Slee sliders installed, some observations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landtank

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
landtankproducts.com
I was lucky enough to find a set of used sliders form another forum member here and installed them today.

I'm not sure if this has been covered before but I thought I'd post up some issues I had in case it hasn't been.

First off you would probably want to run a 8mm x 1.25 tap through the 4 holes that are used to secure the front gusset on the passenger side. 9 years of driving had filled them in a little and the slider had to come back down to chase them.

Second you should check the tranny crossmember for hanging over the edge of the frame in that same area. The plate was interferring with the crossmember and holding the slider up at an angle. The plate also looked like it might have hit a similar situation on it's previous truck as it had a slight bend at that corner. Again the slider came down and the crossmember was ground down to allow proper fitment.

Third look closely at the gusset that passes under the cats on a 95~97. While the rear side of mine had plenty of room the front edge was contacting the rib of the front cat. Again the slider came down and I needed to grind the front edge a little to get some more room in there.

The only real disappointment was that all the holes in the gussets plates where they mount to the frames had elongated holes. I positioned the slider as far down as possible but because of the holes shape they would seem to be real willing to move up on the frame. I would have prefered it if the lower holes on the front and rear support to be only a little oversized so they would help hold the slider down in it's position. Understandably the rest would have to be left elongated to allow for some fitment issues.

Overall a very nice product and I'm glad to finally have them. Any thoughts on how to anchor these things down. I was thinking of welding some washers in place so the bottom is captured. I think I saw a suggestion of welding them on the frame but that's not for me.

What the saying . . . . Oh yeah, this thread is worthless without pics

YWHS. FWIW IIRC TTIWWP AFAIK. Post 'em ASAP, ya SOB ..... NTTAWWT :D

TY

We suggest to people that wheel really hard to tack the plates to the frame with 1" welds in places where you can get to it easily. This way it is relatively easy to remove later. The reason for the slots instead of holes are variations in trucks. The washer idea will also work, but the u-bolt also has a little play. Maybe a combination of both if you have the time.

Some asked for pics, I'm thinking it's of the area I needed to grind and the truck looks just like every other 80 with Christo's slider on it.

This first pic is of the area where I needed to grind the crossmember. I removed enough so there is a gap between the slider's plate and the crossmember. If it were to touch at all I'd imagine a lot of vibrations while driving.

The second pic is the front of the gusset that travels under the cats. If you follow the rib from the cat toward the gusset you'll see that I have about a 1/4" gap now, it was touching before.

Christo, I'm going to do something. Not sure what yet.
cross.jpg
cat.jpg

Congratulations Rick.

One step closer to your goal. Work on that winch and plan on a trip to CM '06...:D

I'll buy the first few rounds...:grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom