Sliders Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since I have yet to see another GX460 build locally, looking to you guys for recommendations. I have the sidesteps removed and plan to cut them to make rocker covers. I'm looking for a slider that provides enough exposure to step on but isn't sticking way out like the running boards. I've been leaning towards SSO and see a lot of you guys are running them. Any feedback? Other brands that are a good alternative?

Thanks,
Jason

Since I have yet to see another GX460 build locally, looking to you guys for recommendations. I have the sidesteps removed and plan to cut them to make rocker covers. I'm looking for a slider that provides enough exposure to step on but isn't sticking way out like the running boards. I've been leaning towards SSO and see a lot of you guys are running them. Any feedback? Other brands that are a good alternative?

Thanks,
Jason
For the 460, SSO and MetalTech OPOR are the most popular. I run the OPOR sliders and they have worked well for me. Good step, good jacking point, and good protection. SSO hadn't released their 460 sliders when I got mine, but they have some of the best designed stuff in the business and although I haven't used their 460 sliders I know their products are always top notch and would not hesitate to purchase from them.
20180204_152333.jpg

If you use it offroad I do recommend a little more bump out in front of the rear tire than the OPOR due to the flare out of the body panel. As you can see below, the OPOR didnt save the body from a tree. The damage could have been with a little more bump-out (or a slightly longer one).
20180614_081745.jpg

If you use it offroad I do recommend a little more bump out in front of the rear tire than the OPOR due to the flare out of the body panel. As you can see below, the OPOR didnt save the body from a tree. The damage could have been with a little more bump-out (or a slightly longer one).
View attachment 1896160
Thanks for the advice, especially regarding the kick out for body protection.

I absolutely agree with more width/bump-out.
Here is my rig: R2M 2013 GX 460 Expo
I plan on replacing these some time in the future with sliders that are 2 to 3 inches wider for several reasons:
1) the reason as above, not to buckle panels.
2) more pivot room if you have to pivot on the slider, again you won't buckle your panel.
3) not as likely to get door dings from little old ladies with their 5' long Cadillac doors swinging into mine or any other mindless person who just pushes their door all the way open when exiting a vehicle. Did you happen to notice that this is a pet peeve of mine???

I don't mind trail pin stripping but I don't like dings in parking lots or fender bashing on trails.

I really like the looks of the RSG sliders. They have been confirmed on GXOR to fit the GX460 and I believe one of the shop folks actually owns one.

Still trying to decide between the angled or flat, but I do like the top plate on each.

2010+ 5th Gen Toyota 4runner

Thanks,
Jason
I did the Rocky Road super sliders. Chose these because they fit up super tight with an angle and still provide good coverage and pro. Similar to Shrockworks on the 10' 4runner trail with KDSS.- Also a good option if they are still in production

IMG_0978.jpg

@SocalLC150 : do you have any other pics by chance? Trying to decide between Rocky Road and SSO but having trouble finding good pics. Your pic, like some others, make the RRO sliders look a bit too short (front and rear). What are your thoughts on it?
I like that the RRO sliders don't stick out very much. I won't be lifting my '14 GX460 nor ever using a roof rack so I won't ever really need to have a true step on the sliders.

View attachment 1896160
I think this cements it for me. Will be looking for sliders with significant kick-out.

Another excellent option is White Knuckle Off Road.
They offer all the features you’re looking for, are tremendously stout, look good, and are affordable.

@SocalLC150 : do you have any other pics by chance? Trying to decide between Rocky Road and SSO but having trouble finding good pics. Your pic, like some others, make the RRO sliders look a bit too short (front and rear). What are your thoughts on it?
I like that the RRO sliders don't stick out very much. I won't be lifting my '14 GX460 nor ever using a roof rack so I won't ever really need to have a true step on the sliders.
Hidden bonus of wider sliders - Last time I was in DC for work, I watched someone park way to close to my GX and fling their door open with reckless abandon. They flung their door into a steel pipe instead of my door. The kickout has also saved my rear door/quarter panel from at least one poorly placed stump on a narrow trail.

The slider kickout also provides a great place to access the roof of your GX for routine washing/waxing/etc, and especially so if you are lifted. IMO, get the sliders as wide as you can - there are a lot of benefits and few drawbacks. Getting the narrow ones may work for sliding over rocks but provides limited protection for the other things listed above (inattentive door openings, trees/rocks off to the side, and getting T-boned in a crash).

I think this cements it for me. Will be looking for sliders with significant kick-out.
FYI- All Metal-tech 4x4 and OPOR sliders are 20% off with FLAT $149 shipping lower 48 right now, ends 4/1/23. Use code: SLIDER20
WE have all GX460 sliders in stock (raw and powder coated) ready to ship, no waiting.

On the photo above, regarding rails sticking out farther. I designed those sliders and have wheeled everything from East TX to the Rubicon with the same kick outs on different trucks. That photo shows a hit right past the slider before the rear wheel. Unless a slider stuck out like pontoons and went straight away from the body of the truck, (still no guarantee it would in that situation help) that is just the rare hit that truck had in whatever spot it was on a trail.

Why not go straight out from the body in the back and make a big loopy kick out? A. Blunt ends = Rock hooks

#1 Blunt ends, as in flat ends on a slider be it the body of the slider or the rub rail, when flat away from the truck = ROCK HOOKS. Slide past the obstacle, the obstacle then hooks behind that flat part. Now you can not back up, or you back up and the 3" root/brank or larger loose rock, kicks up and impales the truck, thus damage.
- Solution, front and rear of a proper rub rail should be tapered to allow both directions of travel w/o hooking obstacles.

So why not stick the slider WAY out? A. Stick out too far = Pontoons limit access

#2 Its a fine line how far to stick a rub rail out. We want it out far enough that a vertical obstacle can not hit the radius of the doors. On the Metal-tech 4x4 and OPOR sliders we use that as a guideline. We have the kick outs of our Trademarked designed two stage rub rail on some sliders go just slightly past that. The front rail where you are getting in and out, well that is just past the radius of the door. Any wider and we as the slider manufacturer are guessing all the trails you run are wide open space. Too wide of sliders will act as trail pontoons and in some obstacles be the difference of driving through or not. (b.) None trail: the other reason is if its daily driver you open your door and step out past the slider the back of your leg, wipes off the road grime. Fastest complaint from significant others, have heard first and second hand! (yes all still great roof access steps)

We want rails to protect and be as universal as possible. There will always be that one obstacle if you take it just right, or slide just right that will get ya. We hear it all the time how the rub rails save trucks in parking lots! (bumpers too for run away shopping carts) Since we have been doing this professionally for over 23yrs, and wheeling what we make all across the US the sliders we build are the perfect balance.

Metal-tech 4x4 2.jpg

I know this is an old thread, but I ran SSO sliders with kickout on my 470. Some thoughts/observations:

1. I did really like the kick out. I had never run sliders with a kick out before. The SSO sliders kicked out several inches wider than my tires. If they bumped a tree, that was my feeler to know to back up and try a wider track rather than let it "bounce" me around the tree like some have indicated. I'll reiterate that the kick out also made a good step for accessing the roof.
2. I did weld on (at the time it was their only option). I would not recommend weld on sliders. They were a PIA to get installed and despite 5x coats of paint, the welds started to rust within a few months.
3. Aside from the kick out, the rest of the slider held close to the body line, which looked nice, but was not usable as a step for front passengers. My wife needed that step. If you need something with a usable step, I would look at a much wider design like Slee.
4. Overall the quality of the SSO sliders was great. Welds were nice. I did have a gripe that the sliders weren't assembled perfectly flat. One side tilted up slightly toward the body and the other tilted down slightly toward the ground. It was very obvious when the sliders sat next to each other on the ground, but became less obvious when they were installed (mine were way before the scamdemic, so no excuses about labor/materials/etc. from that).

I know this is an old thread, but I ran SSO sliders with kickout on my 470. Some thoughts/observations:

1. I did really like the kick out. I had never run sliders with a kick out before. The SSO sliders kicked out several inches wider than my tires. If they bumped a tree, that was my feeler to know to back up and try a wider track rather than let it "bounce" me around the tree like some have indicated. I'll reiterate that the kick out also made a good step for accessing the roof.
2. I did weld on (at the time it was their only option). I would not recommend weld on sliders. They were a PIA to get installed and despite 5x coats of paint, the welds started to rust within a few months.
3. Aside from the kick out, the rest of the slider held close to the body line, which looked nice, but was not usable as a step for front passengers. My wife needed that step. If you need something with a usable step, I would look at a much wider design like Slee.
4. Overall the quality of the SSO sliders was great. Welds were nice. I did have a gripe that the sliders weren't assembled perfectly flat. One side tilted up slightly toward the body and the other tilted down slightly toward the ground. It was very obvious when the sliders sat next to each other on the ground, but became less obvious when they were installed (mine were way before the scamdemic, so no excuses about labor/materials/etc. from that).

Thank you for the advice. I ended up going with RCI sliders with a kick out and a flat profile for the step for my wife. I think it will be a good fit. 3-4 week lead time. Hoping to have them delivered/installed before Texas Toyota Jamboree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom