Small block chev swap clutch help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My fj55 prior to me buying it had a chev 350 already swapped in, however it was in pieces when i acquired it... I have the chevy bell-housing with spacer to the stock yota tranny,, all that is good, my issue is with what throw-out bearing to use? I have stock chevy flywheel, new toyota clutch disc, and stock chev pressure plate.. the yota throw-out bearing that i believe was used previously is too small to push cleanly on the chev pressure plate, also have a chev throw-out bearing but its too big for the yota shaft... what do i need??

IMG_3056[1].JPG

IMG_3057[1].JPG

IMG_3058[1].JPG

IMG_3059[1].JPG

IMG_3060[1].JPG

The Chevy throw out bearing should fit on there if they changed the front bearing retainer to the one that came with that adapter years ago
also you need a Chevy cast iron clutch fork. And usually just use the low profile Chevy diaphragm style pressure with a Chevy clutch disc.

The Chevy throw out bearing should fit on there if they changed the front bearing retainer to the one that came with that adapter years ago
also you need a Chevy cast iron clutch fork. And usually just use the low profile Chevy diaphragm style pressure with a Chevy clutch disc.
I am pretty sure this is more of a home made type kit....the chev throwout bearing is way to loose on the shaft. I am guessing they must have used a pressure plate that has the fingers in tighter circle.

what transmission do you have? i had a 3 speed mounted to a small block and i’m now adapting a 4 speed. both the chevy and toyota throw out bearings fit the same on the tranny input shaft. the toyota one is larger in diameter but has the same contact area with the pressure plate. do you have a calliper measuring tool? you can measure the size of the tranny input shaft and ask a local engine builder what size throw out bearing you’d need. i’m sure they’d be able to tell you as the chevy stuff is pretty common. advance adapters is also really knowledgeable.

a question i have if you don’t mind a quick hijack is about the pressure plate. can someone tell me if a low profile pressure plate requires a special clutch disc or will a chevy pressure plate work with any chevy clutch disc. i need to know if i need to buy both as a kit or just the pressure plate. my clutch is fine but i need the low profile pressure plate to work with my toyota slave cylinder.

hijack over :)

I had that exact kit years ago. Pressure plate ca5473 Chevy cast fork Chevy bearing and Chevy disc. The bearing retainer has probably been turned down to fit the Chevy TO bearing. What are u asking. This was my bellhousing I ran that setup for years.

07A86B2B-21D0-40DE-A67B-5654DA302B84.jpeg

This one works best notice the flat fingers. The standard Chevy PP
Fingers will be taller which won’t work with your oem Toyota hydraulics
You will need this low profile short ratio pressure plate to work with what you have.

C52F29C9-FB8A-4581-B25E-D04341823BE4.jpeg

Ok, here's the deal: You have an early Downey Off Road Mfg. 4 speed adapter (machined Chevy bellhousing with steel adapter plate machined onto the bellhousing). That kit did include a re-machined bearing retainer, machined to (1) clear the Chevy bellhousing, (2) aluminum alignment ring included to machine align tranny to bellhousing, and (3) machined to use the short Chevy throw out bearing. That bellhousing also requires use of the cast steel straight Chevy shift fork. Clutch wise, I still offer the custom Chevota 11" pressure plate and disc for the V8 conversion. Stock Chevy clutch requires more travel to disengage than your slave cylinder provides. A LUK clutch takes every bit of the slave cylinder travel you have to disengage, with no room for anything to be wrong/worn/bent. My Chevota clutches takes only .375" of travel (at the T.O. bearing) to disengage- - -easy deal.

Ok, here's the deal: You have an early Downey Off Road Mfg. 4 speed adapter (machined Chevy bellhousing with steel adapter plate machined onto the bellhousing). That kit did include a re-machined bearing retainer, machined to (1) clear the Chevy bellhousing, (2) aluminum alignment ring included to machine align tranny to bellhousing, and (3) machined to use the short Chevy throw out bearing. That bellhousing also requires use of the cast steel straight Chevy shift fork. Clutch wise, I still offer the custom Chevota 11" pressure plate and disc for the V8 conversion. Stock Chevy clutch requires more travel to disengage than your slave cylinder provides. A LUK clutch takes every bit of the slave cylinder travel you have to disengage, with no room for anything to be wrong/worn/bent. My Chevota clutches takes only .375" of travel (at the T.O. bearing) to disengage- - -easy deal.
Good info thanx, nice to know what i have

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom