Simple options to reduce for higher speeds? (1 Viewer)

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
I have a 77 Cruiser with a stock engine and tranny. When I get over 50 MPH the reps on the engine are loud. I expected that for a Land Cruiser. I have seen options to change out the tranny. Are there simplier and less expensive options that would give me a little bit. It's hard to afford all the "I wants" at one time.

I just want to be able to drive it on the highway without worrying if the engine will blow. I did that in a 73 cruiser about 20 years ago.

I heard bigger tires will help, but I don't want to make it more dangerous on ice.

Thanks

I plan on going with the 5 speed H55F tranny and taller tires. Even in my 60 it's SLOW.

Had a 71 FJ40 and drove the snot out of it for 150k miles - a lot of it at top speed. I do NOT reccomend this option. Replaced Tcase and eventually the head. Overdrive is called for here, I think.

Mike S

Tall tires = Poor mans overdrive
I run 35s and don't think the larger diameter is a handicap in the snow and ice. I'm a snowmobiler and pull a trailer full of sleds with a 40. No problem.

I agree with hammerhead, put bigger tires on. You'd be amazed at what a 31" tire can do for your top end. And that is a modest increase in tire size.

woody

Staff member
Admin
31x10.5 or 33x10.5 Both available in a BFG All Terrain for snow use (I run a 33x10.5 MT tho on my daily driver pickup with no complaints - Wisconsin)

Keeping the tread narrower will help with road/winter driving.

Unfortunately, the OD does nothing for your t-case, it only reduces your engine speeds.

Another option would be installing 3.70 gears to replace the 4.11's in there now....might even get lucky and find a 79+ owner interested in swapping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom