Snorkel for deep water, but what else? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

offroadkid

GOLD Star
Threads
Okay, so the sorkel allows air to the engine when submerged, but what about everything else? What about the computers in my kick panels, and are my door seals going to keep the water out? Is there a fix to try and keep everything dry as possible? Or do you just open the doors when you get to the other side, let the water out and hope there;s no damege? ???

Deep water is big, big trouble for your 80. Ask Todd (Gumby), Junk, and Drexx. I think they'll tell you that retreat is a better alternative than opening the doors and draining out the water. The snorkle serves another purpose; allowing cold, clean(er) air into the intake.

That being said, if you're planning for routine water crossings then do a search using the keyword "Pieter" I believe you'll find a thread (here or in the SOR archives) where we discussed at length the things you'll need to do in preparation for a deep water crossing.

There was another thread where a member had some property located in an area where he routinely had to cross a wide, fairly shallow river. Search for "river" and see what you come up with.

These suggestions are not meant to stiffle discussion in this thread, but instead, to give you the opportunity to search and gain the benefit of prior discussions from people that are no longer active on this list. Guys like Photoman made some interesting suggestions as I recall.

-B-

Besides water crossings, and cool clean air going through the intake, you get the added benefit of explaining to 100 people/day what that "thing" is on your truck. Even when you child is asleep in the back, someone will pull up in a semi and beep thier horn so they can ask you. Tell people it's a gun, a speaker, an insect repellant, a spy scope, smoke stack for your intruck bbq - anything but snorkel. After all, it says snorkel right on it.

Do yourself a favor, unless you need it, skip it. Nothing on my truck is a bigger pain in the keester.

The Optional Snorkel on the 78/79 Series from Toyota is only for Dust and it say's this in it's litriture. - Toyota won't guarantee it's use in a Water crossing.

I have snorkle on my previous truck and I hate it. Just like Junk said there would be 100s of people literally asking you what it that thing on your truck. I would never put another snorkel on my truck. For water splash protection I would just route it closer to the firewall and be done with it.

It work great for dust and splash protection and made from very tough material for what it does.

Junk, even more of a pain than the ARB air lockers? :eek:

I have been thinking about getting one but decided it was more show than go. There is too much other stuff that has to be addressed and sealed before the snorkle becomes useful. I see that it does route clean/cold air and probably more of it, but i bet it's loud on the highway (add that to the loud ARB roof rack and i'de have to get a more powerful stereo), you have to cut a hole in your fender (so if you decide to sell her, she has to go with the snorkle), and i'de rather buy other goodies instead.

Just my 2cent. :cheers:

[quote author=concretejungle link=board=2;threadid=11398;start=msg103753#msg103753 date=1076593322]
Junk, even more of a pain than the ARB air lockers? :eek:[/quote]

Yes!

Junk, why is the snorkel a pain? Is it just because of people asking you what it is? I really want one, mainly just for the colder air, but also for looks. Does it make noise coing down the freeway? Stop me before I buy one if they suck this bad!!!

I'll chime in...in favor of my snorkle. My primary reason for getting one was for dust abatement in the air intake. Most dust will settle about 3 to 4 feet above the road surface. Raising your intake to 6' lessens the amount of crud that enters the intake.

Here in Arizona, as you may have guessed, we have a lot of dusty roads. For my recent Baja trip, I went the extra mile and added a 10" pre cleaner to catch the big stuff. Boy, was I glad I had the snorkle in Baja....dust up the wazoo!

Additionally, when I do have the occasional water crossing, I have greater peace of mind knowing that my intake is up out of the passenger side fender.

So, I guess to snorkle or not depends on the type of wheeling you plan on doing, and whether the $$ investment is worth the extra insurance of a raised intake. I'd say that if crawling is your forte, a snorkle is probably just something else to get crunched; however, if you do long distances on dusty dirt roads, a snorkle might just be a necessity.

Yes, it does attract a lot of attention....almost as much as a roof top tent... ::) For me, I don't mind answering questions as it's kindof time for me to also hype up our local rescue team, where my rig is occasionally used, and we're up for a local vote on a new building.

Yes, a snorkle can be seen as a little bling, but overall I'm really happy with mine and would put another one on the next 80 I get.

-H- :beer:

I never thought about it being for cleaner air intake. That makes sense. They do look good. I'm not a rock crawler, I've done some trails up in the Sierra's that required driving over alot of granite. I'm mostly a dirt road traveler, dusty, muddy or whatever.

hltopper,
but when you're driving down the road, the dust gets kicked-up by other vehicles and wind. I just can't really see that the snorkle would supply any cleaner air, now cooler probably. Plus, the snorkle is a wide open hole, up high yes, but it sucks anything in-front of it up like bugs, rocks, maybe even birds!! I doubt it could handle junk's momma though. The cleaning job goes to the air filter alone. Just my opinion.

[quote author=Hltoppr link=board=2;threadid=11398;start=msg103806#msg103806 date=1076600711]

Here in Arizona, as you may have guessed, we have a lot of dusty roads. For my recent Baja trip, I went the extra mile and added a 10" pre cleaner to catch the big stuff. Boy, was I glad I had the snorkle in Baja....dust up the wazoo!

[/quote]

What does the pre cleaner look like?

John

I second Hltoppr on the dusty AZ roads. Even city streets are dusty, as many don't have sidewalks...just dirt shoulders, and when a truck drives by, it kicks up dust. Most of the dust is only a few feet off the road, so that extra 2 ft of height on the air intakes makes the difference from having to change the air filter often (or risk having dirt enter the engine or engine losing air due to clogged filter). Also, there are the summer dust storms that randomly hit. The snorkel allows one to get a dust bowl attachment, or you can get a fancier turbine dust remover attachment like the Centri air cleaner and mount it on the snorkel (it's like the type that's standard on the international spec 78's).

For a serious water crossing, there are too many things to worry about. As you mention the ECU, then distributor cap/wires, all the engine electronics, etc. A diesel would help get around these problems, but even the newer ones are very electronic. One of those old-fashioned ones w/ no electronics would be optimal.

Oh yeah, the cold air! It has to go through a long tube thats heat absorbing "black?" But it still looks good!

Not only is the air a bit cleaner and colder, there is also more of it. The baffle within the fender is restrictive at best. I believe a snorkel is a good idea for a forced induction rig. These vehicles are more sensitive to heat and the intake air is dramaticaly heated when it is compressed. I took under-hood ambient air temps last summer and found air temps in excess of 180 degrees. At the same time the outside air temp was in the mid 90's. It is easy to see the benefit of dropping the intake air temp 80 some degrees in such a case, especially since water injection only cools about 65 degrees or so.

I fond a noticeably "crisper" throttle response after snorkel installation on my vehicle.

Lastly, it covered up a nice little dent in my fender from a previous off road adventure :flipoff2:

IIRC a snorkle was Required for the installation of the old turbo systems for that very reason, cooler air.

As for pics of the pre-cleaner, check out my Baja Mexico posts 1-3 in the Events and Trail Rides Section. Here's one that might help. It's a 10" precleaner that BMT found for us.

-H-

o.k. good points. Dang, i just can't keep spending all this money that i don't have. Now i want a snorkle. Let's see, wish list: Supercharger, snorkle, arb lockers front and rear, bull bar, slee rear bumper with tire carrier, new stereo with speakers, skid plate, bigger tires, oh yea and exhaust bearings. anything i'm forgetting?

[quote author=Hltoppr link=board=2;threadid=11398;start=msg103806#msg103806 date=1076600711]

I'll chime in...in favor of my snorkle. My primary reason for getting one was for dust abatement in the air intake. Most dust will settle about 3 to 4 feet above the road surface. Raising your intake to 6' lessens the amount of crud that enters the intake.

Additionally, when I do have the occasional water crossing, I have greater peace of mind knowing that my intake is up out of the passenger side fender.

So, I guess to snorkle or not depends on the type of wheeling you plan on doing, and whether the $$ investment is worth the extra insurance of a raised intake. I'd say that if crawling is your forte, a snorkle is probably just something else to get crunched; however, if you do long distances on dusty dirt roads, a snorkle might just be a necessity.

Yes, it does attract a lot of attention....almost as much as a roof top tent... ::) For me, I don't mind answering questions as it's kindof time for me to also hype up our local rescue team, where my rig is occasionally used, and we're up for a local vote on a new building.

Yes, a snorkle can be seen as a little bling, but overall I'm really happy with mine and would put another one on the next 80 I get.

-H- :beer:
[/quote]

-H-, You are correct about dust, but I feel it's only true in warmer climates...here in New England from the first snowfall untill late spring we have constantly wet roads that cause a nasty salt/roadgrime haze that gets sucked right into the snorkel. I was going through 2x as many air filters with the snorkel than I was without. The Grime/salt haze gets kicked up higher than bull-dust I guess and mad a real mess of my filters once I went to the snorkel. in Nov of '03 I began to run the prefilter (seen here http://www.authorizedvehicle4x4.com/STORM/images/1.jpg ) to help increase filter life in the winter....worked well but was a tick restrictive for the 4.0

Everyone would ask about why my exhaust was sticking out my fender.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom