So I bought another Rig... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Having been corrupted by Roger and Rob with the allure of the GM 6.2 Diesel, I have been pondering an expedition type build using a 80 as the base vehicle. Rob had most of this planned out in his head so with that in mind, I started a few weeks ago looking for an 80 with a blown motor and lockers. Unfortunately, I wasn't too successful finding a suitable 80, but I found this posted here a couple days after I started looking.

1994 FZJ80 Landcruiser
Color: Dark Green
Engine: GM/Chevy 6.5 TD (Turbo Diesel) (recently remanufactured less than 100 miles)
Mark's 4X4 Adaptor to stock automatic transmission
Factory lockers
Slee Offroad 6" Lift installed
Kaymar Rear Bumper with swing-out tire carrier
Custom exhaust
Mean Green Alternator and Starter
Upgraded cooling package for engine
Still have original 1FZFE 4.5 engine with 204,000 miles at the mechanic's shop (Landcruiser Northwest in Portland, OR)

The 6.5 TD Engine cost me $7,250 newly remanufactured from SS Diesel Supply. The conversion through Landcruiser NW cost over $20,000. The Slee lift was $3,120 and the Kaymar rear bumper was $1,400. Total investment has been nearly $40,000

So, I contacted the seller and began discussions on the vehicle. After a litany of emails and discussions with LCNW, Roger and Rob...and convincing my brother Andy to go in with me, I made an offer and it was accepted...and no, it was nowhere near the above total. :grinpimp:

I called my buddy Mark over at Metaltech in Portland, and he graciously agreed to store the truck (while he puts a set of sliders on it:bounce:) and source me some go kart type tires for shipping. The truck has to be under 78" or it'll be 2x the cost to ship. Currently its sitting at 81" with the factory roof rack and 265s. Should be easy to drop it with some low profile takeoffs from a tire shop.

Once it gets here its gonna need a little massaging to work right. The stock a442F auto needs to be wired in. I picked up the FSM and downloaded the EWDs and A442 manual from mr Toyota. Doesn't look to be too difficult, just meticulus and time consuming :doh: Other than that, it should be fairly complete and all I need to source immediatly is a set of 315s or 35s..

Also, if ya need anything from Metaltech, Mark's agreed to stuff it in the back of the 80 for the ride to tennessee...I ask only for some $$ to help offset the shipping cost (1/3 the cost of whatever it'd cost you to ship it)
Of course, its got to fit in the rig...so no built 40 cages :bang: I run his noseguard, sliders, and full cage in my 40.

Pics right here <----that's a link!

Can you just air down the tires to get 3" lower?

probably could, but I'd hate to get the semi to Mark's and then have the driver give him any s*** for half flat tires...

Since Mark's staring at the truck and I'm here, I'm letting him deal with it...

That is awesome news Todd!!! Congrats on the new edition!!!

nice
no more ,O it's only sheetmetal

Last edited:
I would like a nose guard from them MT boys. I'll work it out and get it added to the cargo compartment. I'll hook you up in TX with the money for shipping.

Later,

:bounce:Pimptastic:bounce2:

Now you can be a "wagon wheeler":flipoff2:

Todd,
Congratulations. The truck looks like it is great shape and the diesel swap should be a nice addition.

You mentioned the original engine as if it is still available. Are you trying to sell it? There was a guy here in the Atlanta metro area with a cracked block that was looking around for a replacement. So if you are selling, I would direct him your way.

I would like a nose guard from them MT boys. I'll work it out and get it added to the cargo compartment. I'll hook you up in TX with the money for shipping.

Later,

Jeff,

cool...but I hope its here by the Roundup...I'm sure you know how those shipping brokers can be!

You mentioned the original engine as if it is still available. Are you trying to sell it? There was a guy here in the Atlanta metro area with a cracked block that was looking around for a replacement. So if you are selling, I would direct him your way.

Larry, the PO still owns the motor, its got 204K on it but is in good shape from what I hear...there's a post on mud in the classifieds as he was trying to sell it separately...

Nice purchase Todd.

I especially like the flat panels on the back of the front seats. :popcorn:

^^^^gotta have a little bling :grinpimp::grinpimp:

So since the truck is spending the next few weeks at Metaltech waiting on the sliders, I decided to take advantage of the little known fact that Oregon has no sales tax :idea:

So I called Mark and worked out the details.

Decided to add one of these:

attachment.php

Metaltech's new Tube Bumper, with one of these:

9.5xp_winch.gif

and 100 feet of this:

wl-wst_sh-500.jpg

And, of course one of these super bling fair leads from Cruzilla

attachment.php

So that takes care of the front end...Now to take care of the tires...Mark has a wholesale account with 4WheelParts and they have the best price on these:

ssw-rxm_w.jpg

35x12.50R16 Interco TRXUS MTs. Best part is because Mark's a wholesaler, the truck will drop them at the shop, no shipping, no tax = :bounce::clap::clap::bounce2:
Mark's gonna stuff them in the back for the ride and I'll mount em up when the truck arrives.

Wasn't really looking to add that much right up front, but hard to pass up the no sales tax...

WOW! Cool truck and it's even cooler to hear how you arranged the add-ons before you even see it in person. Smart shopping!

Nice find

got your email about the rear bumper will be looking for it

cam

Nice...very nice...only 100' of line though? :rolleyes:

Has it shipped yet? I guess I need to call Mark if I want to get the nose guard in the truck!

Later,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom