1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple options to reduce for higher speeds?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Romer, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

I have a 77 Cruiser with a stock engine and tranny. When I get over 50 MPH the reps on the engine are loud. I expected that for a Land Cruiser. I have seen options to change out the tranny. Are there simplier and less expensive options that would give me a little bit. It's hard to afford all the "I wants" at one time.

I just want to be able to drive it on the highway without worrying if the engine will blow. I did that in a 73 cruiser about 20 years ago.

I heard bigger tires will help, but I don't want to make it more dangerous on ice.

Thanks

2. Mike S

Mike S

I plan on going with the 5 speed H55F tranny and taller tires. Even in my 60 it's SLOW.

Had a 71 FJ40 and drove the snot out of it for 150k miles - a lot of it at top speed. I do NOT reccomend this option. Replaced Tcase and eventually the head. Overdrive is called for here, I think.

Mike S

3. hammerhead

hammerhead

Tall tires = Poor mans overdrive
    I run 35s and don't think the larger diameter is a handicap in the snow and ice. I'm a snowmobiler and pull a trailer full of sleds with a 40. No problem.

4. godzilla

godzilla

I agree with hammerhead, put bigger tires on. You'd be amazed at what a 31" tire can do for your top end. And that is a modest increase in tire size.

5. thorvald

thorvald .......

Media:
    Albums:
    bigger tires, just make sure your brakes are in good order. check all the wheel cylinders for leaks, etc.

6. DanKunz

DanKunz SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Go slower...they were never intended to get over 65 to begin with! :D

7. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    31x10.5 or 33x10.5 Both available in a BFG All Terrain for snow use (I run a 33x10.5 MT tho on my daily driver pickup with no complaints - Wisconsin)

Keeping the tread narrower will help with road/winter driving.

Unfortunately, the OD does nothing for your t-case, it only reduces your engine speeds.

Another option would be installing 3.70 gears to replace the 4.11's in there now....might even get lucky and find a 79+ owner interested in swapping.