Show me how you’ve mounted your under hood electrical accessories (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FWIW SDHQ appears to have a decent, comparable terminal package available. I am curious if anyone has real world experience with that option? link below...

I’ll sell you mine if you want.
Any pointers on how you make those labeled sleeves for your wires. Those are great.
Labels are typed on paper and inserted into clear heat shrink, I purchased from Pegasus Racing the way have three sizes premarked with AWG range. 6" Clear-View Adhesive Lined Heat Shrink Tubing, 0.176" ID | Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies - https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=11416

Only drawback is that they are not flexible.

Thank you!

No accessories underbonnet, just twin lithiums. Blueseas power distrubution, 2000w invertor / 80a charger, 250a of solar, Compressor in rear wing

View attachment 2795896

Have you had any long term issues with these lithium batteries under the hood?

Ages ago, @TonyP had a similar setup with a refarc and a battleborn in a battery blanket.

Have you had any long term issues with these lithium batteries under the hood?

Ages ago, @TonyP had a similar setup with a refarc and a battleborn in a battery blanket.
Zero issues as they are designed for the application where others are just used in the application and lack the BMS design and cell quality

Concur with voodoo2 after about 3 months of use. Battleborn battery worked really well even during these really hot days a few weeks ago here in Denver. Basically decided to go with Slee mounts for everything. They already thought through the process and I got lucky they came out with their accessory mount right before I went into the full dual. I don’t run inverter so simple blue sea fuse box in back
69727F77-5611-4727-AF6A-24E1A204679F.jpeg

Concur with voodoo2 after about 3 months of use. Battleborn battery worked really well even during these really hot days a few weeks ago here in Denver. Basically decided to go with Slee mounts for everything. They already thought through the process and I got lucky they came out with their accessory mount right before I went into the full dual. I don’t run inverter so simple blue sea fuse box in back View attachment 3044865

Can you give me the details of this install? Which battle born fits this space. Is this the GC2 battery? It fits the SLEE accessory batt tray?

I’ve been looking for a 100ah+ LiFePO4 battery that fits this space.

I found a 120aH with a smaller foot print but it won’t fit the type35 foot print for the slee battey tray so I was about to make a custom one.

Can you give me the details of this install? Which battle born fits this space. Is this the GC2 battery? It fits the SLEE accessory batt tray?

I’ve been looking for a 100ah+ LiFePO4 battery that fits this space.

I found a 120aH with a smaller foot print but it won’t fit the type35 foot print for the slee battey tray so I was about to make a custom one.
Sure thing. It’s a Battleborn group 24. 75 amp hour on Slee secondary tray with red arc bracket. There was some tweaking to get it installed. Thankfully Slee did the work. I love this set up as it gives you 70 or do usable amp hours without taking up cargo space. Now you probably don’t want to run death valley in summer with this set up but for my use I have no desire to go to Death Valley in summer. Hit almost 100 deg in Denver few weeks back and I was in the sun all day and no issues.
E3E4A7F2-871C-4FCC-8343-3447B0CF47DF.png

Cool. Yeah their gc2 is 100 ah and can prob squeeze in that spot. But would need a custom tray. I found another company that makes one a little taller and has 120ah.

They all say they don’t recommend under hood but a lot of overlanders in Australia have been running various brands under their hood with little to no ill effects.

Good to know it works. May have to consider the 75 if I wanna avoid all the extra work for the others.

Cool. Yeah their gc2 is 100 ah and can prob squeeze in that spot. But would need a custom tray. I found another company that makes one a little taller and has 120ah.

They all say they don’t recommend under hood but a lot of overlanders in Australia have been running various brands under their hood with little to no ill effects.

Good to know it works. May have to consider the 75 if I wanna avoid all the extra work for the others.
Yeah when I see things run hard in Aussie I figure hat pretty much makes my use ok. That was what led me to just give it a go. Also Battleborn does a lot of testing and they have a great BMS. Pay a little more bit for this use I think worth it. For me 75 amp hour is perfect as I also have trailer with two group 35 AGM. I don’t run fridge in trailer and much prefer fridge is in the rig. So I can charge devices and batteries with trailer as well and have some redundancy.

Yeah. Maybe I’m being a bit greedy with the Ah. My patriot X3 has 2 gel batteries in it but I plan to upgrade those to Li in the future.

What's this battery fuse block?
They are individual fuse holders that can be joined. I believe they are the Bussman LMI. They have moulded clips to join them. Bus bars are available in various lengths to couple the input side. The first time I saw them was on an Eric Sargent/Ed Martin Toyota build. I've been eyeing them to refactor my build.

1656672801056.png

1656672757782.jpeg

Last edited:
When PowerTrays come out with the 200 specific version I'll switch out the slee tray and universal tray.

View attachment 3047080
Love those slee billet terminals and 3d printed cover!

Please consider putting a silicone boot over the 12v input to your switchpros. If you need a boot, let me know, I may have a spare.

Love those slee billet terminals and 3d printed cover!

Please consider putting a silicone boot over the 12v input to your switchpros. If you need a boot, let me know, I may have a spare.
Did you put the silicon boot from the SwitchPros cable? I haven't been able to get the boot off yet but haven't tried lubricants yet.

Did you put the silicon boot from the SwitchPros cable? I haven't been able to get the boot off yet but haven't tried lubricants yet.
I have an assortment of silicone boots in the shop, and I think I used one that is a tad larger. My wiring isn't as clean/organized as yours, but here's a picture.

DFBF6BC5-02BB-4C9C-80AA-B52D3750B149.jpeg

Reactions: NTV
I have an assortment of silicone boots in the shop, and I think I used one that is a tad larger. My wiring isn't as clean/organized as yours, but here's a picture.

View attachment 3047319
Charlie. Where did you get the rubber grommets for the slee accesory tray? To protect the wires when running them from the bottom through the tray?

Charlie. Where did you get the rubber grommets for the slee accesory tray? To protect the wires when running them from the bottom through the tray?
I didn't, but now that you mention that, is sounds like a great idea! I'll have to poke through the bins at my local hardware store to see what they have available. Thanks!

What's this battery fuse block?
These are also the foundation for the dual battery system upgrade that I will do at some point in Phase 2. I'll be using the fuses for:

Drivers
  • Switch-Pros - 125A
  • Front Power - 100A
  • Rear Power - 40A
  • Blank
  • SBI - 100A
  • Redarc - 60A
Passenger
  • SBI - 100A
  • Redarc - 60A

Each unit has a max of 400A which with the current plans I will never reach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom