Sleeping platform 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is pretty cool, I have never seen a set up with PVC before. My only concern would be the noise it "might" make once you are on it and roll over or move around. Either way, good job!

What kind of anchors do you suggest?

The first thought that comes to mind is threaded turnbuckles placed at an angle (30-45° forward and aft alternating). This will help, possibly solve, the rigidity issue others have mentioned. Use wide diameter fender washers on top of the plywood. This will leave an unfortunate bump to sleep on but there is no way to surface mount something to the underneath side that will be remotely strong enough.

Hi,
Thanks for the photo. Those are great looking drawers. A few questions for you. How tall are you? Does the front section fold up allowing you to use the second row? The mattress I’m making is out of 2.5in high density foam to shave off a few inches. I chose that height specifically for the storage section based off the cargo I want to store under it. Hmm
I'm 6ft tall and can crawl around in mine w/out hitting my head. The high density foam to shave off a few inches will help. Have you tried crawling around on top of it to test for headroom and to see if the pvc is moving around on you?

My front section is not very easily removed. I used 2.5 inch torx head decking screws into a 2x2 cleat that is attached to the front of the drawer box. I lost the bench and have not needed to put it back in and would rather have the pass thru compartment space there. Here's a pic of my simple construction and the bench space:
1583531818568.png

Last edited:
what are you going to use to cover the windows? I found this hardboard at home depot pretty cheap. Cut it and used hook and loop (AKA velcro) to stick it to the windows.
View attachment 2231245
That looks great! I’m going to steal that for the windows! What is the hardboard and what did you cut it with? My girlfriend and I are 5’7 and 5’0 so think headroom will be fine. I just finished the mattress but the truck is at the shop getting a breaks upgrade and some spot welding on the door jams so I haven’t been able to try it out. That being said I’ve sat on it a few times and haven’t heard anything.

That looks great! I’m going to steal that for the windows! What is the hardboard and what did you cut it with? My girlfriend and I are 5’7 and 5’0 so think headroom will be fine. I just finished the mattress but the truck is at the shop getting a breaks upgrade and some spot welding on the door jams so I haven’t been able to try it out. That being said I’ve sat on it a few times and haven’t heard anything.
this quote from my sleep platform thread:

I'm using left over hardboard for blinds. I bought it from home depot for cutting a package tray for my Galaxie. It's 1/8inch thick and 4'x8' and very inexpensive. One side is slick and the other is kind of waffled. I made templates from paper and traced onto the hardboard. I cut it out using a cutting wheel but jigsaw prob would have been better. Then stuck some velcro to the slick side of the board and it's mate to the windows. this for the quarter windows and the back window. the back doors will get skeeter beaters so I can roll down the windows. probably drape a blind across the front seats. Maybe put a cord from handhold to handhold and pull the blinds over the seats.

Now that I've used them I don't recommend the "Skeeter Beaters" just get some black mosquito netting and make your own and buy some heavy magnets. They're magnets are not strong enough to hold the netting in 20 mph wind. (like I experienced on the beach) Also even though they have a camo print, they are pretty transparent so not much privacy.

You can put some Velcro tape around the edges of your rear windows and then cut some felt of your color choice to fit and just Velcro it in place.

So whatever happen to this project?
Did it work out.
How did it hold up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom