So I think the Michelin Defender is the perfect all-terrain tire... (For most of us) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are Defenders considered an A/T tire?
Years ago, I got this Costco version XLT AS or something which I thought was another name for the tire discussed in this topic, but believe it was a highway tire.

Are Defenders considered an A/T tire?
Years ago, I got this Costco version XLT AS or something which I thought was another name for the tire discussed in this topic, but believe it was a highway tire.
They are not an A/T tire, but some would argue they are very close. They are a highway tire with an off-road bias.

I didn’t end up pulling trigger yet. Was going to wait until the the next sale/promo period.
By then, there should be more feedback of users with this new version to provide feedback.
That’s what I’m heading too as well. I just wanna see how my stock Yokohama tires are going To be this winter.

@gaijin once again bud (swapped Nitto for these) - 2013 LC on LT285/70/17 E Defender LTX M/S2.

@gaijin once again bud (swapped Nitto for these) - 2013 LC on LT285/70/17 E Defender LTX M/S2.

The RCTIP for those LT285/70R17E 126S tires on your LC200 is 40psi F/R.

HTH

I like these tires. They last really long although I don’t drive enough so after 5 years can see a bit of dry rot.

The durability of the shoulder treads is much better than for example dueler and OEM tires. Has anyone notice this ?

I like these tires. They last really long although I don’t drive enough so after 5 years can see a bit of dry rot.

The durability of the shoulder treads is much better than for example dueler and OEM tires. Has anyone notice this ?
The shoulder treads are better than my General Grabber ATXs. I had no issues with chunking on the shoulders with my Defenders

The shoulder treads are better than my General Grabber ATXs. I had no issues with chunking on the shoulders with my Defenders
Ok, so it was not just my observation then. I do not drive the cars hard, most OEM tires models have softer rubber that can't seem to handle the load on outside of tires, and all the weight.

Last edited:
Vredestein Pinza AT

Had these about a week now.....No complaints. Big ride improvement over OEM Bridgestone Dueler.

P1040354.jpeg

Here's some technical detail w/Tire Rack and Vredestein rep:

Is Michelin going to have more sizes in the MS2?

View attachment 3470632
I don’t know the answer, but having just bought some of these what I learned was that an XL Defender in stock 285/60/18 can only be found in the older M/S version.

There’s an M/S2 XL in 275/65/18 but its 7.6” tread width might look too narrow for some people’s tastes? There’s an M/S2 LT in that size that’s 8.8” tw but it comes with (subjective) downsides of an E tire.

Hope that info helps someone out there. I ended up with the older M/S as it fit my needs better and I’d imagine the M/S2 isn’t all that much different.

Last edited:
I am looking at the
There’s an M/S2 XL in 275/65/18 but its 7.6” tread width might look too narrow for some people’s tastes? There’s an M/S2 LT in that size that’s 8.8” tw but it comes with (subjective) downsides of an E tire.

MICHELIN® DEFENDER® LTX® M/S 2 275/65R18 116T XL BSW​

Can LT and XL tread width be 1.2" different? That seems like alot.

My reading of this thread, XL is the one to get over LT to run the lower pressure.

Tread width aside, my stock tire 275/50R21 and 285/60R18 is smaller (don't want to go smaller) and 275/65R18 is just slightly bigger.

Agreed, it seems like a big difference in tw. Those numbers are from Tire Rack so I figured they’re accurate

Those look great! 17’s really do look much better than 18’s on these trucks.
I really like the improved stance in person. The offset is money. Looks better from all angles. These tires are really smooth - Have no hesitation on these for those worried about a rougher E ride like I was. Much improved cornering balance too aka no dip/roll on a turn.

Are they able to tow? My LC200 that will eventually have a winch and hybrid bumper and sliders. I tow a hybrid camper with dry weight of about 3500 pounds and 400 pound tongue weight.
They tow without any adverse effects and maintain their quiet comfortable ride. I tow a Lance 1685 GVWR 6500# the LC200 handles it without difficulty using a Fastway E2 Weight Distribution hitch.

I am looking at the

MICHELIN® DEFENDER® LTX® M/S 2 275/65R18 116T XL BSW​

Can LT and XL tread width be 1.2" different? That seems like alot.

My reading of this thread, XL is the one to get over LT to run the lower pressure.

Tread width aside, my stock tire 275/50R21 and 285/60R18 is smaller (don't want to go smaller) and 275/65R18 is just slightly bigger.

This is what I am exchanging my M/S for under the 30 day satisfaction guarantee. They have been on order for a couple of weeks and no update on arrival date but I can measure this if they ever arrive. The only reason I am exchanging them is I don't know how long the M/S will be in production and don't want to have an outdated tire in a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom