So I bought another Rig... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, got the 37's mounted up before the rain came...:bounce::bounce2:
Is it just me or do the 37's look damn near stock with a six inch lift? :clap:
had to remove the rear mud flaps, but looks like I can keep the fenders...at least for a while...

Probably gonna put on some 1.25" wheel spacers at some point, but they don't rub on the street, but looks like they will on the trail. Also, probably gonna have to modify the Turbo downpipe to move it a little more up and inboard to keep the pass front tire off it on heavy compression...but really need to get it on the forklift to see.
37's mounted.jpg
37's mounted 4.jpg
37's mounted 3.jpg

Man that thing looks sahweeeetttt!!!

Dream rig youve got there, nice work :clap:

I want one :D

Todd,
Great progress and I agree that the truck looks natural on the new tires.

--Added a set of Warn hubs and converted the x-fer case to part time. ...

Are the Warn hubs temporary or permenant? My thought is the strength & durability of the Al housings with the Warn hubs. Will the stand up to the trek for the weight/power of your truck?

Congratulations on your pregress and preparation for the trek.

Well, there permanent until I break them! :D I've got the drive flanges/cone washers I can bolt on if a break a hub.

The issue is that the Warn hubs are long enough to fit the longer late model 80 Birf/Longfield. The early models came with a shorter birf, which will work on std Aisin hubs...but Longfield doesn't sell a short version. There are some threads in the 80 section on cutting them down and machining a new snap ring groove...but that's seems like more work than its worth to me...\

Only time will tell!

Well, there permanent until I break them! :D I've got the drive flanges/cone washers I can bolt on if a break a hub.

The issue is that the Warn hubs are long enough to fit the longer late model 80 Birf/Longfield. The early models came with a shorter birf, which will work on std Aisin hubs...but Longfield doesn't sell a short version. There are some threads in the 80 section on cutting them down and machining a new snap ring groove...but that's seems like more work than its worth to me...\

Only time will tell!

Thanks ... learn something new here and an opportunity to display my ignorance again...

If the Longfields are too long for Aisin hubs, won't they be too long for the drive flanges? The Aisins and the drive flanges are factory products so I am expecting that they both would have been designed to the same length of birfield protruding from the hub. i.e., If the Aisins don't work because they are too short, you would be very unhappy after blowing a hub to learn that you can not install the drive flange because it is too short.

Now I have said, so pass the dunce cap my way.

The longs are just made to the later standard...they are the same as the birfs that are in my 94, which had drive flanges until the hubs went on.

So they will work for for the Longs or the later model birf. I have no idea why Toyota changed it...but it happened sometime in the 94 model year...

The longs are just made to the later standard...they are the same as the birfs that are in my 94, which had drive flanges until the hubs went on.

So they will work for for the Longs or the later model birf. I have no idea why Toyota changed it...but it happened sometime in the 94 model year...

ABS?
Didn't ABS start coming standard in '95s, so that related? I have only been into the axles of Carolyn's '95 so I have never been hands-on close to a '94 or earlier. Looks like I need to read more.
Thanks

Mine's a 12/94 (registered as a 94) and has ABS. I'm guessing the added length is probably due to the ABS ring on the Birf. My ABS fuse is removed and thus I won't be pressing off the rings and moving them to the longfield's. I'm contemplating removing the ABS system in its entirety to free up some much needed engine space. That and moving the fuse panel will allow me to mount two batteries side by side and get the current second battery away from the turbo, or place the 3rd battery there for the accessories...right now its going on the slider or inside the truck (Sealed AGM) Depends if I have room behind the fridge for a battery...

There are long and short 80 series drive flanges. The change was made in mid 94 and I have no idea why. The ABS ring in on the shoulder of the bell and has nothing to do with its length. Honestly the only difference that i can tell is that the post mid 94 trucks have longer stub shafts and thicker drive flanges. Presumably to have more spline engagement at the flange. I have seen 80s strip the splines on the drive flanges and stub shafts from wear alone. (200,000+ miles)

Someone should call bobby and have him start making the 80 series shafts shorter so that you could run aisins w/ chromo hub gears.

I will sell you some cheap spacers if you send me a center cap.......

Can't wait to see it in person!:clap:

It turned out really nicely and drives like it should now that we put the A440 in it. WAY nicer than it was before we got a hold of it and 2wd to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom