Shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I found out that sometime in the last 3 months I managed to snap my rear shock. It's coil over so the coil is bent about 45 degrees and the shock inside is sheared in two. Never heard of that happening. I haven't been off road with it in about 4 or 5 months. I'll post pics as soon as I get the camera from work. So my question is... I'm getting all new shocks. What's the best, most durable shock out there? I'm running stock springs with 1.5" shackles. 77 FJ40. Thanks. :beer:

It happens. My '89 Dodge shock snapped on the front. It was never off road since the shock was installed (about 1 year). Got replaced under warrantee from the shock manufacturer.

We'll occassionally snap one in our road racer (ITS 280Z) and have snapped a couple in an old CJ2A I did offroad racing in years ago. Never had one break in a cruiser. OME and Bilstein shocks have both done very well by me. Be careful not to get too stiff of a valving if you wish for good road manners (i.e. not shaking the fillings out).

i walked out of work one day to find my skyjacker shock hanging straight down...eye snapped off...hadn't been off road in months.

Well here it is.

another

i cant help but laugh, sorry. i'm running rancho 9000 and love them (adjastable too!)

Could part of the problem be that they were mounted upside down? I seem to recall someone mentioning that that could lead to a problem as shocks age (in some prior post).

are they really upside down? That's how I bought it. hmmm? please elaborate...?

I claim no expertise. At some prior shock discussion (I know, I should do a search), somebody pointed out that, due to gravity or whatever, junk can get into the shock body with age and time and affect function. Maybe just some types of shock. Anyway, the shock body is up in the illustration from the Land Cruiser C&B manual:

the ass end always jumps around quite a bit, but I figured it was just old/shot shocks. Does it have something to do with the coil over? What are the effects of the coil overs off road?

so i'm thinking HFS, Heckethorn or Rancho...........+/-?

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=10176;start=msg91210#msg91210 date=1074353141]
I claim no expertise. At some prior shock discussion (I know, I should do a search), somebody pointed out that, due to gravity or whatever, junk can get into the shock body with age and time and affect function. Maybe just some types of shock. Anyway, the shock body is up in the illustration from the Land Cruiser C&B manual:
[/quote]

Dave, those are the shock covers that protect the piston rod, similiar to a shock boot. Most shocks mount body down, if not then they, I believe, starve the valve for oil.

[quote author=skiakhokie link=board=1;threadid=10176;start=msg91313#msg91313 date=1074361894]
so i'm thinking HFS, Heckethorn or Rancho...........+/-?
[/quote]

Do a search, I believe DT3000's are recommended often, the coilovers are used to level the truck when the factory springs sag in the rear.

[quote author=fsusteve link=board=1;threadid=10176;start=msg91336#msg91336 date=1074366127]
Dave, those are the shock covers that protect the piston rod, similiar to a shock boot. Most shocks mount body down, if not then they, I believe, starve the valve for oil.
[/quote]

My Bad.

[quote author=skiakhokie link=board=1;threadid=10176;start=msg91021#msg91021 date=1074310492]
another
[/quote]

I had those same Gabriel shocks on My FJ40 when I bought it (man-a-fre used to sell them/ Worked great to boost a sagging ass I guess....anyhow...Mine broke EXCACTLY like that LOL!

RJ

I ran DT3000's on my XJ...decent ride, inexpensive but they Rust Quickly (shaft and body)...several customers have noticed the same thing...a bit of a bummer.

As far as quality, I've been very impressed with the Old Man Emus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom