Builds SLOW 71 (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so they sit in one location and get wear in that one spot due to torsional vibration coming back up the steering components from the wheels. This eventually produces premature wear in the u-joint bearings.
When I mentioned the wear to the sales rep. all he commented on was to check if the slip joint in the shaft was bound up. He said that could cause premature wear. My shaft is not bound up and works fine (sorry I had to say it) :). I don't see any way to grease them, but going to find out if they're rebuildable. Your idea sounds good to me and besides it wouldn't hurt to rotate it every year along with the rest of the yearly maintenance. I guess when you make turns that isn't enough time to even the wear?

Rush, you are right, they are very proud of those joints.

Didn't you have problems with your steering box too? And didn't you have to replace the TREs recently? I'm thinking this is all related.

I've had those Borgeson joints on a truck for over 10 years and just pulled them for an engine swap. They are still nice and tight.

Well yes, yes and maybe. The Borgesons on my wagon are 10 years old, but only @50,000 miles. I've replaced/rebuilt/upgraded the steering box several times and the TREs have been replaced due to wear and using a pickle fork one time. I don't know what to think about it or what else I could do different. I'll rotate them in the Winter with the yearly overhaul. I'm at the point where another 50,000 miles might just be enough. :)

Well yes, yes and maybe. The Borgesons on my wagon are 10 years old, but only @50,000 miles. I've replaced/rebuilt/upgraded the steering box several times and the TREs have been replaced due to wear and using a pickle fork one time. I don't know what to think about it or what else I could do different. I'll rotate them in the Winter with the yearly overhaul. I'm at the point where another 50,000 miles might just be enough. :)
I replaced mine after only 3-4 years. Mine is likely my fault- I may have exceeded the maximum angle of operation. It wasn’t exactly loose, but they sort of clicked occasionally. Cheap repair in the scene of things.

Mine is likely my fault- I may have exceeded the maximum angle of operation.
How much difference in your set up than normal? I wouldn't think the angle coming from the firewall to the frame to be too great.

Cheap repair in the scene of things.
I don't know, but $106 a u joint seems pretty steep to me and I'm getting close to the $5,000 limit. :) Might have to cut back on the Bud.... ah, I mean Coors. :bang:

I hope you need more than another 50k miles Ron!
I don't even know how many miles I have put on my Pig, but I feel like less than 50k.
The 55/60 steering u-joints (same as an early Corolla driveshaft u-joint!) have been doing just fine so far.

I thought we were good to go, so we spent last Sunday down on the Black river with the grand kids and the 55. Went to load it up and closed the tailgate window only to find it had two big cracks through it. Took it apart and ran the glass to a new glass cutter ( old one passed away ) and found out what I had been calling green tint was actually a blue tint. 🤷‍♂️ So, the blue is hard to find now and he doesn't stock it, only green. It is different somewhat when next to each other, but had to go with the green, we'll see if it's too bad or not at the Pig Party.
Anyway, the cadmium plating held up great for 50,000 miles, but man was there a build up of mud/dust on the rollers and tracks. Another area to look at more often and clean/lubricate as needed.

IMG_4557.JPG

Any idea what cracked it?

Packing up to leave in the morning for the '23 Pig Party / Road Trip West. Everything seems to be in working order, but that's to be determined on the road or off the road as it may. Packing for two people @ 18 days is a chore. Never can remember everything we need or what worked best and will no doubt forget something important like last year, my pillow. :bang: I did remember two very important items, my new beer, Pabst Blue Ribbon and thanks to Evan, the new internet craze fire extinguisher. :grinpimp:

IMG_4563.JPG

IMG_4562.JPG

I'll try to post along the road to keep you up to date and will surely miss all you guys and gals at the party. I've come to truly enjoy all my friends on MUD and look forward to seeing everyone, so keep trying to make them. :cheers:

Things to do next Winter... Air bags, she seems to be sagging in the azz!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom