Builds Shipwreck (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All true, especially flattening all the previous dents at the rear corners and quarters. It took a lot of effort and clamps to get the back corner metal out far enough to sandwich it between the flare and the inner plate a made.

Mine are smittybilt TJ flares - that I shortened and chopped the center out..... much like Steve did after he saw mine*.... I used them at Walker as a turning point around a bollard.... the worst was getting the damn yellow paint off.... it did nothing to the vehicle. the key is it's distributing the weight across the panel and that's right at the point where the inner fender meets the side panel - so it's pretty strong. Your comment makes me chuckle, though, about distributing the blow - if you damage a side panel through these, you'll have far more trouble than just a dented panel. One thing to be aware of, they can trap dirt and moisture so the should either be well sealed or open enough to wash dust out from behind them....

*what Steve (srgould) didn't tell you, his side panel had more waves then a parade - when he bolted the flare on, it straightened the side out..... which is kind of the opposite of what some might be saying

Awesome - thanks both for the replies. My thinking was sort of in the same vein about having a lot of reinforcement there from the wheel well. Sounds like you’re both solidly in the metal flare camp.

I may not use TJ flares specifically - but the cutting and welding isn’t a concern if it comes to that.

I may not use TJ flares specifically - but the cutting and welding isn’t a concern if it comes to that.

it was cheaper and faster than building them myself - but the paint on them was really well put on (and had to be ground off), thus on balance I'm not certain I'd do it again....

back to this
JYOv6w6h.jpg

new pump
9FeYasCh.jpg

lest you think I get this done without a mess
QoSAvvVh.jpg

fits right where the old one was

seems to fit just fine.... now all the details
I4qXHsyh.jpg

get it running so we can hit the trail next weekend. :) I am not on bi-weekly on-calls. Makes finding time to wheel a little more difficult.

more spaghetti
wLBoElRh.jpg

and throttle cable
2uZWYZsh.jpg

hey look, powah
RZxDdbjh.jpg

in theory, this is correct.
pfPeSsSh.jpg

I say in theory because the pump comes on when I turn the switch on, but the handheld says it cannot find the ECU.... we will see... there's a secondary problem with no tach signal for the dash.... which is going to require some rewiring (I guess).... anyway, that's it for tonight

fixed.... apparently the cable needs two clicks to be fully seated.... I love it when it's simple and am a bit embarrassed at the problem... ah well, I learn so you don't have to.

onto the spark.... this should be interesting (and taking bets on whether or not I simply throw an HEI on it - after all, I'm not planning on a power adder where spark control becomes necessary)....

I wish I had done this earlier... wow what a difference.
out with the old TBI distributor
UR2H6geh.jpg

in with the no-name, billet HEI (which I originally bought for this)
IjW0j77h.jpg

I'll say this again - to put a distributor in, on a SBC, rather then aiming the pointer at #1, aim it at #8 (the one after #1). Why? you want about 10-12* of advance dialed in. If you aim at 8, that's 12* advance.... and it'll fire immediately.
uLxSpqNh.jpg

and then
CNRE8E0h.jpg

cleaned up the wiring
h5Svhi2h.jpg

and the other side
lvvtIDFh.jpg

TPZOljSh.jpg

hose clamp to hold the fender on
gDXFUceh.jpg

fixing a leaky exhaust
KSI8hB3h.jpg

and it runs and drives far better then before....
O8tYTsPh.jpg

still a few things left, but that was a major item off the list

I swear that as I get older, I get away with less and less. For example, plug into a HEI
aQo0niRh.jpg

yesterday I drove the '40 out of the shop and it was idling in the yard. Then it stopped... wtf? those wires simple dropped off... I've used that same method countless times over the years and some have lasted that way for more then a decade.... not anymore, so fixing it right was in order
bought the correct, locking plug
0wiEXaHh.jpg

now soldered, and taped....
Mk3TwLhh.jpg

more fun
MpUFMzRh.jpg

and what else?
y4hLWeIh.jpg

Powermaster has screwed me for the very last time. First time was a starter that was DOA and had a 90 day warranty. At the same time I'd bought an alternator for my H3, and it almost burned it down. I mentioned something, somewhere about troubles with them and eventually they begged me to try them again - said they were a new company. Yeah, BS. This time the solenoid jammed and took out the relay as well... didn't know I put a relay on this.... Indeed, and it's dead.... screw you powermaster. There, you wanted my advertising.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom