Snorkel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phipsi.net
A little nervous about cutting a hole in my rig. Anyone in the LA area care to provide moral support w/ your experience having put one on, tomorrow (friday), Saturday, or maybe Sunday? If you have the right drill bits that would be cool too so I don' t have to buy them for one time use. Let me know...if not I'll bite the bullet, measure a ton of times and drill the hole/s myself.

-Sam-

With the pattern on...it's real easy. Never heard of anyone fail.

The installation is quite easy, even for rookies like us; however, do take your time with alignment of the template. ;)

Once installed, prepare yourself and go for a spin. Smile (not giggling) at those glaring eyes from other passing motorists. Or you can always salute them with :flipoff2: ...just kidding.

Have fun this weekend installing it. :cheers:

Sam,

It's pretty easy. The key part is to align the template. Mark the holes with a felt tip pen and start drilling.
You may want to make the first round of holes with a small bit and work your way up. That way it's easier.
Did I mention that the key part is aligning the paper template?

Here are some pics of when we did it on La Cabra:

http://homepage.mac.com/alvarorb/PhotoAlbum83.html

Regards

Alvaro

alvarorb said:
Sam,

It's pretty easy. The key part is to align the template. Mark the holes with a felt tip pen and start drilling.
You may want to make the first round of holes with a small bit and work your way up. That way it's easier.
Did I mention that the key part is aligning the paper template?

Here are some pics of when we did it on La Cabra:

http://homepage.mac.com/alvarorb/PhotoAlbum83.html

Regards

Alvaro

One Word: Step Drill Bit.

-Matt

Oh ya and a Really Big F'n Hole saw... that's the fun one!

Had to get started with the install

Tried to tell myself to wait until tomorrow, but couldn't do it. So I remove the intake box and other OEM parts that need to come out. Next I gave the fender a wash and wax (real quick). Then lined up the template VERY CAREFULLY making sure the top edge was totally inline with the hood line and the bad side matched up with the fender line edge by the door jam. Used the 3M blue tape to hold it in place. will use a thicker masking tape when drilling.

All I can do till I get the drill bits tomorrow.

Question: STep drill bit? step drill? Meaning to start with a smaller bit and gradually increase right (just making sure)?

-Sam-

When you get it on, watch out for low branches in your neighborhood.

Kalawang

My antenna sits above and infront of it so it gauges if it will hit or not, but thanks for the heads up.

I had thought about a snorkel, briefly. Down here in southern AZ we are lucky to even see water, let alone water deep enough to justify a snorkel. I may add one some day but its real low on the priority list. :cheers:

I remember one thing installing mine, the shape of the fender means that the edges rather than the center of the hole saw contact first. So, I had to get the hole saw spinning pretty good and then touch it to the fender.

A step drill is an actual "Bit" that you can buy at the store. It kinda looks like a counter sink, but with steps, so each step is a bigger DIA. Cuts real smooth, and clean, much better to use then a twist bit. Also don't forget to center punch before you start, don't want the bit walking across your fender... As stated above the BIG hole is the fun one, the hole saw will make contact in two spots at first, since the center of the hole is not on a flat. This is where she can grab and twist you arm off, so a good drill with a roit grip works best.

-Matt

Step drill bit kinda looks like a pyramid. Each level will drill out a larger hole. Go ask an 'informed' associate at your local Home Despot or hardware store. They 'should' be able to direct you to the correct bit.

I'll be real curious how it goes for you. Your fears are about the same thing that's stopped me. hehehe

Damn Ammo - you're quicker on the keyboard than I am this morning!

MaddBaggins said:
I had thought about a snorkel, briefly. Down here in southern AZ we are lucky to even see water, let alone water deep enough to justify a snorkel. I may add one some day but its real low on the priority list. :cheers:

Data Point: Snorkels can also help your engine get cleaner air on those dusty desert roads when you follow someone. Much cleaner air at 6+ feet as opposed to 3. Just something to justify you too getting an attention getter on your beast.

PKP80 said:
LA area care to provide moral support w/ your experience

Also be sure and have some touch-up paint on hand to seal off the bare metal edge after you drill that hole. Nothing like rust streaks running down the side of your truck 24 months later.

C'mon, now...do snorkels really get that much attention?

Oh, and we live in Southern California. We do not have branches, water, or rust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom