should i buy this winch (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys i ran across an older warn 6000lb. winch i went to look at it the guy said it worked. we hooked it up to a jumper box and nothing seemed to work. im not real sure we knew what we were doing but any way its an older model with a black knob to engage or disengage. he wants $100 for it as is i dont know if its worth it or not i definantly cannot afford a knew one can i rebuild this? whats the best and worst case sceniero. thanks

Rebuilding them can get real expensive. Is this an upright?

There are a few 6000lb Warns on the market.

If it is the horizontal one with a plastic engage/freespool knob, the knob is NLA. You will have to upgrade the the metal lever which can be some $$.

If it is the upright version that looks like the 8274 but has a aluminum brake handle, most parts are NLA.

Hi All:

Unless you want a project to tinker with I'd pass on it.

Look for an old Warn upright electric winch (M8274.) If you keep your eyes and ears open you can sometimes find these as low as US$400. though US$500. is more common.

The 8274 is one of the very best electric winches ever produced, and parts are still available through Warn.

Regards,

Alan

email me the picture and I will post it. - bailey.quintrell (at) gmail.com

"Foot and a half long" sounds like a planetary winch (the plastic knob one D'Animal is referring to), while "upright" does not fit that description.

Might as well get the picture up and know for sure.

M6000 it is.
0310092010b.jpg

Good luck!

Get it, tear it completely apart and find everything that is wrong with it or that it needs. Then call Warn and get an estimate on the parts. You may be able to do it before you buy it.

You
"Hey Mr. Warn representative, I got an older M6000 winch. Worst case scenarion, how much is a motor and engage/disengage update kit and a solenoid?

Mr. Warn representative
" Thanks for calling, blah blah blah, With shipping, you are looking at $682.00."

You
"ouch, I could have bought a new one"

Hopefully you will find a broken wire or you will realize that these need really good grounds and it is something simple. That is never my luck.

and while you're pondering whether to get this or not, maybe wonder also watcha gonna do with it, cuz it ain't gonna pull a big heavy truck from a tricky spot that easily unless you snatchblock the snot out of it...

but, eh, any winch is better than no winch as they say (sometimes misleadingly)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom