should I replace my wire harness? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
During install of upgraded heavy duty battery cables (thanks @Fourrunner !) the brittle sheathing around some of the wires near the oil filter broke off (see pic). I have two questions:

1) any concerns with leaving the wire exposed
2) I am about to begin waterproofing my wire harness & connectors w/ dielectric grease...now I am concerned I will encounter similar brittleness/breakage as I go about this arduous task. Would it be wise to replace the whole harness while I’m in there or am I going to wish I had left it alone?

waterproofing is in preparation of some upcoming trips to the ozarks with several water crossings.

thanks MUD

66EC39FA-484E-4F92-8BC7-9CDC569FB7A5.jpeg

No need to replace the entire wiring harness. What has failed is called "split loom". It protects wiring from physical abrasion and should be replaced. It is readily available in most auto parts, home improvement, electronic parts stores and online from Amazon or other sites in various diameters. As the name implies the "tube" is split down its length making relatively easy to replace without requiring connectors to be removed. It can be partially wrapped with electrical tape or similar in key areas like ends and where wires split off the main harness. Much easier and less costly repair than replacing the entire harness and can be done as time permits.

Last edited:
During install of upgraded heavy duty battery cables (thanks @Fourrunner !) the brittle sheathing around some of the wires near the oil filter broke off (see pic). I have two questions:

1) any concerns with leaving the wire exposed
2) I am about to begin waterproofing my wire harness & connectors w/ dielectric grease...now I am concerned I will encounter similar brittleness/breakage as I go about this arduous task. Would it be wise to replace the whole harness while I’m in there or am I going to wish I had left it alone?
waterproofing is in preparation of some upcoming trips to the ozarks with several water crossings.

thanks MUD

View attachment 2636080
Replace with what?

Was going to replace w/ a new OEM harness if necessary, but looks like those cost upwards of $600 bucks...ouch

honestly....i want to get a whole new harness. its expensive but would be nice to have and even if not swapping it out right away just keep it until needed. id imagine if we all kept repairing our harnesses then we'd be fine for a long time but then the day will come when those harnesses are NLA and that would be a bummer..

i vote to get one, vacuum seal it and keep it in a dark drawer until really needed.

Called Toyota yesterday and 95-97 harnesses are on national backorder but not NLA quite yet...

I got one of the last 93-94 engine harnesses back in 2014 or 15 and I’ve never regretted spending that money thanks to all posts I’ve read about engine harness woes. Rip it out and mess with it one time rather than being nickel and dimed in the future not to mention your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom