Smittybilt Console Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My s***tybuilt console now rattles like heck just going down the road. Gonna pull it and see whats up, add the Tuffy cup holders. Its OK for the money but I should have bought the CCOT.

Yeah, the Smittybilt is not ideal, but it's only $100. The 62 presents some challenges not present for 60 owners... Rear heater location, fan switch, shifter obstruction causing shorter length if one wants the rear seats to still collapse. Since I would be hacking on any of the consoles offered regardless, I would rather chop up a $100 unit vs $220+.

For the vibrations/rattling I lined the inside of the lid's lip with the loop side of Velcro tape. For the underside where it mates to the rear heater I laid some padding - no rattles from this can.

My s***tybuilt console now rattles like heck just going down the road. Gonna pull it and see whats up, add the Tuffy cup holders. Its OK for the money but I should have bought the CCOT.
Tighten down the bolts to the floor. Mine was doing the same thing and I figured out that the bolts has come loose and allowed it to squeak. After tightening it has been fine for over a year.

Installed the Smittybilt today. Love it.
IMG_0340.JPG

Smittybilt Console FJ62

Was kicking around which console to get for a long time... SLCFJ62's cutting inspired me to swing by 4wheel parts to see if they had a 'no pocket' model in stock, they did so I gave it a go...

Rear heater mod inspired by the crafty work of SLCFJ62 (I used a dremel)...
rear.jpg

Mounted the rear heater switch on the driver's side...
switch.jpg

I cut a tab that can be bent in the bottom of the console, this allows the switch assembly to pass through without leaving a large hole. I cut a small notch on the tab to allow the wires to pass through... Now I just need to protect the switch/wires.:hmm:
open.jpg

The console seems durable, is a comfortable armrest for both passenger and driver and is relatively cheap. Another vote for the smittybilt console.:cheers:
BG_TX,
Hows the Smitty holding up for you? I have a 62 and am thinking hard about going this route. Your install looks really clean... and you kept the heater.

BG_TX,
Hows the Smitty holding up for you? I have a 62 and am thinking hard about going this route. Your install looks really clean... and you kept the heater.

~9years later and still good. The top cushion is showing some cracks and will prob need recovered in the near future but that will be an easy job.

Am I missing some brackets or something that goes off the body for center console mounting? My Smittybuilt won't lie flat on the body mounts for the console, I feel like I'm missing something. The console ends up hitting the body member between the mounts and the shifters (to the right in the picture) at a poor angle. I thought this was a one-banana drill-some-holes job, but now it looks like a fab-up-custom-brackets job.

For what it's worth, my OEM center console is long gone if there was some part to salvage from that.

IMG_2562.jpeg

Am I missing some brackets or something that goes off the body for center console mounting? My Smittybuilt won't lie flat on the body mounts for the console, I feel like I'm missing something. The console ends up hitting the body member between the mounts and the shifters (to the right in the picture) at a poor angle. I thought this was a one-banana drill-some-holes job, but now it looks like a fab-up-custom-brackets job.

For what it's worth, my OEM center console is long gone if there was some part to salvage from that.

View attachment 3017887
IIRC the smitty isn't designed specifically for the 60. I had to cut a fair bit off the rear lower piece of the smitty to get it to be flat. Then had to drill my own holes to match up with the original 60 console holes. Buy longer bolts and experiment a bit.

Here's a pic:
1653500829422.png

Last edited:
Just finished installing the Smittybilt (I got the 31815). It's definitely on the cheap side, but it'll do the job. Mine came with a foot or two of foam tape (ordered off Amazon), which will hopefully help with any possible rattles in the future. I ended up not cutting the skirts... it's still not flat though, if anything it could use a bit more elevation in the rear.

IMG_2603.jpeg

I used M5-0.8x100mm socket cap screws for the back, and will switch over to 90mm in the front. I thought that these boltholes would be M6-1.00 like my rear heater is... but they weren't. They're quite long but seem to hold things down alright. (ignore the rightmost screw, that was seeing how far off a pre-drilled hole was).

IMG_2597.jpeg

I also bought Tuffy cupholders and bolted them onto the front, the higher mounting position. These are definitely worth it, might try to find excuses to get some more around the truck. Using the lower storage for audio and power wires for my phone.

I decided to mount it High and get some storage...
5Clearance.jpg

Looks good in my truck! The 31815 color (Spice) is not a match at all sadly. But it doesn't look out of place at the same time.

IMG_2605.jpeg

It's also a little close to the parking brake handle, might have to watch my hand placement in the future for that. But I had no more room to give before contacting the passenger seat belt bolt-down on the other side.

Just finished installing the Smittybilt (I got the 31815). It's definitely on the cheap side, but it'll do the job. Mine came with a foot or two of foam tape (ordered off Amazon), which will hopefully help with any possible rattles in the future. I ended up not cutting the skirts... it's still not flat though, if anything it could use a bit more elevation in the rear.

View attachment 3020214

I used M5-0.8x100mm socket cap screws for the back, and will switch over to 90mm in the front. I thought that these boltholes would be M6-1.00 like my rear heater is... but they weren't. They're quite long but seem to hold things down alright. (ignore the rightmost screw, that was seeing how far off a pre-drilled hole was).

View attachment 3020213

I also bought Tuffy cupholders and bolted them onto the front, the higher mounting position. These are definitely worth it, might try to find excuses to get some more around the truck. Using the lower storage for audio and power wires for my phone.

Looks good in my truck! The 31815 color (Spice) is not a match at all sadly. But it doesn't look out of place at the same time.

View attachment 3020212

It's also a little close to the parking brake handle, might have to watch my hand placement in the future for that. But I had no more room to give before contacting the passenger seat belt bolt-down on the other side.
I'm on revision 2 of a divider system for Tuffy and Smittybilt consoles. Both have a ton of storage space but are a bottomless pit. Mind shooting me some photos of the interior and exterior of the sides? Either here or the 'gram is fine.

Yeah, here you go! I measured it at10” high by 13 1/4” long by 8 1/8” wide. Or so. But it’s not exactly square. I think the back face is a bit over 90 degrees, and the front face has a slight angle in it most of the way up which is visible in external pictures.

EBCBC02D-0FAC-4C2A-83DD-C97986E36552.jpeg

B2BCBEFB-F6AC-4E70-A363-9C0C2769B873.jpeg

48CC33B1-A456-4B63-8453-E60A87004A8D.jpeg

77F197A5-52E1-4C5A-B46E-7A8B1E6296CB.jpeg

Figure I’d share my install since this thread helped me decide on a better console option.

I got the same 31815 console as others have posted.

Painted it with the nearest matching paint I could find for the interior’s darker gray blue color (already had the paint on hand for the metal dash grab bar install I did not too long ago).

I’ve swapped out the stock front seats for some Recaros earlier this year, so I had some OEM fabric & vinyl that I decided to use on the cushion. End result:

IMG_4354.jpeg

I also added a Combi-Cam lock with both key and combo unlock options, as I much prefer combos to keys for things like this. The lock will need a different size cam and a bit of rework on the latch pieces inside to make it all work, but it won’t be rocket surgery to finish up.

For the install I aligned the forward-passenger hole of the console base with the rearmost-passenger chassis hole. I then drilled a new hole toward the passenger side of the console to match the chassis hole on that side. This positioned it well to clear the passenger Recaro bolster by a small amount, and puts it just in front of the back seat when folded forward. Maybe that makes no sense but if you have the parts in front of you, it might. I had a couple bolts of appropriate size on hand so I used those to mount. Ask if you have questions.

IMG_4357.jpeg

This is a driver not a show pony, so it’s not top priority but the overall plan is to redo the centers of the Recaros with more of the OEM fabric & vinyl, as well as the net headrests so it all matches. Console came first since it offers more functionality between the arm rest and locking storage.

Figure I’d share my install since this thread helped me decide on a better console option.

I got the same 31815 console as others have posted.

Painted it with the nearest matching paint I could find for the interior’s darker gray blue color (already had the paint on hand for the metal dash grab bar install I did not too long ago).

I’ve swapped out the stock front seats for some Recaros earlier this year, so I had some OEM fabric & vinyl that I decided to use on the cushion. End result:

View attachment 3522592

I also added a Combi-Cam lock with both key and combo unlock options, as I much prefer combos to keys for things like this. The lock will need a different size cam and a bit of rework on the latch pieces inside to make it all work, but it won’t be rocket surgery to finish up.

For the install I aligned the forward-passenger hole of the console base with the rearmost-passenger chassis hole. I then drilled a new hole toward the passenger side of the console to match the chassis hole on that side. This positioned it well to clear the passenger Recaro bolster by a small amount, and puts it just in front of the back seat when folded forward. Maybe that makes no sense but if you have the parts in front of you, it might. I had a couple bolts of appropriate size on hand so I used those to mount. Ask if you have questions.

View attachment 3522600

This is a driver not a show pony, so it’s not top priority but the overall plan is to redo the centers of the Recaros with more of the OEM fabric & vinyl, as well as the net headrests so it all matches. Console came first since it offers more functionality between the arm rest and locking storage.
How do you like those recaros? Easy install? Comfortable? I’m looking at a set right now

How do you like those recaros? Easy install? Comfortable? I’m looking at a set right now
I’ve had several sets of them in sportier cars in the past (various LX & LS models) so I find these similarly comfortable. They may be a bit narrow for larger individuals, as is typical. I’m around 6’2” and 190+ lbs for reference; fairly long and lean. I still like the sorta snug fit, even though the cruiser doesn’t corner like some of my old rides 😅

With the lower thigh bolster I still try to be conscious not to smash them on entry/exit. I can see where they could still get worn over time otherwise.

Install wasn’t terrible, though I did have to customize a bit. I reused the original cruiser base/sliders and adapted to fit the Recaro bolt spacing. Here’s a little bit more detail. Not enough for a how-to, but if you’re adventurous and willing to cut and weld, it’s doable. Otherwise I believe brackets can be bought to adapt. I wanted them as low as possible, and preferred to use what was on hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom