Should I be worried about rust buying a 200-series? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I started my search looking for a 70 series LC and ended up with the other end of the utilitarian spectrum - a lx570. I considered only 70 series then 80 series then 100 then 200 before noticing that the LXs are much cheaper and easier to find; then the more I looked into it the more I fell in love with it (minus new grills).

I honestly couldn’t be happier but it took a lot to come to the conclusion that an LX makes more sense. I Just plan on doing tires, rims and sliders and I’m ready to hit up the trails. Even as stock on street tires, I haven’t gotten stuck on nearby trails yet, as the high mode from AHC and sensor adjustment alone gives me great clearance.

To me rust is a big factor as these cars are designed to run for so long that rust is one of the only sure ways in which its life can be cut short. Second biggest factor is maintenance history and accidents.

I’ve had a few people give me crap, but even most of the Premium users will tell you that running regular is okay. I personally choose regular over premium for the sole reason that the long term cost savings is worth missing out on the few proven benefits of paying for premium. Point is, don’t let the fuel type affect your decision when considering an LX, as many have ran it on regular just fine.

I also have not noticed any significant changes in MPG, maybe 1mpg difference if there is a difference.

To me rust is a big factor as these cars are designed to run for so long that rust is one of the only sure ways in which its life can be cut short.

This should be the canned answer to “is rust a big deal”. Well put.

I started my search looking for a 70 series LC and ended up with the other end of the utilitarian spectrum - a lx570. I considered only 70 series then 80 series then 100 then 200 before noticing that the LXs are much cheaper and easier to find; then the more I looked into it the more I fell in love with it (minus new grills).

I honestly couldn’t be happier but it took a lot to come to the conclusion that an LX makes more sense. I Just plan on doing tires, rims and sliders and I’m ready to hit up the trails. Even as stock on street tires, I haven’t gotten stuck on nearby trails yet, as the high mode from AHC and sensor adjustment alone gives me great clearance.

To me rust is a big factor as these cars are designed to run for so long that rust is one of the only sure ways in which its life can be cut short. Second biggest factor is maintenance history and accidents.

I’ve had a few people give me crap, but even most of the Premium users will tell you that running regular is okay. I personally choose regular over premium for the sole reason that the long term cost savings is worth missing out on the few proven benefits of paying for premium. Point is, don’t let the fuel type affect your decision when considering an LX, as many have ran it on regular just fine.

I also have not noticed any significant changes in MPG, maybe 1mpg difference if there is a difference.

Thanks. Great insight. We want this to be a 20 year truck so I hear you on the rust. I love the AHC on the LX, but you get KDSS with the Cruiser. I would probably use AHC more than the KDSS would engage since we mostly stick to forrest roads without too much articulation. I doubt I'll ever have one wheel off the ground. Are the repair coast higher on the LX?

I just got a video on an LC I'm looking at in St. Luis. It's definately got some rust underneath.I would love some professional opinions on if this rust is something we should be worried about:

It would be awesome If any of you guys have time to take a peak and let me know what you think. It's not a great video but you can see rust in several areas. Lot's of surface rust but looks a little more deep around a few welds. This one was from St. Luis so I'm guessing it just gets worse going further north.

Thanks. Great insight. We want this to be a 20 year truck so I hear you on the rust. I love the AHC on the LX, but you get KDSS with the Cruiser. I would probably use AHC more than the KDSS would engage since we mostly stick to forrest roads without too much articulation. I doubt I'll ever have one wheel off the ground. Are the repair coast higher on the LX?

I just got a video on an LC I'm looking at in St. Luis. It's definately got some rust underneath.I would love some professional opinions on if this rust is something we should be worried about:

It would be awesome If any of you guys have time to take a peak and let me know what you think. It's not a great video but you can see rust in several areas. Lot's of surface rust but looks a little more deep around a few welds. This one was from St. Luis so I'm guessing it just gets worse going further north.

Hard pass.

KDSS allows slightly more articulation off-road than AHC, but AHC allows significantly more clearance under the body. The big selling point for the cruiser is if you are likely to mod the suspension. AHC is great but it won’t meet the needs of some people and as mentioned while you can remove it and fit a traditional suspension you won’t have the articulation of a KDSS equipped landcruiser. If you are likely to leave the suspension alone, AHC is hard to beat. Someone has even put the wider tundra arms on and kept AHC and all of its advantages.

Hard pass.

KDSS allows slightly more articulation off-road than AHC, but AHC allows significantly more clearance under the body. The big selling point for the cruiser is if you are likely to mod the suspension. AHC is great but it won’t meet the needs of some people and as mentioned while you can remove it and fit a traditional suspension you won’t have the articulation of a KDSS equipped landcruiser. If you are likely to leave the suspension alone, AHC is hard to beat. Someone has even put the wider tundra arms on and kept AHC and all of its advantages.

Yeah. Thats what I thought. Guess Im sharing a camry another week or two : (

AHC is starting to sound like a better fit for our family. We’re likely never rock crawling. Do you have to stick to stock tire size to avoid rubbing on the low setting? Offroad tires required, size optional.

Yeah. Thats what I thought. Guess Im sharing a camry another week or two : (

AHC is starting to sound like a better fit for our family. We’re likely never rock crawling. Do you have to stick to stock tire size to avoid rubbing on the low setting? Offroad tires required, size optional.

Im not an expert on what will fit AHC, let alone with the 20” wheels. Pretty sure you can go at least an inch taller, possibly 2 or 3.

What I do know is the lack of KDSS arm in the front actually buys you some room for larger and wider tires.. or so I’ve read.

Tons of discussion on this board of your options. Also look up the tire and wheel database

Im not an expert on what will fit AHC, let alone with the 20” wheels. Pretty sure you can go at least an inch taller, possibly 2 or 3.

What I do know is the lack of KDSS arm in the front actually buys you some room for larger and wider tires.. or so I’ve read.

Tons of discussion on this board of your options. Also look up the tire and wheel database

Will do.Thank you.

KDSS and AHC are both variants of the same core hydraulically cross-linked suspension technology. One acts on the sway bar, the other acts on the shock. One is simpler and completely passive, the other is more feature rich that is actively computer controlled, with additional height, damping, and multi-spring rate function.

Same chassis and both effectively score the same RTI. 647 to 645, respectively LC to LX (on 21" wheels) in one test.. 538 to 542, LC to LX (on 20" wheels) in another test.

Any tire the LC can fit, the LX can also fit as they are both 200-series. Notably, the LX can fit both larger and wider as it does not have the KDSS bar as the first point of contact.

A few points:

LX Maintenance vs LC maintenance - About the same if you use the Toyota equivalent parts/buy from Toyota instead of getting the same exact part from Lexus. This is true for labor as well. Basically when it comes to maintenance think of it as a Toyota Land Cruiser with only a few differences, so most of the maintenance will be the same cost as long as you remember to go to Toyota and not Lexus.

As far as tires go, LX stock can fit 33-34s with minor trimming. No additional cost in mods to fit 33/34s... let that sink in. If you adjust the sensors (video link of me doing it below), then you get another ~1.25 inches of lift and be able to fit 33s onto a completely stock vehicle with no trimming - that to me is amazing. As far as KDSS goes, the LX does have AVS/AHC working in combination to do what the KDSS does. You lose KDSS you gain AHC and AVS i see a gain and not a loss there. I feel very lucky that many people do not understand the LX and because of that i feel like i got a steal on mine. It just should not be cheaper than an LC but it is for the time being, so i would take advantage of that.

If you are building something multi purpose for some camping trips but also to haul your family around town, then in my opinion the LX cannot be beat. If you really build an LC for rock crawling, it will beat the LX in rock crawling/really hardcore trails, but outside of those specific situations the LX really outshines the LC. I can't stress enough how nice it is to be able to handle the trails while still riding like a Caddy on the highway home afterwards. With most cars you give up a lot of your ride comfort/on road handling, and money, to get it to where it is trail ready, but not with the AHC equipped vehicles.

Last edited:
Shopped for a used, 3-4 year old 200 for about 3 months here in the NE. Was very disappointed. A lot of rust buckets that looked good on the surface but scared the crap out of me when looking st the undercarriage. The good stuff cost serious money. I finally got smart, went South and picked up a Texas vehicle with full service records. Clean as a whistle and it has been absolutely problem free.

I targeted only CA, NV, AZ, TX, NM, & CO. After a year I found the right on at a Mercedes dealer NV. I put a deposit down over the phone, scheduled a inspection at a local Lexus dealer and bought a one way ticket. When you find the right truck, you need to move swiftly

A few points:

LX Maintenance vs LC maintenance - About the same if you use the Toyota equivalent parts/buy from Toyota instead of getting the same exact part from Lexus. This is true for labor as well. Basically when it comes to maintenance think of it as a Toyota Land Cruiser with only a few differences, so most of the maintenance will be the same cost as long as you remember to go to Toyota and not Lexus.

As far as tires go, LX stock can fit 33-34s with minor trimming. No additional cost in mods to fit 33/34s... let that sink in. If you adjust the sensors (video link of me doing it below), then you get another ~1.25 inches of lift and be able to fit 33s onto a completely stock vehicle with no trimming - that to me is amazing. As far as KDSS goes, the LX does have AVS/AHC working in combination to do what the KDSS does. You lose KDSS you gain AHC and AVS i see a gain and not a loss there. I feel very lucky that many people do not understand the LX and because of that i feel like i got a steal on mine. It just should not be cheaper than an LC but it is for the time being, so i would take advantage of that.

If you are building something multi purpose for some camping trips but also to haul your family around town, then in my opinion the LX cannot be beat. If you really build an LC for rock crawling, it will beat the LX in rock crawling/really hardcore trails, but outside of those specific situations the LX really outshines the LC. I can't stress enough how nice it is to be able to handle the trails while still riding like a Caddy on the highway home afterwards. With most cars you give up a lot of your ride comfort/on road handling to get it to where it is trail ready, but not with the AHC equipped vehicles.

KDSS and AHC are both variants of the same core hydraulically cross-linked suspension technology. One acts on the sway bar, the other acts on the shock. One is simpler and completely passive, the other is more feature rich that is actively computer controlled, with additional height, damping, and multi-spring rate function.

Same chassis and both effectively score the same RTI. 647 to 645, respectively LC to LX (on 21" wheels) in one test.. 538 to 542, LC to LX (on 20" wheels) in another test.

Any tire the LC can fit, the LX can also fit as they are both 200-series. Notably, the LX can fit both larger and wider as it does not have the KDSS bar as the first point of contact.
A few points:

LX Maintenance vs LC maintenance - About the same if you use the Toyota equivalent parts/buy from Toyota instead of getting the same exact part from Lexus. This is true for maintenance as well. Basically when it comes to maintenance think of it as a Toyota Land Cruiser with only a few differences, so most of the maintenance will be the same cost as long as you remember to go to Toyota and not Lexus.

If you are building something multi purpose for some camping trips but also to haul your family around town, then in my opinion the LX cannot be beat. If you really build an LC for rock crawling, it will beat the LX in rock crawling/really hardcore trails, but outside of those specific situations the LX really outshines the LC. I can't stress enough how nice it is to be able to handle the trails while still riding like a Caddy on the highway home afterwards. With most cars you give up a lot of your ride comfort/on road handling to get it to where it is trail ready, but not with the AHC equipped vehicles.

Thats a pretty convincing argument. Im not going to change anything drastic on it. I just want slightly beefier tires and a bit more clearance. Most of my crawling is to the park and gymnastics.

Thats a pretty convincing argument. Im not going to change anything drastic on it. I just want slightly beefier tires and a bit more clearance. Most of my crawling is to the park and gymnastics.

That's the beauty of the LX, is that beefier tires is really all she needs to get you almost anywhere.

One other thing that may be worthy of consideration, is that when specifically looking for non-abused (not trail rigs) and with good dealer-maintenance records, then i found it easier to find an LX that meets both criteria when compared to an LC. Most of them really are just pavement queens. It would make sense if you consider that many LX owners are people who (no offense please) have little idea what their vehicles are truly capable of (same with Lexus GXs), as well as consider that most LX owners can afford to go to the dealership. There seems to be way less "DIYer/enthusiasts/modders" and more "keep it stock/drop it off at the dealer for basic services" when it comes to the LX crowd. When looking for a car that will last, i'd say these are two very important factors.

That's the beauty of the LX, is that beefier tires is really all she needs to get you almost anywhere.

One other thing that may be worthy of consideration, is that when specifically looking for non-abused (not trail rigs) and with good dealer-maintenance records, then i found it easier to find an LX that meets both criteria when compared to an LC. Most of them really are just pavement queens. It would make sense if you consider that many LX owners are people who (no offense please) have little idea what their vehicles are truly capable of (same with Lexus GXs), as well as consider that most LX owners can afford to go to the dealership. There seems to be way less "DIYer/enthusiasts/modders" and more "keep it stock/drop it off at the dealer for basic services" when it comes to the LX crowd. When looking for a car that will last, i'd say these are two very important factors.

Agreed. I had no idea that the LX could take 87 and handle tires stock. There’s a loaded 08’ LX in Wichita at a lexus dealer right now. Its got 200k but 1 owner and asking price is 19k. Im hoping its not a rust bucket underneath, but, it’s in Wichita so...

Agreed. I had no idea that the LX could take 87 and handle tires stock. There’s a loaded 08’ LX in Wichita at a lexus dealer right now. Its got 200k but 1 owner and asking price is 19k. Im hoping its not a rust bucket underneath, but, it’s in Wichita so...

That’s a great deal for sure if rust isn’t a deal breaker. Did you plug the VIN into Lexus website to check dealer maintenance history? It is free to do so just make account and add vin to your vehicles.

If good maintenance record and no rust then I’d move quick on that. The high mileage isn’t a big deal if it has been maintained well. If you PM me the VIN I can help you look and maybe offer a second opinion.

That’s a great deal for sure if rust isn’t a deal breaker. Did you plug the VIN into Lexus website to check dealer maintenance history? It is free to do so just make account and add vin to your vehicles.

If good maintenance record and no rust then I’d move quick on that. The high mileage isn’t a big deal if it has been maintained well. If you PM me the VIN I can help you look and maybe offer a second opinion.
They called a minute ago. Its gone : ( I have been using the lexus driver's site. Definitely looking for fully serviced. Back to the drawing board... Ive got a guy at Autonation toy in town with a search saved on their network so I should get a heads up as soon as one comes in there.

Do any of you guys know a finance company that would work with private party deal over 125k miles? I know I can get financing at a dealer but private party would open up some slightly newer ones I think. We only want to come with 15k cash which would get me a ton of good gx’s but not quite enough for a 200 series lx. I think Id rather have a 460 then a 100 series for the power/mileage if it came to it.

Buy most of it with a credit card with 0% APR they give you on the checks. Then you can figure out how to finance later.

I’ve used DCU with great success in the past, but keep in mind it’s a “hard pull” and only lasts 30 or 45 days, I believe. If you don’t use it then it will hang out a few months before it drops off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom