Show me photos on how you carry extra gas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to figure out what's a good way to carry extra gasoline and would like to see your setup. If you have them, post photos on how you carry extra gasoline. Also, post details of your setup like amount of extra gasoline in gallons.

Last edited:
Metal Tech fuel carriers bolted to brackets on the tongue and through the box (steel and aluminum, so bolt not weld):
22859876_10155110498218123_6062650600974535146_o.jpg

Getting this thing installed soon too LRA tank with 33gallons aux (with gauge, switch, and xfer pump):
24174666_10212798062964838_299628703983694891_n.jpg

@DanKunz Wow, now that's carrying extra gas! You went all out...

I found some photos online, but they are more simplistic and possibly dangerous (gas cans may be too low in case of a rear collision)...
ExtraGas11.jpg

ExtraGas12.JPG

I like the look of the gas cans on the ladder of this Pathfinder, but wondering if those are the small 1 gallon rotopax which seem too small.

@GXLee did you not center the rotopax gas cans on purpose, so the license is visible? What size rotopax are those you are carrying? I'm liking the idea of carrying the gas cans on the ladder. Maybe just carry 5 to 8 gallons on two rotopax centered on the Gobi ladder.

ExtraGas16.png

ExtraGas17.JPG

I like the look of the gas cans on the ladder of this Pathfinder, but wondering if those are the small 1 gallon rotopax which seem too small.

@GXLee did you not center the rotopax gas cans on purpose, so the license is visible? What size rotopax are those you are carrying? I'm liking the idea of carrying the gas cans on the ladder. Maybe just carry 5 to 8 gallons on two rotopax centered on the Gobi ladder.

View attachment 1594017

View attachment 1594018
They’re not centered because I had also added the additional steps on the ladder so it was still useful. The red one is actually the Fuelpax and holds 4 gallons I think? I’ve made some changes to my setup and now run a 5 gallon scepter can for fuel and one for water.

173FE2BA-0B6B-40A4-B48B-EF60F71193E3.jpeg

@GXLee were there any drawbacks to carrying the fuel on the Gobi ladder? And did you sell the Gobi ladder? I'm thinking of getting a Gobi ladder just for the purpose of carrying extra 5-7 gallons of gasoline is my best option. I don't want to add a roof rack nor a rear bumper. Let me know your thoughts.

@GXLee were there any drawbacks to carrying the fuel on the Gobi ladder? And did you sell the Gobi ladder? I'm thinking of getting a Gobi ladder just for the purpose of carrying extra 5-7 gallons of gasoline is my best option. I don't want to add a roof rack nor a rear bumper. Let me know your thoughts.
The only drawback I had was I could tell that the rear door wasn’t exactly lined up with all that weight. It still closed fine, but it did have a very slight sag for sure. I did sell the ladder and the Fuelpax when I got the rear bumper. For awhile I carried fuel in the spare tire location after mounting a rotopax lock under there. Can’t find a pic but it worked fine too.

Yeah, I was worried about the weight on such a wide door. Maybe one way to mitigate the weight issue is to fill up the gas containers late and use them as quickly as possible to top off instead of waiting until empty.

Yeah, I was worried about the weight on such a wide door. Maybe one way to mitigate the weight issue is to fill up the gas containers late and use them as quickly as possible to top off instead of waiting until empty.
Yes that’s a good idea. Empty they’re not a problem at all

generally speaking it is more efficient to top off as you go so you add the weight lower than COG, and it makes quick fill ups easier if your tank is already full and you are just filling cans. Also keeps the gas fresher as opposed to storing it in the cans too long and having bad gas after a year, etc.

Those are great points. I wasn’t thinking in terms of fresh gas and COG. I just didn’t want to hang weight on the ladder for so long.

When there's a will, there's always a way! This guy figured out how to carry extra gas the easy way.

ExtraGas01.jpg

I'm reviving this thread because I just ordered the Gobi ladder and I'm trying to figure out how to carry 5 gallons or more of fuel on the ladder. The Rotopax and Fuelpax only carry up to 3 or 3.5 gallons and the super tall 4 gallon container looks too tall. Also, buying two of these containers and the associated attachments adds up.

So, anyone carrying the normal single 5 gallon specter gas container on a ladder? On what attachments?

Or is the fuelpax/rotopax my best option? Any help and photos appreciated.

Is that a 5 gallon tank? LOL

I guess I should have clarified that when I said 5 gallons or more...I was thinking up to like 10 gallons...not 34 gallons.

Last edited:
That's the nice thing about having a rear bumper...you can load it up.

I think I found what I want to do. Someone named vanimalb on FJCruiserForums attached a Smittybuilt gas carrier on a Gobi ladder to carry a metal Specter 5 gallon gas container. I'm gonna try to copy that...not sure how safe it is, but that's what I need to research.

If anyone knows how to contact him, let me know. I want to know how it's working out in the dirt rocky roads.

This is what he posted ...

"If you have a ladder on the back of your rig, and don't really use it, I was able to bolt a Smittybuilt can holder onto my Gobi ladder. $36 for the can holder thru Amazon, $13 for the Scepter 5.5 gallon tank at Costco, less than $10 in stainless U-bolts from Home Depot and I'm all set. The holder fits both the Scepter or a 6 gallon Igloo water jug so I put back there what I need for any specific outing."

GasContainers_02.jpg
GasContainers_03.jpg
GasContainers_04.jpg
GasContainers_05.jpg

I just wrote to the guys at ACC about the rear window gas carrier seen on the rear tire carrier thread. Dugan replied that they are making that, fab guy is currently making the aluminum mold. Body is going to be Kevlar and will have a carbon fiber door and will go on the drivers side. I think I’m going to wait for that, I like how it uses “unused” space.....

Ah...that sounds like an awesome solution. Too bad I ordered the Gobi ladder already.

Depending on price, I might upgrade to this window solution.

Here's the photo from that other thread for illustration purposes.

GasContainers_06.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom