Sick dog ~ 24v question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tauranga New Zealand via Vancouver Island Canada
Yo...5am, been up for 3 hours with a puking Aussie...times like this you might as well have kids....

In any case, surfing the web looking for a solution to my stereo issues. I have a Pioneer CD deck powered 12v from a 24-12 convertor running into the factory 3" speakers...I think it qualifies as the worst audio system ever :crybaby: . I want to mount 6" door speakers and a hidden sub in the back. I don't think I have enough juice from my convertor to drive the secondary amp I'll need, so I was wondering if anyone knew of a source for 24v stereo equipment other than that found in tractors?

Hooking up another convertor is a very undesireable option.

moose_sv1000s said:
Yo...5am, been up for 3 hours with a puking Aussie...times like this you might as well have kids....

In any case, surfing the web looking for a solution to my stereo issues. I have a Pioneer CD deck powered 12v from a 24-12 convertor running into the factory 3" speakers...I think it qualifies as the worst audio system ever :crybaby: . I want to mount 6" door speakers and a hidden sub in the back. I don't think I have enough juice from my convertor to drive the secondary amp I'll need, so I was wondering if anyone knew of a source for 24v stereo equipment other than that found in tractors?

Hooking up another convertor is a very undesireable option.

WTF is a puking aussie:D??

Heres my suggestion. Replace the 3" speakers with some quality ones out of a BMW or Merc of the same year.:cool:
Fit some 6" in the rear trim panels.
Last time I looked I didnt think there was enough room for 6" in the door trim.

Whats wrong with the tractor stuff?Seen some pretty good stereos in combine harvesters:D:D

roscoFJ73 said:
WTF is a puking aussie:D??

index.jpg

...only hurling digested kibble everywhere...

My concern is that driving any additional speakers (and certainly a sub) will pull too many amps and blow the fuse on my convertor. I think it will produce only 10amps max.

that is a good looking pet there moose, hope it isn't anything serious...
Billie, just before he got diagnossed with a tumour was doing the same thing... he would eat then a few minutes later puke it all back up...

Oye...we adopted her from friends who returned to Melbourne Aus, and the dad is back in Canada for a week or two working. As we were going to Whistler for a wedding, he offered to look after her this past weekend. I'm going to call him to see what she might have gotten into at the place he's staying at while in town...it sure seems like she ate something bad (antifreeze?).

She's drinking water, which is the only thing keeping her from the hospital.

do a search on antifreeze and dogs. if not taken to a vet with in a 1/2 hour the poisening is terminal...
i doubt it would be antifreeze, at least i surely hope not. the death is long and painful...
hopefully it was just some unagreeable food product...

Looks like there is only a touch of cattle dog there, where did the long hair and floppy ears come from.They are really hard dogs, he should be ok.Hope so anyway.Can you check the power ratings on the convertor and post it. Will ask my son tomorrow, he is a electrician also doing air con/refrigeration he does a lot of car instillations for blokes he knows on the weekends.Head units/splits and multi subs somtimes using capacitors. What size amp do you want to run. Can you name the brand ,number of channels etc. Do you intend to run a sub?cheers

bigbrowndog said:
Looks like there is only a touch of cattle dog there, where did the long hair and floppy ears come from.They are really hard dogs, he should be ok.Hope so anyway.Can you check the power ratings on the convertor and post it. Will ask my son tomorrow, he is a electrician also doing air con/refrigeration he does a lot of car instillations for blokes he knows on the weekends.Head units/splits and multi subs somtimes using capacitors. What size amp do you want to run. Can you name the brand ,number of channels etc. Do you intend to run a sub?cheers

Good Lord man, she's a pure bred Australian Shepard...Cattle Dog indeed! :ban:

My convertor produces peak 10amp, 7amp continuous. I want to run my CD head unit (40 watt) into two 6x9 speakers and a sub-woofer. I think this will overwhelm the convertor, so I thought I would simply slave the head unit into a 24volt amplifier on a separate (obviously) circuit and then into the speakers....thereby bypassing the need for more 12 volt power.

I have 6.5" Pioneer 2-way speakers installed in my front doors. The location is above and on the forward edge of the map pockets. As long as you don't have power windows (the motors sit there), there is a large square hole behind the panel that will barely accomodate this size of speaker. Come to think of it, 5.25" speakers would probably fit better, and sound as good.

There are a couple of ways that you could gain enough power, both of which has been discussed extensively before. You can either get a Solar Converter, like the ones G&S sells, and hook it up in load balance mode; or pick up a large enough step-down converter, like ones made by ICT in Langley. Either units will cost you about the same money...the Solar Converter having an advantage of being able to balance your batteries.

I have been running an Alpine 5 channel amplifier powering two 6.5" and two 6x9 Pioneer speakers and one 10" Phoenix Gold sub for a few months now. The voltages of my batteries haven't changed since the day I bought them in December 2003. My amplifier draws about 35A on peak, head unit another 10A, well over the maximum current of the Solar Converter. But in Load Balance mode, you temporarily draw the excess current of the low side battery and the Solar Converter lets it catch up when the load is less than the maximum output of the Solar Converter.

Doing this may be fine with most rigs...but it's certainly not something that you would want to do in an expedition rig where your safety depends on the reliability of your battery bank starting your truck. Drawing large 12v loads in an expedition rig should probably be done with an isolated 12v battery as suggested by others in previous discussions.

Hope your dog's doing okay. :)

:eek: Hey Moose, My appologies there man, have never heard of an Australian Shepard, I saw it once before and thought it was what North America called a Blue Heeler.Sort of like Hawian Nuts which are our Bauple or Macadamier Nuts, nuting to do with Hawai.I see the 2x80 watt Sony amp I have in my cruiser is ///power supply voltage10.5 to16 volts with a current drain of 20a @4ohms.Will show it to Matt, think only old Nissan Patrols here had 24 volts. :)

Moose, you could always swap out your converter with one that will produce greater continuous amps. Try one that will put out 20Amps. The bigger you go, the more heat you deal with; however, the higher quality unit you buy, the better they are designed to deal with it. You may end up having to find a new mounting location. Good luck. And with your pup as well.

Moose, sorry to hear bout the pooch... hate seeing sick aminals ;) If you are heading into town this w/e to see the tall ships, drop by for a Java and some crusher gab! :beer:

dieseldog said:
Moose, you could always swap out your converter with one that will produce greater continuous amps. Try one that will put out 20Amps. The bigger you go, the more heat you deal with; however, the higher quality unit you buy, the better they are designed to deal with it. You may end up having to find a new mounting location. Good luck. And with your pup as well.

Thanks, I may have to do just that as 24v amps are a no-go. I may forgoe the subwoofer for now and just add speakers in the doors...undecided.

Red Herring said:
Moose, sorry to hear bout the pooch... hate seeing sick aminals ;) If you are heading into town this w/e to see the tall ships, drop by for a Java and some crusher gab! :beer:

(sigh)...you're not kidding...she looks at me like I'm doing it to her....

Re: the tall ships, may just do that on Saturday, will PM you if I do.

Wow, talk about going down fast...doggie's in the hospital, just got preogressively worse ove the past 4 hours. She can't stand up, hold anything down, including water now...they're going to put her on an IV drip and do some blood work...God I feel like a bad parent...

i am extremely sad to hear this. i know the pain you are going through having watched Billie in his time of trouble. my heart goes out to you, your family and to Aussi. May he have a speedy recovery.

Stone said:
I have 6.5" Pioneer 2-way speakers installed in my front doors. The location is above and on the forward edge of the map pockets. As long as you don't have power windows (the motors sit there), there is a large square hole behind the panel that will barely accomodate this size of speaker.

Not only do I not have power windows...I don't have map pockets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom