Shock mount info needed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

theferg

SILVER Star
Threads
So there I am fixin' up my full float rear, gettin' ready to weld the lower shock mounts to the spring perches when I go for a test fitment with the locking diff in the axle. No good. The shock mount hits the actuator. No chance movin' the shock mount over more--the shock will still hit the actuator. Because of where the cross member is, and where the upper shock mounts are, and where the gas tank is--it's pretty much out of the question to run the shocks to the rear of the axle (it'd take a lot of work, but could be possible...). Anyway, the easy option, would be to to raise the shock mount up higher, but then I would have to run like 12 inch shocks or something... Anyway, I know there's atleast one dude around who has that SOA HJ61 with factory cable lockers... My question is this: how are the shocks run? I know the cable lock actuator thing is not quite as bulky, but it can't be that much smaller. How are the shocks run on stock SUA HJ61s with cable lockers? Anybody got some info? Pics would be great too. Anybody know what I'm talkin' about here? Any ideas?

Here's a pic of how my lower shock mounts are on my semi float axle (without the locker) and a pic of the locking diff in the full float axle and where the perch is...

-Ferg-

This is what things look like in a stock HJ61 with cable locker.

HTH

Sheldon

Wow, so it actually runs in the front still... It must be pretty tight. I know it won't work with an e-locker unless the mount is moved way forward... Anyway, I have decided to run them in the back of the axle. A little fabbin' for the top mount and I'll be good to go. Thanks for the help and the pics.

As to the shock being mounted upside down, the shocks I have cannot be mounted that way. They can only be mmounted with the "skinny" side up.

-Ferg-

Most shocks are designed so the oil cycles through the internal valving in such a manner that the air or gas floats to the top away from the valving. If installed upside down the shocks will cavitate or foam by mixing the air or gas into the oil diminishing the effectiveness of the shock. In layman terms it no worky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom