Builds Shipwreck (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are you adding baffles or multiple pickups? Do you worry about the pump starving when low on fuel and tilted?

I would.

onward
xVRYtK2h.jpg

cut the fill off the old tank and weld onto the new
sIDXFOrh.jpg

welding
E6Xu4AEh.jpg

and the side
ksghUHXh.jpg

hmmm, and another
MoTZIhvh.jpg

cF4pD4Ih.jpg

more welding
zMNtJPFh.jpg

so a puzzler.... I had this reflective stuff on the old tank, and it looked like it got warm.... but I've gone back to pictures when I pulled the tank out once before and there wasn't an issue
8oyiYUSh.jpg

I may have dodged a bullet....
plumbing - part of the issue with the old was it had a fuel smell - that I attributed to the non-vapor-proof braided return line
9CRlhzVh.jpg

runs again, fuel sender is correct (which will be nice), and no fuel smell - that said, expect pictures of the old fuel tank and the time when I had pulled it out....

Are you adding baffles or multiple pickups? Do you worry about the pump starving when low on fuel and tilted?

I would.
what Steve said = hydramat, and it's worth every penny. I've run it completely out of fuel - and it got it, it also pulls from the sump area. On the 40 tanks, there are two baffles that run fore to aft on either side of the sump I put the hydramat in that sump.

I've used it now since it came out (early adopter), and frankly I can't believe it's not more popular in the 4x4 world....

and here's why I say that:
It works as a pre-filter
It works as a sump
AND it works to pull the last drop of fuel out of a tank.... I sound like an infomercial but it works...

Naw, if I run out I'll just siphon yours. :D
oh yeah, I gotcha buddy :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

and seriously, if you want the one that came out of the old tank... it seems to be just fine, you can have it..... be an interesting challenge to get it into a tank without an access hole.

Last edited:
I very nearly bought an internal pump last time around. I am happy with me current arrangement for now. If I swap to a FI like your's I might change my mind.

So how do you like it now? Running OK? Driving well?

oh yeah, I gotcha buddy :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

and seriously, if you want the one that came out of the old tank... it seems to be just fine, you can have it..... be an interesting challenge to get it into a tank without an access hole.

and then it started leaking
N1a4a5lh.jpg

take apart
kOXFtLGh.jpg

reassemble with tape rather then paste
BcB4DxUh.jpg

leak free again - and it runs fine now. I'll take it for a spin tomorrow, but I think I'm going to build a heat shield for the tank.... that plus the air gap it has now ... I dunno, maybe the sheets of fail were plugging the sock....

my current guess is that the heat caused the laminate to fail.... that said, I still don't know...

Promised pictures of tank
YGcs4fuh.jpg

yeah, it looks like it literally combusted....

so I got that issue resolved with the pump and new tank, but I still had a stutter at 2000+ rpm.... the mystery deepened when the computer showed everything working happily.... spark, and it's not the first time I've had a coil say FU when it got warm.... didn't really care about getting a performance one but I did care about getting one today - so I did.... and it works great now
TZkHZeZh.jpg

so I puttered around in this a day or two ago, it seems to be running fine; but I get the occasional fuel smell so I pulled the seat, again
and it it all with some air pressure and soapy water.... nothing
djEK3uCh.jpg

I tightened a return line but I dunno, if I pressure enough I get a slight smell but no bubbles... but not after tightening the line... success? dunno. If it burns to the ground at least I can say I tried....

and then it started leaking
N1a4a5lh.jpg

take apart
kOXFtLGh.jpg

reassemble with tape rather then paste
BcB4DxUh.jpg

leak free again - and it runs fine now. I'll take it for a spin tomorrow, but I think I'm going to build a heat shield for the tank.... that plus the air gap it has now ... I dunno, maybe the sheets of fail were plugging the sock....

my current guess is that the heat caused the laminate to fail.... that said, I still don't know...
You need to use thread sealer made for gasoline on those fittings. Teflon will fail. We use it on our fuel pumps at work.
Amazon product ASIN B008HPVEP0
Works great. I have those same fittings on my race car and I used it on it with no issues, same type of alum fittings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom