Builds Shipwreck (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

At least cutting on a new tank won’t cause an explosion :). In my case the seat frame makes in-tank pump placement difficult. Hopefully yours has a nice space for it.

What vendors offer the best prices?

One of the big reasons I got a new one last year. I wanted a new one while they were still around. That and the laquer in the bottom wouldn’t let gas out. They aren’t free, but having a oem replacement is comforting.
Now I’m staring down an ls swap, cutting the new stock tank for an in tank pump is tough to swallow. Debating on trying to clean the old one up to cut it instead of the new one. Choices...

At least cutting on a new tank won’t cause an explosion :). In my case the seat frame makes in-tank pump placement difficult. Hopefully yours has a nice space for it.

this is one of those reasons why I say "50/50 chance" of snow running on Sunday - keep in mind, I used the stock frame as the base for the new seat - thus, any interference I have (or don't have) will be the same as yours.....

Cool Cruisers of Texas

The fuel pickup and return are different? I notice on the CCOT site they show the pickup tube being down low with a return hose bung in the side where the '71 pickup normally is.

Be aware that the newer tanks (post 72) are smaller - 16.4 gallons vs 18.5 gallons. Just something to consider when buying.

Beno edged everyone else out. Not by a lot, but enough. There was another vendor with cheaper pricing, but the shipping was what took it over the top. I think it was Lakeland Toyota. Some where in Minnesota. I never thought to try Cruiser Outfitters.
As far as seats go, mine(elec Montero ) are a bit high. It’s tolerable, but when they’re ready to replace, I’ll be looking for something slimmer on the seat. Plus side is I find them very comfortable and one day I’ll hook up the heaters...

theory is the pump comes tomorrow.... so forward
remove the seat
U0v6IfZh.jpg

see the silver stuff that's lifting? that's the POR tank coating.... the inside of the tank looks about the same
KChIGkDh.jpg

drain the gas
2JHN0WOh.jpg

and shoot.... okay, I should have checked this long ago (when I tried to burn it down) but it appears I need to do some recoating under the tank
izMTXDlh.jpg

ZXSmZUFh.jpg

What's interesting (at least to me) is the ceramic coating/sound deadener survived just fine, it's the liner on top that got baked.... I was a fan of the coating before, even more so now

the tank fits the hole, but it's not without needed mods
h7mr186h.jpg

probably I will weld a new neck in place....
Pecc1BHh.jpg

Be aware that the newer tanks (post 72) are smaller - 16.4 gallons vs 18.5 gallons. Just something to consider when buying.

not a pro, however, I've run the stock tank dry enough times that I know it's 16.4 gallons (in my 1970 FJ40). The new tank is 16.4 gallons - and there is, potentially, a 18.5 gallon tank available however, it wasn't available when I bought this and I want to go snow wheeling this weekend with Steve sooooo it is what it is. That said, there is a HUGE part of me that wants to try out my plasma table in building a reserve tank to fill that well behind the seats.... but not now, it's going to be a rush to get this done by the 22nd.... and I still think it's a 50/50 chance because of the fouled injectors....

Beno edged everyone else out. Not by a lot, but enough. There was another vendor with cheaper pricing, but the shipping was what took it over the top. I think it was Lakeland Toyota. Some where in Minnesota. I never thought to try Cruiser Outfitters.
As far as seats go, mine(elec Montero ) are a bit high. It’s tolerable, but when they’re ready to replace, I’ll be looking for something slimmer on the seat. Plus side is I find them very comfortable and one day I’ll hook up the heaters...

Okay, I'll ask - who's Beno? I bought what I bought because it came with a new fuel sender and gasket as part of the deal. When I was pricing, that freebie put them at like $60 cheaper delivered.... plus you do get a *wink* *wink* FJ40 poster

Okay, I'll ask - who's Beno? I bought what I bought because it came with a new fuel sender and gasket as part of the deal. When I was pricing, that freebie put them at like $60 cheaper delivered.... plus you do get a *wink* *wink* FJ40 poster
He’s a parts supplier here on mud. Search his name, also goes by @Onur. Seems pretty well respected and had timely delivery. You got me beat with the fuel sender- all I got was a shiny new tank.

Last edited:
Now that you are talking volume, I have never actually tested how many gallons mine holds. I only assumed it was 18.5.

not a pro, however, I've run the stock tank dry enough times that I know it's 16.4 gallons (in my 1970 FJ40). The new tank is 16.4 gallons - and there is, potentially, a 18.5 gallon tank available however, it wasn't available when I bought this and I want to go snow wheeling this weekend with Steve sooooo it is what it is. That said, there is a HUGE part of me that wants to try out my plasma table in building a reserve tank to fill that well behind the seats.... but not now, it's going to be a rush to get this done by the 22nd.... and I still think it's a 50/50 chance because of the fouled injectors....

Now that you are talking volume, I have never actually tested how many gallons mine holds. I only assumed it was 18.5.

if you argue with your fuel gauge, it happens often enough. It's also why I carry 2 gallons with me at all times. One of the times we went to Walker, I rolled into that Chevron station and it took 16.3 gallons. Love hydramats

My last trip to Naches/funny rocks I barely made it off the trails and to a gas station. I was wishing I had extra gas. Its been a long time since I came off a trail at the end of a long day with less than 1/4 tank.

if you argue with your fuel gauge, it happens often enough. It's also why I carry 2 gallons with me at all times. One of the times we went to Walker, I rolled into that Chevron station and it took 16.3 gallons. Love hydramats

onward, fitting
9sOGLIih.jpg

pump goes between the straps
9L1pLj9h.jpg

and dead end, thought it needed 3 1/2" hole saw, no, 3 1/4.... ugh
other bad news is I don't have enough fuel line - so even worse news I had to buy from Summit to have any hope of it arriving before the weekend.....

and the codes.
U2epJSeh.jpg

first is P0305 = misfire... yeah, no kidding
second is interesting P0505 = IAC malfunction
the FiTech ones are (and a pain to find)
38 is timing interference
53 is IAC again....

now the puzzler - none of these codes appeared at first break-down (it warmed to 140* then wouldn't run - like no fuel no run)....

now you know the reason behind the odds. I believe it will be all together by Sunday, but whether or not I've found the issue.... there is a secondary puzzler, I don't use FiTech to control the ignition - granted it can, but it isn't necessary so I left it off, and when I set it up, it had no problem saying "there is no ignition to control".... now that option isn't available - so there is a possibility this is software....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom