SIMPLE QUESTION, wanting simple answers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How "hard" will rebuilding a 3fe be?
I'm a "young" mechanic by trade i have all the tools i could possibly need, done a whole lot of range in work but rebuilding an engine i have not done before...
i know i will need an FSM since ALLDATA(or nodata) or prodemand(actually ive yet to check but my guess is same) do not have procedures...

anybody got any input? i just want a simple yeah dude tackle it or idk man it could be tricky, i mean if you wanna talk story we can too i just have no patience for sarcastic answers lmao

No different than any other inline 6 before the 90s. It's a very straight-forward, simple engine. Fuel injection adds complexity and some additional sleuthing/replacement as needed. Probably one of the simplest engines aside from a 2F or earlier chevy/dodge/ford I6. If you're a young mechanic by trade and actually spin wrenches with some competency, asking the forum for the proverbial green light begs to question your capability/confidence (not cause for argument, just stating a fact). Yes it can be done, it's done by many people, but you and your skills are the unknown as well as the tools at your disposal tools and cause for rebuild. The FSM tells you everything you'd ever need to know on rebuilding these motors. Get a manual, read it, analyze it against your comfort zone.

Rebuilding an engine is not a simple task and your skills are unknown, so this could become a mess very quickly. This will become an expensive endeavor if you aren't focused and patient. Everyone can do it, not everyone can do it right.

Having said all that - sack up and do it. You'll learn what to do and not to do very quickly and what you're capable of.

No different than any other inline 6 before the 90s. It's a very straight-forward, simple engine. Fuel injection adds complexity and some additional sleuthing/replacement as needed. Probably one of the simplest engines aside from a 2F or earlier chevy/dodge/ford I6. If you're a young mechanic by trade and actually spin wrenches with some competency, asking the forum for the proverbial green light begs to question your capability/confidence (not cause for argument, just stating a fact). Yes it can be done, it's done by many people, but you and your skills are the unknown as well as the tools at your disposal tools and cause for rebuild. The FSM tells you everything you'd ever need to know on rebuilding these motors. Get a manual, read it, analyze it against your comfort zone.

Rebuilding an engine is not a simple task and your skills are unknown, so this could become a mess very quickly. This will become an expensive endeavor if you aren't focused and patient. Everyone can do it, not everyone can do it right.

Having said all that - sack up and do it. You'll learn what to do and not to do very quickly and what you're capable of.
like i stated captain obvious IVE NEVER REBUILT AN ENGINE, so its obvious that im curious, not scared nor incapable.

3fe? Ha. No clue. Bring it to the nearest Toyota service center. They’ll get it done rite.

I fully rebuilt my 60. No experience. Only mud and the books. It runs... tho it’s leaking oil and I’m coming to grips about having to take the front end off again to fix it... but it does run. And only months ago the engine and drivetrain were in pieces in my garage. And I’m just a chick. You can do it. Amazing experience.

like i stated captain obvious IVE NEVER REBUILT AN ENGINE, so its obvious that im curious, not scared nor incapable.

Leave the immaturity at home, we're about the same age. I'm giving you a very straight answer, most people I speak to either will say yes I will rebuild it or no I don't trust myself, not leave it up for debate on a public forum. Figure out which one you are, the engine is nuts and bolts, however a machinist will be your guiding force.

My recommendation is to do it and learn, just take your time and leave the alcohol in the fridge while you work.

Dude, chill, you'll need to lose the attitude if you want to make this site work, and in return you'll get the best advice available anywhere on your truck.

i wasnt trying to showcase any attitude i just replied with smart assery to smart assery.
anyway, fsm are all pdf forms now adays?

I fully rebuilt my 60. No experience. Only mud and the books. It runs... tho it’s leaking oil and I’m coming to grips about having to take the front end off again to fix it... but it does run. And only months ago the engine and drivetrain were in pieces in my garage. And I’m just a chick. You can do it. Amazing experience.
Thank you

Rebuild has many meanings. On one level its a bunch of disassembly, some measuring, parts replacement, and reassembly....and all quite well spelled out by toyota service manuals. Parts can and will add up in cost. On another level its what I just said with a bunch of machine shop work and a lot more cost. A 6 rebuild could set you back $2k to $6k depending on a lot of factors.

A few baselining questions:

Are you sure your 3F needs a rebuild and can be rebuilt (no holes in the block or wiped out cranks/cams)?
You're in Hawaii - is there a competent machine shop you've talked to? You don't want a place that has never seen one of these...or a similar Chevy/Ford straight 6.

Assuming disassembly/inspection go OK, take head/crank to a machine shop for milling, valve seat grinding & rebalance. Maybe intake/exhaust port & polish if you're feeling spendy. Everything else you can do yourself. Use quality parts and a good torque wrench and put it back together. Take notes, pictures along the way and label EVERYTHING. You probably already know this.

Don't swap connecting rod caps around or install the head gasket backwards. Based on my personal experience these are things you shouldn't do, and ties into the previous advice that you lay off beers & bongs while working.

A few baselining questions:

Are you sure your 3F needs a rebuild and can be rebuilt (no holes in the block or wiped out cranks/cams)?
You're in Hawaii - is there a competent machine shop you've talked to? You don't want a place that has never seen one of these...or a similar Chevy/Ford straight 6.
ok well to answer that question, im not sure wether it NEEDS a rebuild or not, i found these guys sitting in a storage yard rotting away and i picked an 88 and an 89 up for 500 each
fast forward to me pulling the waterpump on the 88 due to it being seized(which is mine the 89 i sold almost immediately after throwing a fuel pump and filter in set the timing and go) but found what to me looks like block sealer (aka headgasket in a bottle), so i guess my question should be whats my next step? thought about a pressure flush, however i am not sure if it will clear it all, and if it doesnt wouldnt i need a new block anyways?

theres one machine shop we like to use but i have not contacted them with my issues yet

If you can cobble up a flywheel, bell housing, and starter, you could do a cold compression test, first dry and then wet. The presence of cooling system goop may just indicate the PO's attempt at fixing a leaky radiator, but if it's truly 'head gasket in a bottle' then that is more ominous.

If they were stored poorly outside, then maybe pull the spark plugs and valve cover to check for internal rust before go much further. You could always pull the heads(s) and oil pans and thoroughly review what's going on inside the engines and then reassemble with a new gaskets, if all looks good inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom