Should I sell my crusty but fully updated 2001 cruiser for no rust 2007 lx 470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently own a 2001 land cruiser. The body and interior are very nice. There is no rust on body, but underneath is quite rusty as it was a Ohio car for 15 years. I am the second owner 153,000 miles. It is a non nav car. I baselines car when I bought it 5 years ago, new water pump/ timing belt etc. last year I had all new front upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends etc done. All new oem shocks as well. New heater t’s this spring as well as hoses. As you can see, I have made this into a nice riding And driving car. I now have a chance to get a rust free 2007 lx 470 that has a long service record and is a rust free Texas car with 160,000 miles for $17,000. I am going back and forth on selling and buying or keeping my rusty bottom but updated 2001. getting the 2007 gives me potential nav problems as well as abc problems. Would like to hear Opinions of what you think. Thanks

As much as I love the '06/'07 rigs, I think the best Cruiser is the one you have, you already know it's state of repair, it's quirks, and no more costs beyond what you choose to put into it. It feels like a "grass is greener" situation. Now, if you have always lusted after the later LX, in that case I say go ahead and pick up your dream rig if you're in a position to do so.

I currently own a 2001 land cruiser. The body and interior are very nice. There is no rust on body, but underneath is quite rusty as it was a Ohio car for 15 years. I am the second owner 153,000 miles. It is a non nav car. I baselines car when I bought it 5 years ago, new water pump/ timing belt etc. last year I had all new front upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends etc done. All new oem shocks as well. New heater t’s this spring as well as hoses. As you can see, I have made this into a nice riding And driving car. I now have a chance to get a rust free 2007 lx 470 that has a long service record and is a rust free Texas car with 160,000 miles for $17,000. I am going back and forth on selling and buying or keeping my rusty bottom but updated 2001. getting the 2007 gives me potential nav problems as well as abc problems. Would like to hear Opinions of what you think. Thanks
If you still live in the rust belt you’re just going to ruin the nicer rust free one eventually. But the rusty one you have is only going to progressively give you more problems or become unsafe to drive. Get the nice one and fluid film the chassis and keep it nice if you still live in the “danger zone” aka Midwest.

For 17 you’re looking at a super high mileage, worn out pos of a 200...

Meaning if spending 17k save a bit more for a 200... not sure how you understood there are 17k 200s, there are none.. nice lx570 start at 25k+ for 100k-150k miles that I've seen in California listings...

for example:

Last edited:
Meaning if spending 17k save a bit more for a 200... not sure how you understood there are 17k 200s, there are none.. nice lx570 start at 25k+ for 100k-150k miles that I've seen in California listings...

for example:

You clearly said... “for 17k” look for a 200. I don’t see any other way to interpret that Sir.

You clearly said... “for 17k” look for a 200. I don’t see any other way to interpret that Sir.
He said "For 17k, I'd SAVE UP..."

You are clearly wrong.

And so is @CloudCity because 200s are ugly. Correct answer is $12k LX and $5k in Kelford Cams and tuning.

He said "For 17k, I'd SAVE UP..."

You are clearly wrong.
That’s like saying for $17k I’d save up for a 911 GT3... why even mention $17k if the cheapest 200 like he said is $25k which is completely different money.... meaning half decent 200s are in the 30s if you do a quick search..... double the price of a $17k truck.

That’s like saying for $17k I’d save up for a 911 GT3... why even mention $17k if the cheapest 200 like he said is $25k which is completely different money.... meaning half decent 200s are in the 30s if you do a quick search..... double the price of a $17k truck.
That means saving up only an additional $9k to $25k which is only 50% more than $17k so maybe you are just trying to argue for argument's sake?

I was in a similar boat so maybe I can offer some first hand advice.

My 99 is great. Rear diff lock, rear bumper, well maintained, sound deadened and a custom sound system that makes me smile every drive. But the 4 speed i shard to escape. Even after the sound deadening the 99LC is loud compared to my LX.

The catalyst for me to seriously consider an update was my FIL getting T-boned in his new 4Runner. Side curtain air bags went off, car was totaled. Had someone been sitting in the rear seat that got hit, I'm not sure how they would have faired without that curtain airbag. The 99 I had at the time does not have any side curtain air bags and I've got a 2 year old that sits in that seat. Enter my search for a late 100 or a 200.

The 200 is awesome, obviously, but still expensive for me. The affordable ones are the early year LX models. To get those "trail ready" involves a hefty investment. I figured it would be around $30k to get a 200 and get it ready for my few, but precious, off-road adventures.

Enter the late 100s. $15-20k buys a nice or even mint 2005-2007. The 06 and 07 have VVTI and the 5 speed. That's a significant performance improvement.

I bought an 06 LX for effectively $13.5k with 218k miles and some flaws, but no rust and a clean/complete interior and body.

The "new to me" LX. It's much more modern feeling. 5 speed with VVTI is transformative. The ride is much quieter. AHC is wonderful. Low mode with a short wife getting a toddler in and out of car seats cannot be understated. Air bags galore.

I'm very glad I made the jump, despite having to go through all the baselining again. I'll be very sad to see the 99 go when I eventually sell it, but the comfort and peace of mind in the 06 are hard to argue against.

I'll still plan on buying a 200, but that'll be after we've bought our "forever home" and I can afford a really nice, trail ready, rig.

Good luck!

If you are going to be happy enough to keep it another 5-10 years then go for it.

The 5 speed/interior of the of the 03+ and the bluetooth audio of the 04+ are very nice additions IMO. I have no regrets not spending the premium on VVTi.

I wouldn’t call $17k for an ‘07 LX with 160k a deal. If it was it would be worth considering.

For what it's worth I knew what he meant when said "save up" for a 200.

On the 07 that's a tough call. Had an 06 and they are nice being a little newer. The air pump issue could pop up but there is a plug and play fix. Toss up really. On the other hand it's nice to know your vehicle. On the other other hand if you're tired of the rust and financially isn't a stretch might as well. It's a win no matter what really. Best of luck.

It all depends on how long you plan on keeping it. Long term, rust free always. Not sure where you’re located, but here’s one heck of a deal on a 200 series for the same price.

How rusty is crusty? Get a wirewheel and put some elbow grease into it. I wouldn't say its worth it. Save up and get a 200. Its not worth it because of the 100 series depreciation curve bottomed out like 3 years ago whereas you can get some nice and clean 200 LXs for low 20s, or right at 20.

I wouldn’t call $17k for an ‘07 LX with 160k a deal. If it was it would be worth considering.

In Colorado that's a hell of a deal. I catalogged dozens of listings when I was on the hunt. $20k was the going rate for higher mileage, but not obviously horrible examples in most the southwest.

Prices go way down in rusty areas, but $17k was a good deal for anything not rusted when I was looking.

If I were you I would find something in the middle. Rust is no fun but $17k is a big jump from where you are now.

Look for a rust free 4 speed or 5 speed if you prefer. Incremental price jump if you have the cash. Less broken bolts.

Vvti I can take or leave. More power is nice but mo computers mo problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom