Smallest compressor for blast cabinet? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LazarusTaxa

SILVER Star
Threads
As pretty much every part on my 60 has surface rust, it would be REAL nice to have a blast cabinet in my garage. I'd get a huge compressor and standalone cabinet in a heartbeat if I had space but alas I only have my half of a two-car garage already full of stuff, and my 60 sits there.

So, I was thinking about a small tabletop blast cabinet I can put away when not in use.. Any gripes with those?

Assuming that would be a good solution, the bigger issue seems to be finding a compressor capable of running the cabinet that is small enough to not take up a ton of space. What's the smallest compressor I can use for this purpose? 5 CFM?? Any recommendations? I really don't use an air compressor for anything else other than filling tires. I dont have any pneumatic tools, and if/when I get an impact wrench, it'll be electric.

don't the cabinets specify the mininum flow rate needed? Seems like that is what best to go by.
5cfm does not seem much. My little compressor gives about that much or a bit less and can't keep up with air nozzles or cleaner sprays

The downside of the tabletop version is what will actually fit in it to work on. Once you get the part, the gun, the hoses, and your hands in there it can be difficult to accomplish much.

I run one of these:
960-DLX-Deluxe-Abrasive-Blasting-Cabinet_960-dlx_R_1eb12024.jpg

With one of these:
s-l640.jpg

It does 17.2 cfm at 175 psi and cycles frequently while I'm running the blasting cabinet.

I've got the run of mill Chinese (Harbor Freight) 40 lb. (?) floor standing cabinet. I run it with an older 5 HP 60 gallon vertical that I bought at Grainger which I believe is a Speedaire. If I'm on the trigger constantly the compressor can't keep up (pressure dependent - with the regulator at 80 PSI for glass bead work it might keep up.) With breaks to change or inspect parts, clean the glass, clean the dust filter etc. the compressor can usually keep up. Blast cabinets are air hogs plain and simple. I don't think the size of the cabinet that a hobbyist will have comes into play. You've got an open 1/8" or 3/16" orifice flowing full that's all there is to it.

I don't think the size of the cabinet that a hobbyist will have comes into play. You've got an open 1/8" or 3/16" orifice flowing full that's all there is to it.

Yes, and going for a smaller orifice is only going to increase the amount of time it takes to accomplish anything. The cabinet size will limit the size of the piece you can put into it, but the orifice size is like using a paint gun versus an air brush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom