Smittybilt Console Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gregnash said:
Just got mine yesterday (31715 version with NO stereo console) and have to say that it is quite sturdy. The one thing that I am a bit confused on, and it seems like mine is the only one that has it from the pics, is that I have two holes on each side and straps. Now the thing is that straps have large center punch rivets in them (assuming for mounting) but I was not supplied with anything that will mount them. Oh well, not a huge loss.

Thats to hold the seat belts up in a Heep;)

Sent from outer space via my mind

I have had one with the stereo slot for years and it has held up very well. The vinyl covering the arm rest looks fine after 5 years and is scratch free pretty good since I have a dog that sometimes walks on it sometimes.

I was all stoked to order one until I read that the one with the cd player bay won't fit on the 62's auto trans shifter :(
Anything out there that will fit and has the cd player slot? Pretty sure tuffy makes one but they're so dang expensive.

So those of you with the 22" model, how far back/forward do you push the console? I was playing with mine and seems like optimal position would be to push it back far enough that there is about 1/4" between the back "legs" and the seat when it is folded down. That sound about right?

Also, how did you transfer over the bolt holes? Figuring that I will just get a piece of paper to map the holes from the old console and then transfer to the new (realizing that the holes will be pushed more towards the drivers side of the console floor to make room for the e-brake).

NOTE: Ok not sure where I found it (if it is in previous posts here) but the bolts/nuts from the stock housing are M6x1.00 so for those that will be replacing with stock stuff that is what you are looking for. I am grabbing some longer screws (looks like 3in should work or 70mm for back) this evening to try and finish this up. Then this weekend it will be on to cutting out my old, dead rear hatch struts.

Last edited:
Installed my Smittybilt console yesterday (non-radio model) and I have to say I think it totally sucks.

1. The cup holders are garbage, super cheapo plastic crap, and do not work worth a damn.
2. There is no latch for the lid except for the key, and it rattles going over terrain/bumps even when latched. I will have to fab something up and add some sort of friction latch.
3. Pad had a spot of glue on it that won't rub off.

I am going to get a Tuffy and use this piece of crap for a rifle target. Wasted $90 on this abomination. 2 thumbs down; save your money. :mad:

Meh, guess my expectations weren't huge on this but mine seems great. I just finished last night but do agree that the cupholders are pretty garbage, but only slightly better than stock. Mine doesn't seem to rattle like yours does but I can tell that the craftsmanship has gone down. WIth mine the holes for the rear legs and the holes in the bottom of the console were completely off. Had to use a step bit to enlage the holes enough that they would fit through without binding. Alos, the location of the bolts/holes is so close to the side that unless you have a super thin walled socket there is no way you are getting one on (top or bottom) I had to use a wrench.

Guess this is only a testament to the crap that Heep owners call "quality".

Smittybilt Console FJ62

Was kicking around which console to get for a long time... SLCFJ62's cutting inspired me to swing by 4wheel parts to see if they had a 'no pocket' model in stock, they did so I gave it a go...

Rear heater mod inspired by the crafty work of SLCFJ62 (I used a dremel)...
rear.jpg

Mounted the rear heater switch on the driver's side...
switch.jpg

I cut a tab that can be bent in the bottom of the console, this allows the switch assembly to pass through without leaving a large hole. I cut a small notch on the tab to allow the wires to pass through... Now I just need to protect the switch/wires.:hmm:
open.jpg

The console seems durable, is a comfortable armrest for both passenger and driver and is relatively cheap. Another vote for the smittybilt console.:cheers:

BG_TX- Did you use the Stereo Smitty, or the shorter security only console? I'm looking to do the same thing in my FJ62, and just want to confirm the part number. Non-stereo part number SMTTY-31711. Thoughts?

I got the short (no stereo) Smittybilt. Need measurements?

Installed mine today with the heater retrofit. Took my time and made a day project out of it. Haven't tackled the heater fan switch yet. Too scared to try the heater fan switch. My cosmetic work on these types of projects is sub par at best.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420157002.380360.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420157072.579597.jpg

Thanks everyone for the input!

I think it's an astonishing improvement over stock. In my 62 With H55 I used the short (non stereo) model and pushed it back so the rear heater lever is about 1/4" behind the console. The lever is a little exposed but nothing too bad, and I may fab a guard at some point. It's hard to see, bc I haven't found the plastic thingy for the end of the lever, and haven't transferred the red/blue decal, but the lever is there. For the switch I hacked up the old console and screwed that chunk to the side until I think of something better. Crude but effective. The cupholders do suck, BTW. I drilled new holes and used the original mounting spots. Super easy and it works.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Does anyone with the radio slot console wnow the overall length WITHOUT the cup holder? Or does any one know the length of the cup holder?

The cupholders are horrible on the Smittybilt, the Tuffy cupholders are a perfect fit on the no-pocket model.

Remove the oem cupholder, don't drink and drive...
1OEM.jpg

The Tuffy cupholder can be mounted Hi or Low, imagine that...
2Top.jpg

3Bottom.jpg

I decided to mount it High and get some storage...
5Clearance.jpg

6Installed1.jpg

This is tempting, but the cruiser crap console seems to be the best design and quality, imo. I don't own one, but it checks a ton of my boxes and has some above and beyond features (phone deck, hidden drawer, 4 STURDY cup holders, NO KEY). Anyone have an direct experience with this model? I'm interested in purchasing one soon.

Land Cruiser Security console, steel and lockable for your FJ40, FJ60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom