Silver Back Lives on (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is brand X vs city racer hardtop rubber. Per above the racer rubber is molded with corners and holes punched in. Also softer rubber. Way better to work with than other guys. Notice you just get a long straight strip of “garage door” seal. No hole in it and only cutouts in corners that are where you have to fight to bend it correctly. My two cents don’t bother it is a pita. Buy the racer aftermarket one you’ll be happier

62DC0640-3A9D-488C-BB8B-34EE8F4B5619.jpeg

Doors on now. Had to slot the upper mount brackets to bring the door hinges out as mention earlier in thread. This actually helped when putting on the upper brackets. I could start two of the bolts first ti align the nut plate. Then slide on bracket to slip yndwr bolts. This way i did not have to try and align the bolts to the nut plate thru the door hinge plate. Seemed easier.

B2E3515B-DF13-45D9-9A0D-C9EA9EA7E43F.jpeg

4C24FCE7-B29B-4570-B4F1-93ABBF97707B.jpeg

8BAB6D28-312C-4DDC-B4E9-617559C5E879.jpeg

And when i say it seemed easier.... i really mean i still had to watch The Karate Kid saga three times first to find my Mr. Miyagi "balance" to get all the bolts in and tightened. If you have big hands forget it, get your kids to help. I am hoping that this will is where those plates will never have to be messed with again! Also please excuse my poor spelling above thread, entering from cell phone and fat fingered it.

So glad to see this in OH. Looking forward to seeing this rig in person.
We got a good thing going in Akron right now, i am really looking forward to seeing your beautiful rig as well! Hoping Summit Racing starts up its Coffee and Cars again.

Took the 40 on a long highway drive i Wanted to check out road noise and if any hardtop rattles i also replaced the radiator as it was leaking a little and wanted to see if it stayed cool as i now have a big condenser in front of it blocking air flow Made a trip to mentor headlands on lake Erie

13096FFD-556C-41BE-8D11-46E6382ADF80.jpeg

FABDFBFD-C7F2-4F26-90A1-B48EDAB9159C.jpeg

Very nice! Heading in that direction eventually. What size tires and how much lift is that? Here’s my 74

View attachment 2440156
Thank you Tires are 35 x12.5 R15 you can see that from the photosin the earlier part of the thread but the Rims are Wheel Vintiques 12-580604 - 15 inch 12 Series Smoothie Wheels (Summit Racing PN WVI-12-580604)
i would say with the spring over axle, the lift is about 5-6 inches

Thank you for sharing!
Just when I was starting to reaccept my beadlocks, I may have to rethink again.

Yes but even simpler than that it is just a hubcap within an hubcap. I found a smoothie hub cap that the dimensions fit into (close to) that of the ID of the factory hubcap. Let me load more pics and you will see how easy it was. Just have to weld the one hubcap in flat and concentric to the Toyota hubcap..... but they kind of self align so fairly easy. I think i need to POR15 the back of the hub cap as i ground off some of the plating when i ground down the welds. The geometry of the smoothie wheel will not be a "flush mount" to the hubcap as they are different diameters. However , to me it doesn't really make that much difference, you can't tell unless your right up on it. Only downside i see is that it will allow a rock to get wedged between the hubcap and wheel. Your 16" rim will use the same hubcap. as it shares a common center rim geometry as the 15". 17" and 18" smoothie uses different configuration hubcap i did that research as well and found one that will work on those as well. I fortunately live close to summit racing so i played around and found the ones that work.

Reactions: RTP
OK officially wrapping up topic # 1 -the finishing of the hardtop and doors. My process and progress: I am Happy with it and not much of anything else to do.
Below is a list of things i would have done different / lessons learned
a) I might have done more body work on the rivet dimples to make the hardtop side look better......maybe....
b) Remove all bed-liner so is not interfering with clearances for mounting point for door latches and adjustments, etc. First before even messing with fitment
c) Would have chosen linex bed-liner over the "popcorn ceiling look" for hardtop
d) Need to make spacers to replace painted washers to space out rear bumper
e) City racer or OEM rubber seals right from the get go.

Going to be moving on to Topic #2
2) Vintage AC install Heating and cooling debug/ solutions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom