Builds Shipwreck (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What brand t-case parking brake do you have? And do you like it? Hold well? Thanks.

I overpaid for 2 Jeeps on Sunday.... they were free..... my reputation is clearly done
NuEUzKrh.jpg

Finally went wheeling with the repair/new stuff.
Foremost, there is no bad day when you're out wheeling with you friends.
it did get cut short because I had trouble with both the EFI and then at the end transmission... Since this isn't pirate, the build is honest and not perfect.

made the hour plus drive to the trailhead without problems
nNN2UTvh.jpg

then this
2Ipw0RLh.jpg

2 electricians and a computer systems guy... what did we do? reboot by turning the system on and off
turns out that what I should have done there is turn up the idle screw.... the IAC was overwhelmed - thus it was running like crap HOWEVER, at this point front right injector was on full bore.... I think the reboot did get the injector to behave, but the close way out from here is a 2 mile very steep downhill - and once you're committed there is no tap out.... no motor means no brakes, so we saved that battle for another day.
The other issue that I haven't diagnosed yet is a howling when going into 2nd from either direction (and only 2nd). It doesn't do it all the time, but the clutch isn't fully disengaging when warm so that solution may fix this...

to be continued.

Went wheeling, had issues with the injectors and later the transmission
yUeDoVIh.jpg

one of the injectors was hanging open
2Ipw0RLh.jpg

This picture makes me laugh because 2 electricians and one computer guy are working on it. The solution was, of course, turn it off then on.... that didn't do it, hitting it with a hammer coincided with it stopping flooding the motor.... not claiming victory though because the hammering and the turning on and off happened simultaneously...

I guess FiTech has had some issues with injectors hanging open. They were good, they sent me 2 - one for a spare and another to replace the hanging one...

The injectors arrived yesterday, and I am painting stuff so I figured I'd add these half doors to the pile of stuff to do
welded braces inside
LTOlVdrh.jpg

then finishing the body work... not perfect but adequate....
IuBsfrvh.jpg

c8EURSQh.jpg

as for the transmission - I phoned an expert and thicker oil will be the solution.

One other issue. I would swear I set the butterflies when I set up the FiTech. It ran great for 100 miles, then suddenly (along with the injector issue), the IAC can't control the idle. Had I looked at the duty cycle, I would have seen a too-high number for open percentage on the IAC. Opening up the butterfly a couple turns solved the problem.
To explain, unlike a carb that needs a certain flow and usually shut butterflies; the IAC controls the amount of air but it's like the fine adjustment of that air flow. ... anyway, I should stop swearing....

force is the answer (like I needed to tell anyone that). what is interesting is you need to pull the injector to get the plug out. When this happened, we tried to pull the plug to just deadhead the injector.... no force happened, but it wasn't coming... Steve, I blame John - after all, it wasn't a software issue it was a hardware issue.

in this picture.. Steve is in the middle, John is on the right
1592273246261.png

with that said, I really blame Ben Draper.... but that's an issue for another day.

I know this seems like a nothing post... but to someone it might help

If you use a Cool Cruisers fuel-sender, they're wrong on the website - it's not 2.1/4.5/6.5 ohms F 1/2 E sender. It's 10/75 Full / Empty ohms. If you have a Dakota digital dash - the right setting is F 10 (the Ford sender) .

I won't admit to how much time it took to get the information to compile that sentence.

Took me a few days, but I've just finished reading through this thread. What a fantastic build! It's hard to believe where you began and what you've ended up with, and I really admire how out-of-the-box a lot of your solutions are with this.

Took me a few days, but I've just finished reading through this thread. What a fantastic build! It's hard to believe where you began and what you've ended up with, and I really admire how out-of-the-box a lot of your solutions are with this.

Thanks, took it out for a spin today and it worked awesome... time to go beat on it some more until is cries uncle :)

why do FJ drivers think they're faster? #nottodaynotever (It was funny, today was 100% Toyotas running me - usually it's Jeeps doing the losing, though they haven't been trying since that time I chopped an angry JoKe with my diesel Suburban)....
why don't I daily this? oh yeah, swampers...
and it's time to drag Steve out... I've driven it a couple hundred miles with no issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom