1990 22re emissions parts, what are my options? -- issues with idle and the smells (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just a tiny background:

Been trying to do a kindness for someone giving me a decent price on rent. They have a nice little 1990 22re pickup that goes by the name of "little blue". Little blue has been sitting, not for long...but long enough. Just making an attempt to get little blue back to a reliable state.

List of events:

- registration is out, needs smog
- started and ran for a bit, it was a little rough, decided to do a full tune-up
- went to go drive --> new (to me) symptom, the idle was oscillating/surging --> attempted smog, wouldn't register on the system because of the surging idle.
- I hear the IAC gets gunked up on these, went ahead and pulled off the throttle body to do a thorough cleaning.
- in the process of all of this I noticed a vacuum line blocked off and another with the broken nipple off the VSV...bummer
- also looking through some of the vacuum lines, there seems to be some hob-gobble goin' on...I'll probably have to sort through and double check the routing.

Issue/question:

I can't seem to find a replacement for this part.
How can I source one of these specific VSV's? (part number 90910-12086) Is there a generic cross reference number I can use for this one and I'm just being a dummy?

vsv circled.PNG

PXL_20230708_031812015.jpg

PXL_20230708_031738566.jpg

Close but there seems to be 2 styles available from what I can tell. The electrical connections are just a tad different. Looks like the side opposite of the clip has the rib on the opposite side for the A/C one...not sure why it would be different....it switches vacuum...what more can there be.

However, I was just worried about that muffler/nozzle thing on the end of these style of VSV's. Not sure if they serve some kind of "atmosphere with resistance" function, but maybe just getting one of these ones and just capping that end off is the way to go....there's got to be a reason why they just stopped making the specific style of the 90910-12086...

Anyone know if there would be any issues with swapping to any of these modern part numbers? Only thing I can tell that's different is the mounting style, but functionally they should work the same, yeah?

PXL_20230708_191912264.jpg

Also, obligatory photo of little blue.
PXL_20230708_191108865.jpg

Last edited:
I typed that part number into a Toyota Parts Dealer website and it came up. Said California #3, which is different than mine. Was over $100 USD so pretty expensive. I did not go further to see if it was still available. If Denso made or makes it, try checking with Denso directly.

good point.

That lead me down a sick one. Hadn't seen "no. 1" and "no. 3" in descriptions before. I believe it's just an indicator for numbering the VSV's in the system from what I was seeing. The description in TPD does show california spec and no. 3, but I think those are separate comments about that specific vsv in the same line.

Some parts numbers, no. numbers, prices, and VSV function:
90910-12084 - no. 1 -- A/C -- $30 on 22re performance, discontinued on parts site
90910-12085 - no. 2 -- Gas F, pressure regulator & TB -- ~$112 on TPD
90910-12086
- no. 3 -- TB & EGR (broken, discontinued) -- ~$115 on TPD
184600-0510 - ? -- Gas F & AS valve -- not sure
25860-62010 - no. 1 -- literally looks pretty much the same as 90910-12084 aside from mounting style. listed as compatible with many Lexus and Toyota between the years of 1992 - 2008 -- $12 on lab work (garbage? maybe...) ~$115 on TPD

I guess I'm just curious if others have done this. What I also realize is that the 84 and the 86 are pretty similar. I will just blocking off the A/C lines and capping the extra funny hat atmosphere port and use it for the 86 position.

Maybe a double check would be to hook up 12v to these things and see if they would actually function similar if I block off that extra port....

Oh wait! maybe I had them confused in my original response Beams...Seems like that should work....woo!

edit: seeing the connector again...still the grey one with the different connector. Now I'm a little confused considering how I thought the one on mine is the AC one that I can swap....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom