Show me photos on how you carry extra gas (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They aren’t epa approved so I don’t know how much trouble you can get into in Cali or in general. You can also find them used for $50-60

Yeah, I want the metal jerry can. I also want a sturdy jerry can holder. I like the idea from the FJ Cruiser photos, but after further consideration...I don't like the plastic jerry can nor the Smittybuilt jerry can holder.

This carrier and jerry can look nice...

OEM Jerry Can Holder for Land Cruiser FJ40 FJ60 FZJ80 70 Series 100 Series (NOS)

OEM_Gas_01.jpeg
OEM_Gas_03.jpeg
OEM_Gas_04.jpeg
OEM_Gas_05.jpeg

Has anyone tried mounting Rotopax mounts directly to the rear door? Is there a downside to bolting them straight on? Too much weight?

The sheet metal will peel like an onion.

Can’t remember but someone had a boat tank on their roof. Actually thought that was a good idea as they are compact and very durable. Could siphon right to the tank without removing it from the roof.
I bought these but haven’t figured out how I’m going to mount them. They are roughly 3.6 gal. a piece.

980D59D4-EF74-4CD9-9ED0-038630EA0191.jpeg
7EE40E52-A42B-40F1-AA0F-E728AF92C60C.jpeg

Ah...that sounds like an awesome solution. Too bad I ordered the Gobi ladder already.

Depending on price, I might upgrade to this window solution.

Here's the photo from that other thread for illustration purposes.

View attachment 1946395
This is great, too bad it will cost $1,000,000.00 !!! 🤪

Upon further research,
@ADVFamilyHauler is right. The military scepter plastic tanks are the best. The US Army appears to have switched to these plastic Scepter military jerry cans. I’m not sure why military plastic jerry cans are better than metal ones, but I can only guess.

So, I’m back to square one with how to carry fuel off the Gobi ladder.

One option is just to go with the rotopax ladder brackets, rotopax ladder attachments and rotopax fuel cans. This option is spendy and only lets me carry two tall 4 gallon rotopax containers. Maybe close to $500 for this option not including the $250 for the Gobi ladder.

Another option is to get two military Specter fuel jerry cans 5 galllons each and then figure out how to mount them on the ladder. I haven’t identified a good bracket to attach to the ladder. Gas containers close to $200 for two and suitable brackets may need to be custom made, so price is unknown.

Last edited:
Upon further research,
@ADVFamilyHauler is right. The military scepter plastic tanks are the best. The US Army appears to have switched to these plastic Scepter military jerry cans. I’m not sure why military plastic jerry cans are better than metal ones, but I can only guess.

So, I’m back to square one with how to carry fuel off the Gobi ladder.

One option is just to go with the rotopax ladder brackets, rotopax ladder attachments and rotopax fuel cans. This option is spendy and only lets me carry two tall 4 gallon rotopax containers. Maybe close to $500 for this option not including the $250 for the Gobi ladder.

Another option is to get two military Specter fuel jerry cans 5 galllons each and then figure out how to mount them on the ladder. I haven’t identified a good bracket to attach to the ladder. Gas containers close to $200 for two and suitable brackets may need to be custom made, so price is unknown.
Everybody that I know who had rotopax and went to Sceptor military cans have said they will never go back to rotopax

Good to know.

Oh and anyone have Specter military gas jerry cans hanging off a Gobi ladder? I’m trying to figure out how to attach these puppies.

I spent 14 years in the Army and I've used Spectre cans in a lot of different terrains and environments. They are pretty tough!
Google "speedball resupply" and picture these things full of water being tossed from helicopters for resupply purposes in anywhere from 0 to 115* weather without issue.
My only gripe with them is their size. I like how flat rotopax cans are.
Beyond that, Spectre cans are great.

I would be hesitant to try and rig up 10 gallons of gas onto the Gobi ladder - two 5 gallon jerry cans will be around 70lbs when filled up. I don't doubt the ladder can support that weight (you want to climb up it after all!) but the stress from driving, especially rough driving off-road, might be too much for it over time. 5 gallons would hopefully be fine though, and you could probably bolt one of the military jerry can holders on the ladder without too much trouble.

Not sure if the 80 series has the same rear crossmember bolt pattern as our trucks, but this idea is pretty nifty:

I would be hesitant to try and rig up 10 gallons of gas onto the Gobi ladder - two 5 gallon jerry cans will be around 70lbs when filled up. I don't doubt the ladder can support that weight (you want to climb up it after all!) but the stress from driving, especially rough driving off-road, might be too much for it over time. 5 gallons would hopefully be fine though, and you could probably bolt one of the military jerry can holders on the ladder without too much trouble.

Not sure if the 80 series has the same rear crossmember bolt pattern as our trucks, but this idea is pretty nifty:
That is pretty sweet

I don't think the GX470 has that crossmember bolt pattern on the 80, but that's a very cool use of those 4 holes on the 80 and that's a very ingenious jerry can holder bracket.

I've been thinking the same that two 5-gallon military jerry cans might be too much for the ladder/door on the GX470. In terms of convenience, carrying extra fuel at that ladder location seems the best. Easiest place to access and to refill.

This is when the rear bumper starts to make sense for carrying extra gas and the appropriate size spare. I just don't want to go the rear bumper route. I'm semi-retired and on a budget again.

I don't think the GX470 has that crossmember bolt pattern on the 80, but that's a very cool use of those 4 holes on the 80 and that's a very ingenious jerry can holder bracket.

I've been thinking the same that two 5-gallon military jerry cans might be too much for the ladder/door on the GX470. In terms of convenience, carrying extra fuel at that ladder location seems the best. Easiest place to access and to refill.

This is when the rear bumper starts to make sense for carrying extra gas and the appropriate size spare. I just don't want to go the rear bumper route. I'm semi-retired and on a budget again.
Did you ever figure out your jerry can situation with the Gobi ladder? What did you do? If so, pics?

I have the Gobi ladder, but no innovative idea on how to hang a jerry can.

Hi all, my first post in a while. Homers it's not cheap, but the aux fuel tank in place of your spare tire is probably the best option in the long run. It's more convenient obviously, solves the issue of where do you put the gas, has more capacity than is practical to carry in fuel cans. You then need a place for your spare, but there are non-bumper options as you probably know, a la the Becky, the Wilco hitch products, or throwing it on top. The reality is that a rear bumper solves a lot of storage issues anyway. I can't even figure a good way to mount my propane tank on the exterior without a bumper. For now it gets put in a box on the roof - not convenient at all.

I’m trying to enjoy the rig as is without spending another $5k in upgrades.

I just need an extra 5 gals to hang on ladder. I just can’t find a strong gas holder for ladder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom