Should I sell my crusty but fully updated 2001 cruiser for no rust 2007 lx 470 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In Colorado that's a hell of a deal. I catalogged dozens of listings when I was on the hunt. $20k was the going rate for higher mileage, but not obviously horrible examples in most the southwest.

Prices go way down in rusty areas, but $17k was a good deal for anything not rusted when I was looking.

For a LX? To me that looks like a good price for LC, not a LX though.

for 17k I'd save up for a 200.

I keep seeing this posted on here when people are asking about a $15k to $25k 100 series and I'm not sure what to make of it.

First, for some people, myself included, they just don't want a 200 series at this time. That's like telling someone looking at a $12,000 80 series to just get a 100 series instead. I'm sure if someone is looking at a $17k 100 series, they've already considered the 200 and what you would get for your money.

Second, saving more money to get to the next price point is hard to accept as well. Just because I may have $80k sitting in my savings / emergency fund, doesn't mean I can justify dropping $50k on a 2016 just because I can afford it. I have a hard time spending over $20k on a vehicle as there's many other things to spend my money on. Finding a low mileage, great condition, well maintained, rust free 100 for $19k is just a better "bargain" for some.

That being said, if you can make the jump and still be financially comfortable, I'd do it. Yes, keeping what you have is always the cheapest option, but at some point, it's going to rust beyond repair. Buy the newer one, mod it to the way you want it, and keep the old crusty one as a winter rig.

And your comment about keeping it rust free is 100% ignorance. I bought a 100% rust free LS430 in Los Angeles and have put about 40k miles on the car, lives outside and has been daily drive through 3 winters. I’ve Fluid Filmed it right away and did minor touch ups every fall. That car is still 100% rust free. I’ll pay you $500 if you can fly out here and show me one spec of rust underneath my car.
This^. I've probably put 4-5K on my rust free LX after fluid filming it and driving it all winter up here in NH. Not a single spec of rust anywhere on the vehicle.

Do as I do and keep the rusty old 100. Every time you work on it, the rust will be a constant reminder of our fleeting mortality and the fact that every day you are closer to death

Land Cruisers are immortal

giphy.gif

I keep seeing this posted on here when people are asking about a $15k to $25k 100 series and I'm not sure what to make of it.

First, for some people, myself included, they just don't want a 200 series at this time. That's like telling someone looking at a $12,000 80 series to just get a 100 series instead. I'm sure if someone is looking at a $17k 100 series, they've already considered the 200 and what you would get for your money.

Second, saving more money to get to the next price point is hard to accept as well. Just because I may have $80k sitting in my savings / emergency fund, doesn't mean I can justify dropping $50k on a 2016 just because I can afford it. I have a hard time spending over $20k on a vehicle as there's many other things to spend my money on. Finding a low mileage, great condition, well maintained, rust free 100 for $19k is just a better "bargain" for some.

That being said, if you can make the jump and still be financially comfortable, I'd do it. Yes, keeping what you have is always the cheapest option, but at some point, it's going to rust beyond repair. Buy the newer one, mod it to the way you want it, and keep the old crusty one as a winter rig.

The saying around here is buy the newest best maintained cruiser you can afford, someone asking about high priced 100s may not be keeping track of the 200 market which prices are creeping very close to high priced 100s. Also being a 15 year old truck the baselining will be more costly then a 10 year old 200 so the entry price of a high priced 100 vs a 25k 200 starts getting even closer.

It's all opinions anyways and doesn't hurt to receive various views including yours, maybe they are so enamored by the 100 that no 200 can fulfill that desire regardless of how close the purchase price may be.

Personally if i had 20k to spend on a cruiser, a 15 year old vvti with 150k miles would not be in my radar... just save up 5k more and get a 10 year old 200 with 100k miles and many great upgrades compared to 100 (6 speed transmission, huge engine power upgrade, crawl control, cooled seats, no timing belt, 8500 towing capacity and the list goes on).

But, hey I can agree about shopping for bargains that's why i bought a 2001 lx470 with 190k miles one ower from cali babied at lexus dealer all its life just had to be patient for a year to find it. Only 7k, convincing me to get a 200 for 25k at that price range would be impossible.

Last edited:
My opinion is put some money into grinding the rust off yours and getting it coated underneath. The truck will literally live longer than you if it keeps the rot at bay.

All the 200 talk is on most of us 100 series guys minds. I've been watching them for 4 years, and I do really want to make the jump. The things that hold me back are I have the best of both worlds, a built 100 and a stock 100. I don't like the fact that the 200 1/4 windows don't open and it's very hard to remove the 3rd row. Those are 2 things I do in both my 100's just about every week. Who wouldn't want 150 more HP and that amazing 5.7, along with newer tech like cooled seats and heated steering wheel. I will make the transition eventually, it's just hard to give up a perfect 100 right now.

I mean, I drool over 200's when I see one. Yeah, I wish they had a little bit more oomph in the body lines, but the 6 speed is SO strong and the 5.7 is a glorious brute of a motor.

I just don't know what I'd give my 100 up for that I couldn't accomplish by adding a used Tundra to my driveway all for the same money spent.

In the end I'm just jealous of the guys with triple locked 80's and dope 200s. But hey, everyone has to have a hero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom