Slee Group 31M drop-in Battery Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Way back when I purchased a Slee type 31M battery tray kit and a Sears Die Hard Platinum AGM type 31M battery to go with it. As with many folks, the Sears PDH type 31M battery died after about 2 years, and my mechanic "did me a favor" by replacing it with an stock Interstate 27F. I really can't complain, as that 27F has lasted me six years, but I'd like to replace it before taking any long road trips over the summer. I know the LC comes with a type 27F battery, but I figured since I got the Slee tray for a type 31 battery let me see what I could find. I wanted to avoid AGM technology after the bad experience with the Sears 31M, and I would prefer something which I could just drop in without extending any wires. After a bit of research on the Interstate webpage I found this:

An Interstate type 31A commercial vehicle battery, 950 CCA, 195 Reserve, MSRP $169

by comparison, the X2 Power Premium AGM type 31M seen below:

will perform somewhat better with 1150 CCA and a reserve capacity of 220 minutes, but will cost 2.5x as much with a MSPR of $429

The Interstate 31M AGM seen here:

is somewhat cheaper with a MSRP of $353, and other than the AGM technology offers the same specs with a 925 CCA and a reserve of 200 minutes.

Finally compared to the Optima Blue:

with a MSRP of $330 we get a CCA of 900 and a reserve of 155.

So basically if you have the Slee type 31M tray and kit, but don't want to spend the extra money for an AGM battery, an Interstate Type 31A Commerical Lead Acid battery seems to be the way to go.

I would check out the Duracell/Energizer AGM if you have Sam’s Club or Batteries Plus. I believe both are made by Deka.
I have very happy with both my Energizer group 65 agms, which replaced my sears diehard platinum.

Costco at least the ones I have been to in NC and CA only carry the regular lead acid and none of the AGM interstates.

I saw about 3 Interstate AGM at Costco tire a few weeks ago

Something to be aware of with batteries is the voltage requirement to charge it. With the Odyssey batteries, the Land Cruiser doesn't supply high enough voltage to charge the battery without sulfating a bit. Odyssey really wants about 14.7-14.8v, but the LC tends to average about 14.4. As a result, I find it necessary to sometimes trickle charge for a while. Be aware of the charge requirements of the batteries you are looking at. The 100 was designed with unsealed lead acid voltages in mind.

I have love my NAPA Legend75 Series 49 battery. It's lead acid, but fits snug without the need for a tray and provides solid performance (900 CCA and a 185 Reserve). I've had mine for over 2 years with zero complaints. It charges great and I can run my fridge for nearly 48 hours without needing to start the rig. I've considered AGM, but the NAPA has been too good.

After spending $300 on a Sears Die Hard Platinum 31M AGM battery, plus another $100 on the Slee tray, only to have the battery die after 2.5 years I am a firm believer in this. Some have argued that the inability of the LC alternator to fully charge an AGM battery only applies to the Sears Die Hard 31P, in other threads I have read that NO AGM battery can be fully recharged by a LC alternator alone. In any case I'm not taking any changes - my next battery will be lead acid.

Since my group 31 Slee tray is a sunk cost, I think I found a good group 31 battery to use with it. CARQUEST makes three 31A batteries with various CCA ratings - the highest is 1000 with a reserve time of 195 minutes. Also what I especially like is that CARQUEST in made by Penn East in the USA.

Something to be aware of with batteries is the voltage requirement to charge it. With the Odyssey batteries, the Land Cruiser doesn't supply high enough voltage to charge the battery without sulfating a bit. Odyssey really wants about 14.7-14.8v, but the LC tends to average about 14.4. As a result, I find it necessary to sometimes trickle charge for a while. Be aware of the charge requirements of the batteries you are looking at. The 100 was designed with unsealed lead acid voltages in mind.

After spending $300 on a Sears Die Hard Platinum 31M AGM battery, plus another $100 on the Slee tray, only to have the battery die after 2.5 years I am a firm believer in this. Some have argued that the inability of the LC alternator to fully charge an AGM battery only applies to the Sears Die Hard 31P, in other threads I have read that NO AGM battery can be fully recharged by a LC alternator alone. In any case I'm not taking any changes - my next battery will be lead acid.
I am hopeful the alternator voltage booster will keep my parts store AGM's happy. Only time will tell, but I'll report back with any issues 🤞

I periodically (every month or so) hook my AGM batteries up to a battery charger to keep them healthy. I did this on my sears diehard platinum Group 65 which lasted for about 8 years.

I have an older version of the Odyssey Charger that can do up to 25 amps. ODYSSEY Battery - Battery Chargers

The stock alternator does NOT have the voltage to charge an Odyssey AGM. When in the garage I charge mine with a CTEK (Amazon product ASIN B000FRLO9Y) and when on the trail I have 100 watt solar on the roof and the charge controller is configured per Odyssey's charge profile. GREAT batteries if you can live with the higher voltage charging.

What if you’re running dual Odyssey batteries with an ML-ACR. Which battery should you hook up a battery tender to periodically? Just the main starter battery (group 31), or should you put a tender on the smaller auxiliary battery also?

I went with a replacement Group Bosch 27R (IIRC that has the +- posts on the "correct" side of the battery).

I too was burned by Sears Diehard. I had it in storage (off the ground, periodically on trickle charger) and after 30 months put it in and a died after 6 months and like one month out of warranty.

Just an FYI I’m getting about 14.7 cruising on the scangauge with the HKB voltage booster feeding my single Northstar AGM. YMMV.

Just an FYI I’m getting about 14.7 cruising on the scangauge with the HKB voltage booster feeding my single Northstar AGM. YMMV.
I am seeing similar results. Getting 14.4-8v on my aftermarket voltmeter with my homebrew booster.

Last edited:
This is exactly what I'm doing with my battery. Getting the Northstar, 180amp alternator, and volt booster.

What if you’re running dual Odyssey batteries with an ML-ACR. Which battery should you hook up a battery tender to periodically? Just the main starter battery (group 31), or should you put a tender on the smaller auxiliary battery also?

Both batteries would need the correct charge profile to order to maintain maximum life. Odyssey has list of approved chargers on their site. I had that setup and ended up removed it all because I didn't want to add a DC to DC charger which is what you need to properly maintain two AGM batteries. So I moved to a single 31 Odyssey with solar and for my needs its been perfect. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom