Show us your Android/GPS install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day guys.
I am looking for ideas to install a new Stereo with GPS.
I have not bought anything, but do have a few bits lying around.

I am trying to decide on whether to somehow mount a Tablet and small amp unit (which I already have), or go for some sort of android head unit.

What have you done that includes your music and navigation needs in a permanently mounted solution?

I had thought about mounting the Tablet in some sort of roof mounted unit, and concealing the wiring down into the dash, but where to mount it without it being right in my face.....

One thing that MUST be taken into account, is that I live in Western Australia, and our summers are HOT - so it can't just sit on top of the dash - it will absolutely cook in summer.

So, Throw up a pic and a short explanation of your install, and what are the good points and bad points of it.

Any ideas, tips, pointers, dreams, silly thoughts, etc welcome.

Thanks,
Dave.

I am surprised that this is not gathering any posts at all.
Given that there are more than a few 60's here being daily driven, I would have thought that sound upgrades would have happened, and it makes sense to me to combine navigation and music in one unit.

I would have at least expected a few people to chime in with "Isn't the sound of the 60 enough?" or "Real men just know where they are going!" :rofl:

Give it more time I guess - someone here MUST have done something like this. :cool:

I mounted an android unit with a fold out screen. It included an external gps that i ran onto the dash. So far I have really liked it.

AB1A13DA-C004-4AA1-868E-4D8EE8241969.jpeg

Looks neat too.
What brand is that? The GPS works fine yeah?

I had looked at that style, so good to hear someone happy with that option.
No cutting and forming shielding over something that might end up looking out of place.
Thanks.

It’s a yody 9inch. They sell a 10 inch model now. I have been pretty happy with it. It also came with a back up camera which is really handy. The gps seems pretty spot on so far in traffic but I haven’t tested it out in the wild.

I've decided to keep it simple. I put a Pioneer bluetooth unit and use my android phone. I have a digital speedometer HUD app, and View Ranger app. I can download maps of the areas that don't have coverage. It logs my speed, elevation, and track.

I've decided to keep it simple. I put a Pioneer bluetooth unit and use my android phone. I have a digital speedometer HUD app, and View Ranger app. I can download maps of the areas that don't have coverage. It logs my speed, elevation, and track.

On the HUD, does it work well with such a steep windshield?

On the HUD, does it work well with such a steep windshield?
It works fine but I rarely use it. I find any reflection off the windshield annoying. As I get older, glare is getting harder and harder to cope with. Driving at night, I've asked my passengers to not look at their phones because the light off their screens in my peripheral distracting.

In my 80, I have a 10" Samsung tablet on a gooseneck mount. It works well for me. Tablet has 512GB card, so plenty of space for things like offline maps, reference books (first aid, FSM in PDF, survival guide, etc.), music, movies, etc. I find it so much more useful than a phone or built in stereo. And being able to remove it from the vehicle is also a big plus. Plus, these old eyes really appreciate the larger screen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom