SM420 -> 2F Clutch issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

those pics look like they are showing a 4spd bellhousing .not a 3spd bellhousing ? just asking ..

I didn't notice the bell housing in 78FJ40mg pics. I'm definitely using the 3 speed bell housing, though. Tomorrow afternoon i'll be able to take a really close inspection and hopefully report back what the problem was.

those pics look like they are showing a 4spd bellhousing .not a 3spd bellhousing ? just asking ..
Did you test fit the pilot bearing on the SM420"s input shaft? You also mentioned you had 1/4" gap from tranny to bell that you had to tighten together, could that possibly be mis-alignment iof the input shaft to the pilot bearing. What condition is the Sm420?

Did you test fit the pilot bearing on the SM420"s input shaft? You also mentioned you had 1/4" gap from tranny to bell that you had to tighten together, could that possibly be mis-alignment iof the input shaft to the pilot bearing. What condition is the Sm420?

Yes, I test fit the pilot bearing before installation. Everything went smoothly. Sm420 was rebuilt prior to all this.

i may have found the culprit. I ordered bearing number 613008 but the part number on my bearing says TK52z-1B. Quick search and I believe they sent me the wrong bearing. Does this picture look way off?
image.jpg

Poking around online a bit and I'm pretty sure I've got the wrong bearing. My bearing box even says 613008.... Guess I should have been more thorough in making sure everything was right.

Do you think I messed up the pressure plate too much testing things out?

image.jpg

Poking around online a bit and I'm pretty sure I've got the wrong bearing. My bearing box even says 613008.... Guess I should have been more thorough in making sure everything was right.

Do you think I messed up the pressure plate too much testing things out?

I'm thinking you could have the wrong bearing, OR kinda looks like you put the T/O bearing on backwards, check out photo below of correct bearing. can't tell if the PP fingers are grooved deep, maybe you can smooth them out with a fine flap disc?

View attachment 963093
to bearing 001.JPG
to bearing 002.JPG

Your release bearing looks almost identical to my 4 spd release bearing, however, it looks like it's on backwards, I believe that's your problem. The rounded side goes towards the pressure plate, that's the reason yours is squealing.

IMG_20140728_132100_zps8f7a0c1e.jpg

Yes, it is on backwards. One side rotates and the wrong side doesn't, hence the squealing. The pressure plate appears to have survived.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still leaning towards me having the wrong bearing. Mine does not look like the others pictured plus the back and front spin together. And the wrong part number is stamped into it.

What do you think? Am I an idiot who installed the wrong bearing or am I an idiot who installed the correct bearing backwards?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still leaning towards me having the wrong bearing. Mine does not look like the others pictured plus the back and front spin together. And the wrong part number is stamped into it.

What do you think? Am I an idiot who installed the wrong bearing or am I an idiot who installed the correct bearing backwards?

View attachment 963215 View attachment 963216 View attachment 963217 View attachment 963218
Wrong bearing, should have a conical surface not flat that will push on the diaphragm PP fingers.

Whether or not it is the correct bearing, it was installed backwards so that the part that cannot rotate contacted the pressure plate.

Whether or not it is the correct bearing, it was installed backwards so that the part that cannot rotate contacted the pressure plate.

I guess it's a dead issue now but the part of the wrong bearing contacting the pressure plate did spin, but it spun with back side too. I'm guessing this is where my noise was coming from. The backside of the bearing squealing on my bearing retainer.

Either way no one local had the bearing in stock so I ordered it. We'll see what Rock Auto tells me when I say the wrong bearing was in the box.

I seem to be getting hung up on the dumbest problem. With a few more parts stores open today i made some calls and found 2 places with stock. A small local place and the Toyota dealership. Neither bearing looked like the ones pardion & 78fj40mg have pictured above.

Where are you guys getting the bearing? rather than take my chances i'd rather order from someone who will for sure ship the right one.

Here's the toyota bearing
IMG_2817.JPG

They all look correct to me. The important thing is that the rounded side (facing up in your picture) is not fixed to the hub when it is installed and rotates independently from the inside race which is pressed on the hub. It is this side that needs to contact the pressure plate. You seem to be having trouble visualizing this, no?

They all look correct to me. The important thing is that the rounded side (facing up in your picture) is not fixed to the hub when it is installed and rotates independently from the inside race which is pressed on the hub. It is this side that needs to contact the pressure plate. You seem to be having trouble visualizing this, no?

I can visualize the rounded side on the Toyota ome bearing, but what side would you suggest is rounded on the bearing i currently own? T
bearing1.jpg

bearing2.jpg

I guess i was trying to get the same bearing 78fj40mg has to avoid any further problems. I really don't want to remove the transmission again.

The shape of the bearing isn't as important as its orientation on the hub. If you hold the inner race on your fingers and spin the outer race, the face that spins needs to face the pressure plate. If you lay the bearing flat on a table it should spin. You want the face that spins with the outer race to face the pressure plate.

According to my resources, that bearing is used for late model '84-'87 2F's. Based on the part number on the box, wether it is suitable for the application, sorry, can't help you there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom