Should the xfer output be painted? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, finishing up my xfer rebuild and cleaned up the rear xfer output flange to the driveshaft. It looked like it had a coat of black paint but as I cleaned it, it just pealed off. Will this end up rusting if I don’t paint or does it already have some kind of coating?

8CDE9EE9-C858-4999-BE0F-74D8D9956785.jpeg

You don’t need to paint it. It will rust eventually either way. If you want to paint it and have the time, go for it. Leave the sealing surface and the splines unpainted.

Looking closer, it kinda looks like like the flange is a bit toasty where the seal sits. If there’s a noticeable groove there you’re likely to get a leak. If that’s the case you can get replacements from cruiseroutfitters I believe. I’m eyeballing the same issue on mine. So far so good though.

Looking closer, it kinda looks like like the flange is a bit toasty where the seal sits. If there’s a noticeable groove there you’re likely to get a leak. If that’s the case you can get replacements from cruiseroutfitters I believe. I’m eyeballing the same issue on mine. So far so good though.
Good eye. Yeah, I ran my finger over it several times and can feel an slight groove . I might go ahead and order one. Don’t want to have to go back in later.

Good eye. Yeah, I ran my finger over it several times and can feel an slight groove . I might go ahead and order one. Don’t want to have to go back in later.
If I’d had the time and cash when I did mine and noticed it I would have sprung for new ones. Do it if you can.

If I’d had the time and cash when I did mine and noticed it I would have sprung for new ones. Do it if you can.
Yeah, I’m in so deep with this restonod no since not doing it. I didn’t see it in their website?

Yeah, I’m in so deep with this restonod no since not doing it. I didn’t see it in their website?
Call ‘em... Bruce will probably answer. Great folks.

I had a groove in the same spot, and it leaked and leaked no matter how many times I changed the seal...

I had a groove in the same spot, and it leaked and leaked no matter how many times I changed the seal...
Looking at mine closer last night I noticed a small leak from the flange seal as well.

Ordered, @cruiseroutfit for $62.50 👍
You may receive a flange that has been drilled out for universal LC drive shafts. Don’t be confused. Just turn it until the holes match up. Different year LC used different bolt patterns and they make a universal fit flange.

Good call

For those who also own an FJ40/45/55 with the one-piece transfer case, Georg @orangefj45 at Valley Hybrids offers a kit with a machined speedometer housing with double seals, Allen bolts for the parking brake drum, speedometer O-ring, and some other parts.

For those who also own an FJ40/45/55 with the one-piece transfer case, Georg @orangefj45 at Valley Hybrids offers a kit with a machined speedometer housing with double seals, Allen bolts for the parking brake drum, speedometer O-ring, and some other parts.

Thanks for the mention!

We also stock all the flanges, seals, stake nuts and all the other bits and pieces for the job at hand.
Happy to help!
Georg @ Valley Hybrids, Cruiser Brothers & Long Range America
Shop 209-475-8808
Sales@valleyhybrids.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom