SOA done correctly. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought the Cruiser with a SOA already done. Was this done correctly? See any problems? Thanks.
SOA 1.jpg
SOA 2.jpg

Last edited:
i think that youll need highsteer. do you know if he cut and turned the front knuckles? do you have a better picture of that area?

Well the first thing you need is a crossover steering arm. That bent thing won't last long, trust me on this one. ;) And it's just dangerous cuz you don't know when it's going to go.

Is the pinion pointed directly at the tcase flange? Or does it appear to be pointed upwards any? If so then the cut and turn was likely done and that's the kicker when it comes to one being considered done "right or wrong". But that's just a personal preference as well.

not positive on this, but i think a shackle reversal is a common conversion when a soa is performed. i know mine has one and it handles well.

cruiserwanted said:
Bought the Cruiser with a SOA already done. Was this done correctly? See any problems? Thanks.

Drum brake front axle= small knuckle studs and pattern...not common for hysteer pieces...other than 4x4Labs...Install a disc conversion and get the
larger knuckle studs and bolt pattern...

Front axle was not cut and turned....you can see that in the pics.

Figure out what was causing the battery to spill acid all over the fender and frame....overcharge/bad voltage regulator? Other???

What is your intended use of this truck Kris?

Intented use now is to sell it as I will be moving May 1st to IA. :crybaby: My orginal intended use was to have it be my wheeling 40 but it has to go now. Did not want to mis-inform anyone. Want to be able to honestly inform potential buyers about it. It is going on e-bay tonight. :ban: as I just need it gone and do not know what to ask for it on here.

The steering needs either a double knuckle arm or a hysteer kit. A bent relay rod is just a failure waiting to happen as well as doing nothing to alleviate bumpsteer.

An SR is not needed on an SOA and in the opinion of many (myself included) is not particularly desirable.

Mark...

W at Over The Hill 4x4 will bend your stock arms to hi-steer. I am running them along with a number of Cascade Cruiser members with no failures or problems.

SOA was not done right. Need new relay rod and either a hysteer kit or aqualu arm. Cut and turn is not necessary but prefered. I drove mine for 5 months without C&T.

Other things:
right side frame looks bent. Was it hit?
Missing bumper which adds strength
Steering stabilizer looks shot Both of them
Knuckles are leaking.
It really looks like it had the crap wheeled out of it.

An SR is not needed on an SOA and in the opinion of many (myself included) is not particularly desirable.

can you explain why this is so. i'm about to move a soa setup to another rig and just assumed it also needed the sr. if not, that's just more $ and less work for me.

You don't need a SR on a SOA. SR gives you better approach angle in two ways. No shackle hanging down in front and it will move the tires forward. Some say it it makes the suspension work better on bumps because the axle is moving back during a bump and not forward. I haven't done one on mine because I don't want to lengthen my driveshaft buy new spring mounts move my shock mounts buy a new pitman arm and spend 10 hrs of my time doing something that is really for more aggressive rock climbers.

could no agree more with trollhole!
I run a SOA without a SR and it works fine.
Living in SWPA there are no rocks, therefore no need for the hassle.

just my 0.2

Not sure if it was hit or not. Bumper was welded on and pretty torn up so I would assume hit something like a big oak tree..... It was being used for a parts vehicle and the last tabs on the license plates are 91 so I am left to assume it sat for that long. I was going to bring it back to life put some parts into it and was slowly working but now with the move no longer have time. It turns over but no spark and that is what I was currently working on. Wanted to get the engine running beford going further. It is now on e-bay and hopefully the next owner will figure it out, move along faster than I was able to and get it on the street/trail. Thanks for all the help with this. Steering set up never looked right to me, that bent bar looks like big danger but wanted to also know if anything else is wrong. Thanks guys

Yes cut and turn was done by myself.
also I use the aqualu stearing arm.
and the only reason that I still do use that is when I DID ALL THIS NO ONE HAD A BETTER WAY.

I believe that Jim C has a piece in the technical section or maybe the FAQ that gives a pretty good explaination of the con's of the SR approach. I'm not feeling "wordy" enough right now to go into the whole thing. I'll just say that I've done at least two dozen SOAs and not a single SR on any of them. In fact I have returned two SR'd rigs to original configuration. I don't think that the downsides justify any possible/perceived advantages.

Mark...

I believe that Jim C has a piece in the technical section or maybe the FAQ that gives a pretty good explaination of the con's of the SR approach. I'm not feeling "wordy" enough right now to go into the whole thing. I'll just say that I've done at least two dozen SOAs and not a single SR on any of them. In fact I have returned two SR'd rigs to original configuration. I don't think that the downsides justify any possible/perceived advantages.

Mark...

Bravo!!!!!!!!
Way to much work for small benifit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom