1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sm465 install

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by megolfer, Apr 18, 2003.

1. megolfer

megolfer

I am getting ready to install a sm465 into my fj40. I had a sbc350 with the original 3-speed. I was using the stock clutch slave. I know i am going to have to modify the mount for it but when it comes to the clutch pressure plate and disc, what am I going to have to do. Am I going to have to change the entire thing or is it going to fit right up. Any help would be great.

Thanks

2. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    You'll be running a GM disc/plate/throwout/etc....same as what would have been stock in a GM driveline.

AA makes a bracket for the slave, or you can fab one. $35 IIRC...see my writeup, I think I included part #'s and prices.

3. theo

theo

Why do you have to remount the slave cylinder? Isn't it already mounted to a Chevy bell housing and pushing on a Chevy clutch?

Can't you just unbolt the 3-speed and adaptor plate and bolt the sm465 in? Maybe you'll need a new clutch plate if the input shafts are different?
    ???

4. megolfer

megolfer

I have to use a different bellhousing, its not the same one as tyhe one that is on it. Thats why im not sure about the clutch