So, best brand of cordless power tools to get (re)started with today? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm still torn. I have some really great new Milwaukee tools that will be the foundation of my new kit but there are still some Dewalt tools in my cabinets that are very functional but not used often enough to warrant replacing with Milwaukee. There's a drywall router, a jigsaw and two reciprocating saws that I'll be keeping but of 8 or so batteries, none of them hold a charge well and I'll have to replace them. I'm not interested in spending a bunch to get that clumsy adapter and new Dewalt 20V li-ion batteries. I'm thinking of trying these aftermarket Lithium-Ion replacements.

Amazon product ASIN B07D9HD8F8

I have an addition; we have one of the first generation of these Milwaukee cordless hole-hawgs.
MILWAUKEE-2807-20 | Acme Tools

It quit working. We brought it to a standard tool sales/repair place (where you would bring a nail gun), and they said they could do nothing. I then brought it to a Milwaukee service center (5 miles from my house, one advantage to living in expensive housing land). Since the tool was a "refurb," the warranty gets kicked down to 1 year. Milwaukee has an odd maximum repair cost scale for tools. This particular model capped at $175 for repair. I think refurb price for drill was $225. I did some research at home, and the trigger is part of a larger "electronic assembly," and costs $125 alone. The trigger is wired to another little circuit board, and I think a fan for cooling, and all gets replaced as a unit.
What am I getting at you ask?
As this stuff gets fancier (cordless, brushless, in-tool tracking, etc), repairs get a little dicey. So far, this is our company's biggest Milwaukee tool fail. I may still order the part and give the repair a go though.

Well, as for me, after reading all this and more, I am torn as well. One thing I mostly decided is that I don't think I would get Dewalts. Sorry. I just don't get good vibes with them. I originally did not think much about Milwaukee but have been swayed by comments here. I am a bit taken aback by some of the prices Milwaukee is asking for their better tools, though. I think they may be overpricing because of their current reputation. But, anyway, I'd go either Milwaukee or Makita with a slight preference to the latter, but admittedly there is a bit of less than fully rational history to that preference. I do actually like my Ridgids still a lot and see no reason to get rid of them but should I buy something new it would likely be one of the other 2 as I think they are a bit better tools (although not so much that I would tell people not to buy Ridgid, especially with that LSA which is a deal-clincher for me). Keep in mind, though, I am not using my tools for a living.
But TBH, if the problem is that we have too many good choices, well I can live with that...

I have not had good luck with Dewalt. I cannot get any of my lipos from them to charge, but their nycads did ok. I'm Milwaukee all the way now.

There are some good combo kit deals floating around for any of you still on the fence. The Milwaukee "6-pack" battery chargers are quite an asset. I'm not sure if Makita or Rigid offer a multi pack charger yet. Dewalt does, but they went with a straight line format, so the charger takes up 2 square feet.

Good thread, always considered the big box store items to be “lesser”...just a hunch and hand feel thing with no research done. When buying yard type power tools (Echo, Stihl) I always go where the big yard crews get their stuff, where you smell the fertilizer out on the floor and gasoline from the repair shop in the back.

So where do you recommend buying quality Milwaukee’s, etc??

Good thread, always considered the big box store items to be “lesser”...just a hunch and hand feel thing with no research done. When buying yard type power tools (Echo, Stihl) I always go where the big yard crews get their stuff, where you smell the fertilizer out on the floor and gasoline from the repair shop in the back.

So where do you recommend buying quality Milwaukee’s, etc??

Milwaukee Tools - M18 tools, M12 tools, PACKOUT | CPO Milwaukee or find an independent dealer. If you're on facebook there are several Milwaukee groups with independent dealers selling new tools at really good prices. I've gotten a lot of tools like this

As a carpenter I went from Makita to Panasonic 15 years ago.
Panasonic were leaps and bounds ahead at the time, but limited range.
I lost all my panasonic tools in a fire, except a ¼" impact driver and 1 battery and charger.

I purchased Milwaukee to replace my Panasonic gear for a few reasons.
1- price. (Not the cheapest)
I was able to package Milwaukee in a kit and got better value for money than any other serious competitor. Buying from a big seller, I was able to swap and change items out of a pre-packaged kit.
2- product range.
Milwaukee has a huge range of gear suited to a whole load of trades
3- batteries
I like the range of batteries. I have mostly 5aHr batteries, but have 9aHr battery that I prefer to use for circular saw, and reciprocating saw, and rotary hammer drill. All items that draw a bigger load, and are used in longer bursts, not just a coupe of seconds at a time.
4- reputation
I manage construction sites, so have opportunity to chat to tradies, and play with their toys. Milwaukee get the best props amongst guys on site
5- build quality
They are built tough and solid. They are generally heavier in the hand than other stuff

I don't really rate Makita.

I had a new Makita lxt 18 volt kit purchased as part of site kit for my site crew for a 14month project.
Some of the Makita stuff didn't last 6 months. Of 4 batteries, 2 failed. Heavy duty rotary hammer drill needed to be repaired, but repair cost made it not worth repairing. 5" grinder trigger/switch control failed, not worth repairing. Drill / driver sounded like it was full of gravel after 3 or 4 months of use, not worth repairing.

In the above scenario in the future, I'd be looking at Milwaukee or Hilti tools.
Hilti seem to be high quality, but pricey unless your buying a lot of product.

I’ll just add that there is no way the Makita drills (hammer/impacts) I have on my work truck could be used and abused any harder than they are and they KEEP ON GOING. I have no use for any other cordless tool at work or at home.

The work they do aside, 200k+ miles of riding in the side bin of a bucket rain or shine is not a easy life. Completely submerged several times. And the roads up in Alabama are bad enough that the impact driver has been tossed out and onto the road several times (8ft drop at speed)

The corded drills on my truck are Milwaukee. I like how their power cords are removable.

The main squeezes:

E56D4E36-A00E-4153-81CC-B7264E266F5B.jpeg

I’ll just add that there is no way the Makita drills (hammer/impacts) I have on my work truck could be used and abused any harder than they are and they KEEP ON GOING. I have no use for any other cordless tool at work or at home.

The work they do aside, 200k+ miles of riding in the side bin of a bucket rain or shine is not a easy life. Completely submerged several times. And the roads up in Alabama are bad enough that the impact driver has been tossed out and onto the road several times (8ft drop at speed)

The corded drills on my truck are Milwaukee. I like how their power cords are removable.

The main squeezes:

View attachment 2539490

I have that same exact impact driver, bought it in 2006, and at this point I'm kinda wishing it would die, but it won't. It's been beat hard and dropped many times. I've had to glue the glow-in-the-dark ring and that silver collar part back on more than once. My handle is actually busted under the rubber grip just above the battery, probably from one of the many trips off the ladder. It just keeps on going, I used it a bunch today.

One lesson I learned: don't buy anything but Makita OEM batteries.

These guys use only Makita for their cordless tools, and they use them hard: Sampson Boat Co. - https://sampsonboat.co.uk/ Amazing YouTube videos, if you are interested in how to wooden boats are built.

I have that same exact impact driver, bought it in 2006, and at this point I'm kinda wishing it would die, but it won't. It's been beat hard and dropped many times. I've had to glue the glow-in-the-dark ring and that silver collar part back on more than once. My handle is actually busted under the rubber grip just above the battery, probably from one of the many trips off the ladder. It just keeps on going, I used it a bunch today.

One lesson I learned: don't buy anything but Makita OEM batteries.

These guys use only Makita for their cordless tools, and they use them hard: Sampson Boat Co. - https://sampsonboat.co.uk/ Amazing YouTube videos, if you are interested in how to wooden boats are built.
That’s funny- The one I have pictured was bought late ‘06 or early ‘07. At one point it was briefly replaced with one of those white Makitas. It hopped out of the back of the truck in Samson, AL and never seen again. This one has been getting used ever since.

I've been watching Leo's Utoob channel for about 4 months after being turned onto it in a 538 page boat thread on ADV. The scale of such a project is immense! So, I'm sure, is the cost even without an employee.

Huge respect for that guy. I really wish I had the ability to drop out and go join the team for a month. I love how he explains everything they are doing, and why. Casting all that bronze was amazing.

Although it's kinda funny that there's like... almost nothing left from the original Tally Ho going into that boat. A few pieces from the transom and I think one of the hatch covers. So, how is that the same boat again? (yes, I watched his episode where he explains it, but stilll.... :hmm:)

My college has one of the few casting foundries west of the Mississippi River. The Industrial Tech program that runs parallel to the Mechanical Engineering program spent a fair amount of time on foundry work and I got to see it often. Between that and picking up wilwood castings from local foundries when I worked for them before going back to college I got a decent education in the process. Enough to know that it is dirty, filthy, hot, hard work that I wanted nothing to do with. :)

I've run into the same thing in Vintage racing cars. Worked on an Elva Mk VIIs that the only parts that were original was the chassis plate and the wheels. Molds had been pulled from the repaired composite body pieces and new body parts were laid up. Even the cast magnesium suspension uprights had been (rightfully) replaced with aluminum castings. My boss was fond of saying that they "jacked up the Chassis Plate and slid a new car under it."

Had Milwaukee for about 15 years. Replaced Batteries twice. After they died again recently, I decided to get a new set. Was really tough to not get the new Fuel line of cordless Milwaukee having used the brand for so many years, but after a couple weeks of checking out and handling the different brands I went with the Makita subcompact. They feel great...well balanced in the hands. Love em! $200 well worth it.
20210320_101437.jpg

Makita has a whole different line for the Japan domestic market. Different colors, some different spec. There are a few sellers on ebay. The cordless brushless impact in japan spec is $225 by itself.

I also went with Makita and have their little chain saw the 06 model, saw-all. I found mail order with acmetools.com had good prices. They were also easy to deal with when I had a problem with tool I received from them and they swapped out out right away.

can you guys puleeze stop talking about that nice lil' Makita saw? I already have too many chainsaws as it is..... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom