So....what happened? Ignition issue... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just finished swapping transfer cases and was ready to fire up the truck and go for a test drive. The battery was dead so I brought out the spare and the jumper cables. I had a friend hook them up while I turned the key. I told him to disconnect the cables as soon as it started but I guess I didn't remind him that red goes on '+'.....:eek: So they were hooked up wrong!!

I turned the ignition and didn't see the clock light up as usual. I turned the key again and I smelled smoke....:crybaby:. Headlights work but no starter action. Seems like I might need a new ignition switch...according to the shop manual...

Is there any other option or possibilities?

Dave

Last edited:
Howdy! You may of toasted one or both batteries. Kinda doubt that you had any damage elsewhere. First, remove the battery from the rig. Then hook up a known good battery and see if that will start it up. Test for lights or something first if ya don't trust the rest of the system. Hooking up the battery backwards should not hurt any of the systems on the rig. Did it a couple of times on my 72 when I was in Wyoming. John

All the fuses are ok and the lights work fine, so I think the battery is good.

The strong smell of electronics smoking was coming from inside the cab.

Dave

Last edited:
from the battery to the fuse box is a white fusible link incased in a black heat shrink sleeve. this should be the first to pop.

if yer truck is like most on the road, some braniac snipped it off and replaced it with standard wire, or better yet speaker wire. :rolleyes:

if thats the case, something is burned up. if you have a spare ignition switch you can just unplug it form under the steering wheel and tset it out. otherwise you got some diag to do

Thanks, Wristy!

I took out my dvm and, of course, the battery was dead... On it tomorrow!

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom