Side Plate Gasket Leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

X2 check oil galley or gallery how ever it is worded check it asp!
That's also a big'n. Had mine blow very close to home about 13-14 years ago. Fixed it on the spot (there but for the grace of God, I had been planning to do it within the next few weeks so already had the supplies) and haven't had a problem there ever since.

@LCnAZ I'm very leery about using a pressure washer on my engine unless you can dial it WAY back and keep all electrical components protected. I like the idea of wetting it down with diluted Dawn though before any cleaning, and I've been looking for a decent steam cleaner I can really get in there with. I need to do some preventative maintenance and it'd be nice to get the bulk of the nasty stuff cleaned up first.

Last edited:
That's also a big'n. Had mine blow very close to home about 13-14 years ago. Fixed it on the spot (there but for the grace of God, I had been planning to do it within the next few weeks so already had the supplies) and haven't had a problem there ever since.

@LCnAZ I'm very leery about using a pressure washer on my engine unless you can dial it WAY back and keep all electrical components protected. I like the idea of wetting it down with diluted Dawn though before any cleaning, and I've been looking for a decent steam cleaner I can really get in there with. I need to do some preventative maintenance and it'd be nice to get the bulk of the nasty stuff cleaned up first.
Got $50,000 for the equipment???

Got $50,000 for the equipment???

Saw a demonstration of a similar machine while I worked at Honeywell in 2014. Was definitely awesome, but holy schnikes is it expensive.

It can be a ticking time bomb. Loose the plug, loose oil, loose the engine.

Oil Galley Plug Opinions Needed - 2 FJ62s - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/oil-galley-plug-opinions-needed-2-fj62s.1192772/ Post #3 by @tmxmotorsports has a clear photo of its location on the head. Lot's of threads on this.
Thank you. Found it. It looks quite secure and dry. I've never heard of this one, and certainly not that it can "blow" without warning. Is it threaded...or what? I saw where @tmxmotorsports used a "plug" of JB Weld. Is that the approved replacement plug, or just for an emergency?

I am too. This was easily controllable, though. I used a 25 degree tip, and could insert it past everything to get to the side of the block below the push rod cover. Also brief.

I saw where @tmxmotorsports used a "plug" of JB Weld. Is that the approved replacement plug, or just for an emergency?

That's a temporary fix. Pull the old plug, drill/tap/install new plug with sealant. It's not that much work and feels good when you're done. Search for 'oil galley plug' and you'll find a number of threads on the topic.

I saw where @tmxmotorsports used a "plug" of JB Weld. Is that the approved replacement plug, or just for an emergency?

That's a temporary fix. Pull the old plug, drill/tap/install new plug with sealant. It's not that much work and feels good when you're done. Search for 'oil galley plug' and you'll find a number of threads on the topic.
I didn't use jb weld i used a 1/16 npt stainless steel plug with some red lock tight on the plug

Thank you. Found it. It looks quite secure and dry. I've never heard of this one, and certainly not that it can "blow" without warning. Is it threaded...or what? I saw where @tmxmotorsports used a "plug" of JB Weld. Is that the approved replacement plug, or just for an emergency?
See post above no jb weld was used by me must have me mistaken for some one elae

From thread @Godwin shared link of how I did it no jb weld on my fix.
Tommy

Screenshot_20210902-170839.png

Screenshot_20210902-170845.png

It looks like the kind of fix that is not easily done unless the engine is pulled. Looks plenty tough to get to otherwise.
I didn't use jb weld i used a 1/16 npt stainless steel plug with some red lock tight on the plug
I'm sure I mixed you up with another.

Is this something that needs to be done once the vehicle gets older just to pre-empt a disaster? Or does it give you a bit of warning if you are keeping and eye on it?

It looks like the kind of fix that is not easily done unless the engine is pulled. Looks plenty tough to get to otherwise.

I'm sure I mixed you up with another.

Is this something that needs to be done once the vehicle gets older just to pre-empt a disaster? Or does it give you a bit of warning if you are keeping and eye on it?
It will be fine until it’s not. And then you’ll have a matter of seconds to get the engine stopped lest you spew your oil all over the highway and lock your engine up forever.

I borrowed a right angle drill to drill the hole, and the total job took me 1.5 hours. Not a difficult job. When you see the lame piece of wadded up foil that Toyota jammed in the hole, you will/should be suitably appalled and glad you did it. Truly a ticking time bomb.

more like unexploded ordinance. Maybe it'll go off or maybe it never will. But when it does, there's going to be carnage. Some gallery plugs outlast the engine (and some obviously don't). My 2F head had its original plug still tight at 290,000 miles. I was a lucky one. I fixed a guy's leaking plug 25 years ago when his 2F only had 60K on it — so you never know and there's no guarantee.

more like unexploded ordinance. Maybe it'll go off or maybe it never will. But when it does, there's going to be carnage. Some gallery plugs outlast the engine (and some obviously don't). My 2F head had its original plug still tight at 290,000 miles. I was a lucky one. I fixed a guy's leaking plug 25 years ago when his 2F only had 60K on it — so you never know and there's no guarantee.
Seems the threaded approach is a good one so that there cannot be a catastrophic sudden failure.

Seems the threaded approach is a good one so that there cannot be a catastrophic sudden failure.
This is beyond my wrenching capabilities, but I've linked the plug thread to my guy who does the things I can't so he can research and prepare. They've done tons of maintenance and selective restoration work for me on the LC, including the knuckles via kit I provided, so I don't think that they'll find this too much challenge.

This is beyond my wrenching capabilities, but I've linked the plug thread to my guy who does the things I can't so he can research and prepare. They've done tons of maintenance and selective restoration work for me on the LC, including the knuckles via kit I provided, so I don't think that they'll find this too much challenge.
It’s pretty straight forward, really.

Had to laugh at how accurate that analogy is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom