it too weak? Where have you guys mounted them?

20201008_171753.jpg

20201008_171812.jpg

Would need to stiffen the whole length of that tube I would think to get the required strength. Would be easier to cut it out and put a new, thicker wall tube in its place.

I'm thinking I may just run some big gussets there to help with the horizontal load. With both sides braced, I'd think that would be pretty hard to rip apart.

I've seen several done that way with no issues, not saying there aren't any out there that failed, but likely wouldn't be catastrophic before you caught it (assuming you frequently check for damage). Are those 37 Krawlers, should be ok?

You are going to build a full ladder style wrap bar - right? The tube you have sitting there may be a bit of overkill for a wrap bar, but can't hurt...

I've seen several done that way with no issues, not saying there aren't any out there that failed, but likely wouldn't be catastrophic before you caught it (assuming you frequently check for damage). Are those 37 Krawlers, should be ok?

You are going to build a full ladder style wrap bar - right? The tube you have sitting there may be a bit of overkill for a wrap bar, but can't hurt...

They are krawlers. I am doing a full ladder style bar, and the tube came with the ruff stuff kit. It's the same DOM my links are made out of.

I wish I had taken photos of my first truss on the dirty bastard build. I can't remember where it came from (as in where I purchased it), but it was formed 3/8 plate and torque loads twisted it over 15*. The forces at the axle are incredible to say the least.

@DangerNoodle I went a little unconventional on mine a few years back and used an 80 series front control arm as my traction bar. It’s mounted to the middle crossmember and it’s held up well but it is a little more bulky than I would like.

I think it also really depends if the forces are pushing or pulling on it.

With a traction bar, it's up/down force. Lots of down force EDIT: Down in reverse, up in forward

Last edited:
I once ran an FJ 80 control arm as a rear wrap bar, but ended up bending the snot out of the shackle end. Stoked to see others did the same and in most cases would think should hold up fine.

Alright, so this is what I ended up with. I dont have a tube bender, so I used square tube for a new crossmember. It's 2×2 1/4 wall. I am slightly concered about stress fractures because of the square tube, but I'm hoping that my boxing and stiffening of the frame will help to limit that.

20201028_190627.jpg

Overall I got the traction bar 8" from center with the 80 axle, and although the upper bar is not parallel with the frame, I have 25% of the tire diameter of vertical separation.

20201030_133016.jpg

20201028_202604.jpg

Does this look like a good setup? I only tacked everything in case stuff needs to be moved.

Last edited:
Looks good, I would try to get it a bit more in the centre of the axle/crossmember. I see its an 80 series rear so the pumpkin is a bit more in the middle but I would still try to get it closer to centreline.

Looks good, I would try to get it a bit more in the centre of the axle/crossmember. I see its an 80 series rear so the pumpkin is a bit more in the middle but I would still try to get it closer to centreline.

It is the first flat spot on the axle, so unless I really fiddle with the bracket, it is not going to want to sit square. Do you still think I should try to move it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom