Small generator - Honda or powerhorse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arcteryx

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.cruiseryard.com
looking to get a small generator, like an EU2000. I don't mind paying for quality and I know they have this.

However, the powerhorse version sold by northerntool is half the price and has excellent reviews. Does anyone have first hand experience with this model?

Also take a look at Yamaha ...

I am not experienced with the unit from Northerntool but all the other 1/2 price gensets I've been around (compared to Honda & Yamaha) are either heavier, bigger size and/or not as "quiet".

Last edited:
That's a possibility too, just Honda is the de facto.

On paper though, it's the same size, weight and almost identical noise. I normally wouldn't go down this route as I care about quality , but the excellent reviews suggest I should look at it at least.

Just looked at the Powerhouse... $300 less than Yamaha and similar specs. Might get me to look twice too ;)

if noise is a consideration, I would take those published specs with a grain of salt. I'd really want to hear it run.
And if there is any chance of having to use the generator in an emergency type situation, I would not skimp on quality.
I bought a Honda, but waited until I found a good used one and saved some cash.

I will not believe the other manufactures noise rating unless I personally hear them run alongside a Honda. Noise, or the lack of noise, is what made me choose my eu1000 model.

I also depends on the intended use ? If it's at home around the garage, then noise prob not a big deal. If you're taking it camping, then the sound level does matter.

Yes, they're more money than the others, even the used ones, but I'm a believer.

Yes, the Honda may be more expensive to buy. But they keep their value very well. Buy it new and you can sell it at relatively little loss. Buy it used and you can probably sell it easily and fast and for about the same that you bought it for. I am pretty sure I can do the latter and essentially it will then have cost me nothing or very little to have and use! Nice. A lesser-known brand will cost less to buy new in the first place, sure, but you will lose a lot on resale later on, and not enjoy the high quality of the Honda in the mean time. No brainer, IMHO.

No experience with the NT genset, but if you're in the least bit concerned about quality: Pay once and wince once. Honda is the standard that all the other's are compared against. That alone says something. Yeah, they're more money, but like several have posted, they retain value for a reason.

Your original post states that you don't mind paying for quality. Honda will not disappoint.

Your original post states that you don't mind paying for quality. Honda will not disappoint.

While money doesn't always equal quality, it does most of the time. Thats why I rarely shop at harbor freight, just cheap crap. Almost 95% of it. That said, I do have a big tool box from them, because, well, it was the best quality out there. Great write up on garagejournal, but I digress....

I will probably pass on the NT one though. I am also looking at a dual-fuel champion from Costco. 3 year warranty too, but with costco's return policy it's basically forever. Also excellent reviews.

Costco's return policy can't be beat. I also have an embarrassing number of Harbor Freight tools. I've painted two vehicles with the $9.00 spray gun and am happy with the results.

FWIW, there are ways to modify the EUs with inexpensive aux tanks. Also to run on propane IIRC. And you can run two together for more power.

has anyone converted an EU to work on propane and gas? that could be the winner.

I bought the Honda 3000 gen used for $800. Like new and it is not that much larger or heavier than the 2000 Honda unit. Good luck in your selection.

Honda is the way....I've had a 2000 for a number of years.

I bought the Honda 3000 gen used for $800. Like new and it is not that much larger or heavier than the 2000 Honda unit. Good luck in your selection.

I had the opposite impression: that the EU3000 is significantly bigger and heavier than the EU2000 compared to the difference between 1000 and 2000. I thought the 3000 would barely qualify as hand-portable. IIRC the 3000 is something like 130lbs compared to the 45lbs of the 2000.

My Honda 3000 is a little larger and heavier but I can easily pick it up and move it around and I am 71, I would guess it weighs about 50 - 60 pounds. It is a little louder than my friends 2000 but not by much. My unit is not like the newer style 3000 units. They may have been pumped up with extra things that added a lot of weight. It is a great unit, fits in the back of the 40 without any problems.

e999, my unit is the Honda 3000 CycloInverter model that provides clean power. I have run my laptop without any issues and charged my Iphone as well. It has the 12v outlet for charging batteries, two 20 amp outlets and a single 30 amp outlet.

I will get the exact model number tomorrow when I go over to the shop and post on this thread.

Finally got over to the shop to check the Honda. It is the EB3000C Cycloconverter model. It had a 12 volt DC battery charger outlet, two 120 volt AC outlets and one 21.7 amp twist type receptacle. I find it is faster to plug in a regular battery charger and let it do the recharge of what ever battery I am working on as the battery charger puts out closer to 14 volts than the 12 volt outlet of the generator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom