So how annoying is the blind spot? Can you get used to it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
LAst night at the NYC auto show I had the chance to sit in the FJ for the first time. YES the blind spot is annoying. I told the Toyota Rep that and she claimed that Toyota is working on it. But for those that own it already how bad is it to drive? Can it be overcome? Any ideas? Alos what is it like living with the FJ on a daily basis? Is it a good daily driver?

Thanks,
Zack

I have had my FJ for about 2 weeks now. There is a blind spot, but it's not that bad. All you have to do is pay attention a little more when making turns or merging. The side mirrors are very large and let me see everything, so it doesn't really bother me. I was concerned at first, but it is a non-issue for me. As for the FJ being a daily driver, I love it. The FJ is very comfortable, has a nice ride, handles very well, plus has plenty of power and just down right fun to drive. I am very please with my FJ.

Zack1978 said:
YES the blind spot is annoying. I told the Toyota Rep that and she claimed that Toyota is working on it

Thanks,
Zack

They told me the same thing a few years ago when it was unveiled at the Chicago auto show - They actually brought up the subject and said it had been identified as a concern and that the wide pillar would not be making it to production. IMOP some of the photochops with glass there instead make it look better. I was a little disappointed when they released it and it was still there.

Blind spot? What blind spot?

You mean the c-pillar that's located in about the same spot on every passenger car or SUV on the road?

There's no blind spot. It's a non-issue to everyone who owns one, and a rallying point for everyone who wouldn't buy one in the first place.

While looking at my sister's FJC I have to say that I would rather see a half door or full door over the rear wheel well with a pillar between front and back seats.

The alternative would be the glass extension. I simply like the more glass approach.

It's a GREAT DD, I love it. Good power, comfortable...but boy howdy there is a blind spot. It's take about 3 days to get used to it. So not a big deal. Just makes you pay attention to who's around you all the time, and that's not a bad thing anyway!

The blind spot is why the FJ's come with the big honkin side mirrors.

Blind spot? What blind spot?

You mean the c-pillar that's located in about the same spot on every passenger car or SUV on the road?

Unless you're driving a panel van or something similar, you're not going to have a C-Pillar that's that big.

There's no blind spot. It's a non-issue to everyone who owns one, and a rallying point for everyone who wouldn't buy one in the first place

So, you're saying that not liking the way a vehicle looks isn't a good reason to not like the vehicle?

Boy, I bet the GM passenger cars division wishes that was right.

For me, it's the one area on the FJ that would have been very easy to improve, but wasn't for whatever reason. If glass was there instead, you'd of had a LOT more people who would like it.

I like it now, but would like it considerably more had they executed the aesthetics just a little better.

shocker said:
Unless you're driving a panel van or something similar, you're not going to have a C-Pillar that's that big.
Interesting. I'm sure that Honda S2000 drivers, Miata drivers, Mustang drivers, Sequoia drivers, G35 Drivers, LR3 drivers, Avalanche drivers, most every Lotus, Ferrari or Lamborghini or Corvette driver, and just about any Camaro or Firebird driver would tend to disagree with that. And those are vehicles that you normally see on the streets, driving in traffic, and having to be aware of where vehicles are around them - including off the left and right flanks of the vehicle.

shocker said:
So, you're saying that not liking the way a vehicle looks isn't a good reason to not like the vehicle?
Nope. I'm saying the blind spot isn't an issue. And I'm saying that the only people who seem to not be able to see the forest for the trees - or the traffic for the c-pillar - seem to be the ones who aren't interested in buying the rig in the first place.

As with any new vehicle, the owner has to adjust to how it is, and make it work for them. I spent more time adjusting to the radio than I did having to figure out how to see everything outside the truck from the drivers seat.

I used to own a Prius that was nothing but windows and pillars and it had way more blind spots than the FJ. Then again, I always pay attention to whats going on around me...the cars I pass, the cars that exit/enter the freeway, who changed lanes, who's going to be in my way a half mile from now, and where are the cops hiding :p

Plus, I like the how the FJ looks and don't think I'd like extra/longer windows. :D I'd choose smart driving and privacy over lots of windows and zoned-out driving.

I have round blind-spot dots on my outside mirrors on my 80-series and NEVER use the center mirror...once you know your mirror view, there is zero reason to even glance over your shoulder...

I am surprised the bottom wedge of the stock FJ mirrors isn't some convex, but I'll wager that appears aftermarket pretty quick....

You guys are mentioning that the larger side mirros help compensate for the c-pillar blind spot.

I was wondering if those huge brake lights that stick out on the side case a blind spot??

I actually didn't think the c-pillar was too bad, but something needs to be done with those brake lights.

I driven a truck with a topper and can say that the FJ is a easier drive. I find it to be a bigger issue on the driver side but if you use your mirrors correctly it is not a problem.

Last edited:
MissFJ said:
Plus, I like the how the FJ looks and don't think I'd like extra/longer windows. :D I'd choose smart driving and privacy over lots of windows and zoned-out driving.
I agree. I currently drive a Land Rover Discovery (until tomorrow:grinpimp:) that has sooo much glass that I need gills but it doesn't seem to improve my traffic driving one bit. In fact it probably makes me lazy.

Just my 2 cents.

Its not that bad. I got used to it pretty quick. The other thing that takes getting used to is the high rear end. If someone tailgates really close its difficult to see. Backing into a parking spot is actually WAY easy but only because of the back up sonar.

Anymore feedback on it being a daily driver? So the the DD feedback has been only positive! Also what about the towing limits of the FJ? How well will it pull a trailer?

Zack

The C pillar blind spot is fxxxing HUGE, but the mirrors are basically perfect and you'll get used to using them very quickly.

The rest of the visibility issues are still there, though. The hood is too high. The windshield is too small. The rear window is too small. Visibility SUCKS. this isn't my "rallying point" for not buying one, either. Visibility sucks in WAY too many modern vehicles, including the new Tundra. It's stupid engineering...

for me it's not really an issue, because no one can pass my FJ :)

backing up, I just call down to sonar for a bearing to target ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom