Slee vs 4x4labs Rear Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The slee bumper will clear most aftermarket tanks. The Slee hitch insert will clear a factory sub-tank only.

what about the ability to put a long range tank?

I guess that the slee bumper has no problem with the tank, what about with the optional 2" carrier? can you still put a long range tank?

I know there is a threat about a guy who has a 4x4 labs bumper with a long range tank but i am not shure he has the 2" hitch carrier.

I need a bumper with carrier and the ability for a future long range tank.

If you tell Luke what long range tank you have, he can build his bumper for it. I told him when I ordered mine that I had a Long Ranger fuel tank. He built it perfect to the tank even though he didn't have the tank in the shop.

I also have the 2" receiver in the bumper. It pulls the 2k lbs.Adventure Trailer with no problem.

So,
you can get the spare tire, ladder AND can holder on the same bumper? I thought it was an either/or on the last 2 of 3 options.

Gots any pics?

yup. the jerry can holder is a bolt-on attachment to the ladder, so you can remove it when not in use. you can specify what size you want too, 2 or 3 can holder. my 3 can holder holds my ice chest perfectly.
normal_dsc_0045_2.jpeg
100_0654.jpg

Sub'd

Wow, way to bring back a 9 year old thread!

Does anyone else currently make a high clearance bumper besides 4x4 Labs? I just saw a pair of Dissent Off Roads bumpers on a 100, really liked it. But I don't think he does 80 bumpers.

I currently have a custom fab bumper with side wings and swing out mounted in factory location. It had no hitch so I still have factory hitch. SO tired of dragging it! (That and its rusting badly).

I believe AOE (American Overland Expedition) still makes a high clearance rear. I'm not sure that they offer them as a ready made product as they are a fab shop and do a lot of custom, to-order stuff. I think their website is defunct so you might try calling them (949) 295-0042. They're located in Laguna Hills, CA.

Wow, way to bring back a 9 year old thread!

Does anyone else currently make a high clearance bumper besides 4x4 Labs? I just saw a pair of Dissent Off Roads bumpers on a 100, really liked it. But I don't think he does 80 bumpers.

I currently have a custom fab bumper with side wings and swing out mounted in factory location. It had no hitch so I still have factory hitch. SO tired of dragging it! (That and its rusting badly).
Bump It Off Road makes a high clearance.
upload_2017-9-29_22-52-36.png

I'm running the AOE front bumper, & Luke's 4 x 4 labs out back

Since my tires are just barely 33 inches tall, departure angle was very important. I'll bump up to 35 next time, I'm super stoked on my 4 x 4 labs

249062D9-2789-4F6A-95C2-30B418818219.jpg

I had Luke install his bumper on my 1st 80 and LOVED it! That truck got crushed between a semi hauling gravel and a fully loaded box truck... ;-( (BTW, had my wife been driving her Jetta she would've been mangled or dead) My new rig had a Slee bumper already on it so here are my notes:
Both are excellent build construction. 4x4Labs has superior departure angle because the geometry of the rolled plate steel used and IMO has a cleaner look. The spare tire carrier is angled slightly which also adds to a sexier look but it tends to bounce a bit more than the Slee on rough roads. It never bothered me and I don't think it's a problem at all just an observation. 4x4Labs have Hi-Lift slots cut into the sides which is a very handy touch and, probably the most notable difference, is that 4x4 uses a single lock handle and gas struts VS Slee's double lock handle and two manual lock pins.. For everyday use this is a big deal. It takes me twice the time and effort to open up the Slee and requires both hands whereas I could carry an item in one arm and open the 4x4labs easily with the other. I find myself loading stuff in through the passenger door and folding down one of the rear seats more and more which kinda sucks... Another curiosity arose as a result of the accident, the initial cause was that my truck was rear ended by the box truck which struck at a slight angle (not a straight hit from the rear) The 4x4Labs bumper basically sheared right off and was laying in the road at the exact point of impact. I cannot be sure that the Slee would've performed differently but I do wonder (and am somewhat convinced) that the elimination of the rear crossmember required to install the 4x4 labs does compromise the structural integrity somewhat. Given the overall stout frame of the 80 it really is a minor consideration but if I were thinking about towing I would definitely lean more towards the Slee. At the end of the day both are EXCELLENT bumpers but I give a slight tip to 4x4Labs due to ease of use.

My 80 came with a slee w/ dual swing outs sold it and upgraded to a 4x4 labs with no swing outs. Labs has a better departure angle but they both have too much corner IMO. Did the pictured bumper for a customer and it has them both beat in the corners.

img_0514-jpg.1010750

back from the dead.

are you able to tow from the receivers of each bumper? I read somewhere you can't with the Slee bumper, but can with the 4x4 labs one?

It is possible to connect a trailer to both the Slee and 4x4 Labs bumpers. Slee has never "certified" theirs as being an official trailer hitch, likely due to liability concerns. I do not know if 4x4 Labs officially calls theirs a trailer hitch.

my 4x4 rear has a hitch receiver that has been used to tow a lot of heavy things. it is very beefy construction. i don't know if it is rated, but the bumper has more frame capture bolts than a port installed class 3 valley hitch for an 80.

class 3 hitch is rated to 6000/600lbs without weight distribution. this exceeds the tow rating of an 80.

I towed my 9,800 lb. caterpillar little excavator plus 2200 lbs trailer from Marin county to Joshua Tree using a 4x4 labs bumper with integrated hitch so that's 11k on the bumper hitch
just sayin:cheers:

that exceeds the vehicle tow rating (5,000/500) and the maximum rating of a class 3 hitch with weight distribution (10,000/1,000)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom